Week 1 Discussion: Deadpool and R-rated Super Hero Movies

Baudin Toolan

Grepolis Team
We've decided to try out a weekly discussion format where the subject will change each week. This is not a debate and you don't need to argue your point. If you like this and it goes over well we'll continue the series.

For the first week's topic I'd like to discuss the upcoming Deadpool movie and it's R rating. Most super hero movies are rated pg13 and as such are toned down quite a bit. However Deadpool is a fantastically outrageous character and a pg13 rating would not feasibly work in converting his source material into silver screen format. So I want to know what are people's thoughts in regards to this movie having a more mature rating as well thoughts on other super hero movies having a similar rating in the future. Please remember to follow the forum rules, even though this is a topic on adult content to a certain extent.

DeletedUser8396

I think that it was a good choice, but it might hurt the sales for the movie a bit. I'd bet a decent portion of sales are from kids who's parents may not allow an R rating. Also, I hear outside the US violence is treated much more as a vulgarity and get higher ratings than they would in the US, so Im not sure how that might effect Global sales.

But I do hope it goes well. I like Deadpool's humor (or, at least, what I've seen of it).

DeletedUser44426

No doubt the movie is going to be a huge hit regardless of its R rating.

DeletedUser3613

TBH i am quite into the Marvel franchise but my kids know more about Deadpool than I do (lego marvel games ftw)

I will watch the film forst but will most likely end up letting my kids see it unless it has any crazy sex scenes or a character with severe Tourette syndrome

Baudin Toolan

Grepolis Team
What happens if Deadpool is a rousing success, and not just a normal success but a Marvel style success. If it breaks records and is even more popular than Marvel thought would they then consider making more Rated R superhero movies in the future? Not just Deadpool sequels but other characters in their own rated r movie.

DeletedUser44426

That would depend on what type of character they would want to feature.

DeletedUser49358

What happens if Deadpool is a rousing success, and not just a normal success but a Marvel style success. If it breaks records and is even more popular than Marvel thought would they then consider making more Rated R superhero movies in the future? Not just Deadpool sequels but other characters in their own rated r movie.

Its funny you would bring that up as I did an exact replica of that very incident with comic books in the bronze age or the dark age if you will. Comic books wanted to be more mature and include death and gruesome things into their books but found out the hard way that doing so ruined the images of the characters who's images they had worked so hard and long to build, so what did comic books do? they made specific characters to fill those gruesome and bloodthirsty request of their readers. No one wants to see Captain America use c4 to blow open a door whip out a sawed off double barrel shot gun and start popping heads like grapes, but EVERYONE wants to see the Punisher do exactly that because that's what the character does and is suppose to do and the same goes for Deadpool. In fact the Punisher has had two recent movies made in 2004 and 2008 both with an R rating, and his comic book is incredibly successful, and so is Deadpool's as well. Regardless of how successful a bloody Deadpool movie is I highly doubt that Marvel's other characters will start to be betrayed in the same fashion because the cutthroat mentality doesn't fit them.

Think of it this way, Deadpool recently had a video game made that was basically a huge running joke of how many times he could break the fourth wall and make sex jokes and explosions and what not and it was a successful video game, yet the new Batman Arkham Knight video games don't show Batman breaking the fourth wall because it doesn't fit the character.

btw here's the link to my comic book thread, post i was talking about is on page three, haven't been able to post new stuff but plan to get back to this thread very soon.
https://forum.en.grepolis.com/showthread.php?56065-Favorite-Comic-Book-Moments/page3