Why Didn't I Kill My Opponents Transport Boats In An Attack?

DeletedUser23705

This question is posted on the Wiki under FAQ, but has no answer. I am looking from the perspective of transports on the defense being attacked by light ships.

DeletedUser

If there was no naval or you killed all naval with LS and just transports where left I'd suggest there was still some land you didn't kill therefore the transports stayed.

DeletedUser23705

So unless all the land troops are killed, the transport ships survive?

DeletedUser

From my own experience, I believe that all other troops in the target city must be destroyed before transport ships are targeted. This means that if you are attacking by land, you may kill all of your opponent's land troops, but if they have any remaining light ships/biremes/etc, you will not destroy any transport ships. Equally, if you are attacking with naval units only, you may destroy all naval defences, but if there are land troops left in the city, you will not destroy the transport ships.

This may be wrong, in which case hopefully someone will correct me.

DeletedUser6210

Small correction from my own experience:

This transport thing is the game's way of preventing troops from getting stranded. Transport ships are 'tied' to the troops from their own town. If you support someone's town with them, they will all survive until the last soldier from their own town is killed - then they will die instantly if the attack includes naval. This sometimes means you can kill only a few of several T-ships in a harbour, which looks very strange - it just means there were no troops left that were their responsibility, so *pop*.