Why do we all hate Noob's?

• Thread starter DeletedUser27700
  • Start date

DeletedUser27700

This issue seems to come up alot but i have never heard an intelligent debate over this.

You see a new player. Doesn't know what He/She is doing yet but is going rapidly and may become a threat. So you have to make a decision; Take out the city or introduce yourself and make a friend.
You can easily take the city, but why would you punish that random player for in-experience?
You could meet the person and show them the trick's of the game and have a loyal friend or even member of the alliance for ever.

The thing is that the immediate gains seem to be better than the long term one. You get another city and remove another possible threat from the area.
Personally i have caught myself thinking that way recently and started to wonder why we all hate new players.

We all started somewhere. If we didn't get an opportunity to be left alone and figure things out or, better yet get a mentor to show us things, then we would not be the player's we are today.

So my question is; Why do we all hit the first person we think is a new player and get such joy from it? Why not teach that person instead?

DeletedUser

I think you would be hard-pressed to find someone who genuinely hates newbs, people tend to throw around the term to players who are inexperienced but shooting their mouths off, or players who make MRAs/turtle alliances.

Thrillology

Phrourach
I don't hate newbies, I always try to get new players into my alliances for a nice environment full of friendliness, unless they're mean to other players. :(

DeletedUser

Im a believer in finding local talent, recruiting them, and training them into awesome players. Ive trained a few over the years, some have stayed and joined other worlds, others have moved on.

I think the decision has to be made: can we afford a new player in the alliance or should we just use his/her city for food?

DeletedUser

As unfair as this sounds, I'm usually one for being in a small alliance with a few friends, and using everyone else as food... If a new person requests an invite, their message better be pretty convincing, both wishing for knowledge of the game, AND grammatically.

DeletedUser27700

Well i'm surprised at these findings thus far. Almost every player I've come across in-Game has picked of any new player they find.
Maybe we are just desensitized from being so used to hearing people use the word Noob in a bad manner. I have not played long relative to most people here, but i enjoy passing on what i have figured out myself and learned from others.
I am glad i'm not alone.

DeletedUser

For me, the word "noob" has an entire plethora of meanings. Someone who is new, yes, but more often than not, I apply it to someone with childish antics such as messaging someone in-game and being nasty, or simply being a little cretin in general. Noobish acts, however, when there are plenty of resources available to help a person learn what troops or ships to send, how to conquer a city...that also can gain the term of noob.

But, anyone who comes right out and says "Hey, I'm new and don't know the ropes." They aren't going to be hit with the more derogatory meaning of the word. Those people are most likely to gain help and advice from other players. There's a lot to be said when it comes to showing respect and polite etiquette.

DeletedUser

As unfair as this sounds, I'm usually one for being in a small alliance with a few friends, and using everyone else as food... If a new person requests an invite, their message better be pretty convincing, both wishing for knowledge of the game, AND grammatically.

Oh, I am in agreement with you, for the most part mate. I hate those members who just say 'can I join plz'. However, and I think it's the tutor in me, I fee more inclined to help those with some modicum of talent rise up in the ranks and actually become good Grepo-warriors. New Blood, who are decent, are always welcome.

DeletedUser

Oh, I am in agreement with you, for the most part mate. I hate those members who just say 'can I join plz'. However, and I think it's the tutor in me, I fee more inclined to help those with some modicum of talent rise up in the ranks and actually become good Grepo-warriors. New Blood, who are decent, are always welcome.

Precisely. People who make no effort to put forward a half decent attempt at an invite request message don't even get a thought in their honour. As for the good requests, they can be trialed. :cool:

Damn you and your knowledge! :p

DeletedUser

everybody hates noobs, but nothing wrong with newbs ;)

some of the best players i know, like milos21 for example, were total newbs (who obv showed some potential and willingness, even eagerness, to learn) when i recruited them but are now awesome players. to run with the milos example, he went from newb to #2 in xi behind socrates.

noobs, on the other hand are noobs forever - even once they've played for years and actually know how to play.

DeletedUser17088

I think Grepolis is the only game in the world where punishing Noobs in ingame is GENUINELY the best way for them to learn.

You want to learn to play grepo? you want to stick around and get the last laugh? well learning the hard way is most definitely the best way. So i say pwn as many noobs as you see and want to, if they are destined for awesomeness they will stick around and beast up in skill

DeletedUser12667

Huh, I dont hate the noobs, the ones I dislike are the meanee's who attack me. The ones who act like barbarians and try to plague the minds and create fear in my sophisticated people. I spend weeks training my people not how to fight, but how to become scientists or engineers so they can construct a wonderful city. And once their work is complete they can spend their time on the beach, or fishing, or any other non-violent recreational activity they choose. I find that when my people are threatened, I am the one(being the leader of my people) who is responsible in keeping them safe. So I use my diplomatic skills and send a message to the attacker asking them politely to stop creating fear and anxiety in my people. I also offer to teach them how to refrain from their barbaric behaviors and act moreso on a civilized behavior.

DeletedUser

I don't hate them but they're easy bp! Plus they build they're cities all nice :D

Though I'm relaxing and not farming for a while ;)

DeletedUser30767

Well as i myself was a newbie at grepolis when i joined olympia ... i thing i can say for sure is .. if you read the guides available in the help section properly .. you will be able to do well in the game ...
Plus a lot of vets in my alliance posted tips about what to do what not to do and how to progress in game so it helped a lot...

DeletedUser

I don't hate them but they're easy bp! Plus they build they're cities all nice :D

Though I'm relaxing and not farming for a while ;)

They build those cities all wrong :( its so sad to get theatres and crane researched...yuck...

You can't befriend every Noob, you have to find the ones who are real gems. Often they learn best when you attack them ;). One noob I met, Wandle, learnt the best after we Opped him, then we recruited him, and he is considered one of the most formidable players on Naxos. So, I would agree with FOTNS as well; attacking them definetly makes them learn. Grepolis is like Darwinsim, you adapt or die.

DeletedUser5554

My alliances always consisted of new players...I personally devote many slots to helping new players learn the game

DeletedUser27700

My alliances always consisted of new players...I personally devote many slots to helping new players learn the game

sounds like a good practice. I think every alliance should consist of at least 15% New players.

DeletedUser

They build those cities all wrong :( its so sad to get theatres and crane researched...yuck...

You can't befriend every Noob, you have to find the ones who are real gems. Often they learn best when you attack them ;). One noob I met, Wandle, learnt the best after we Opped him, then we recruited him, and he is considered one of the most formidable players on Naxos. So, I would agree with FOTNS as well; attacking them definetly makes them learn. Grepolis is like Darwinsim, you adapt or die.

Cities are okay, the researches are either messed up or nothing researched! Are you sure Wandle was a noob? Pretty sure he was a Pro Venom/OoC player. meh. New players can be annoying but yeah it's cool training them up and they save your backside from a few CS' ;)