Why shouldn't I build walls?

DeletedUser47836

Ehhhmmm. It is clearly demonstrated by your last link that both the advisor bonus as well as the phalanx bonus are taken from the attacking player (the besieger) rather than the 541 point city which is impossible to have phalanx to begin with. In other words the occupied city is part of the occupier's empire for the duration of the siege and any and all buffs applied to the siege with the exception of wall/tower buffs come directly from the city that initiated the siege rather than the occupied one. That is my understanding on the matter at least. I didn't actually test event buffs and tokens either but I don't see a reason why they would work differently than phalanx/advisors.

Rachel.L

Phrourach
advisors are not research alex as was originally asked
in that you are correct
however you have misunderstood how phalanx works (multiple players and threads agree with me) but i'm not arguing with you

DeletedUser47836

That is exactly my point. Don't ask around, rather, test for yourself. We can clearly see the phalanx bonus being applied from the city that initiated the siege to the 541point city yet that reality is false cause many people say otherwise? Well they are wrong then. As for the advisor seems like they where inactive in that example according to the poster at least so my point was mute, regardless, I already know for a fact advisor bonus of the attacker is used during the siege.

What is left is defence tokens and event buffs. For those i don't have evidence since I didn't manage to run the tests required. But I bet they follow the same principle as advisors and research. In fact I would consider it a bug if they don't.

Lethal-Bacon

Polemarch
Question about what gives bonus defense to the siege holder is simple.. whatever city in siege has researched gives defensive aid to the siege holder, if defender has commander/captain it also gives aid to the siege holder.
all defensive token buffs disappear once CS successfully lands and starts the siege process.
none of the things(research,premium,def tokens) that siege holder personally has gives him aid, in other words, its stupid to research phalanx, and ram in more less any city unless its a LS nuke and you need it for more damage..

and this is not a hearsay, this is what i noticed while playing conquest worlds for last 7 years(since first worlds were conquest).

I read in devblog that in case siege is successfully lifted by defender/defending ally all buffs that were active prior to the siege starting will be re-activated(fly tokens, def tokens,etc) , this is planned addition to the conquest worlds, still unsure when they will add it.

DeletedUser54161

I messaged DrApe11 in-game and he said he felt this question was answered to his satisfaction.
Time to move on.

giphy.gif

DeletedUser47836

Yeah buffs dissapear indeed, mb. I still disagree about the academy. Will test this first thing in August. Moving on. And thanks for discussion.

DeletedUser41523

dan, you've made your personal feelings on walls known many times over even tho they haven't worked out ig
since everyone else in this thread is actually offering ADVICE without name calling, and exchanging ideas without being rude, perhaps you could either help this player with explanations or go elsewhere as LY said

I literally explained exactly why people don't/shouldn't build walls in detail and what will happen if that person does build walls.

Not sure where I called anyone anything. In fact the only here being a distraction and talking about irrelevant things is you. Man it's likes I ruined a world for you or something....

Last edited by a moderator:

Lethal-Bacon

Polemarch
I literally explained exactly why people don't/shouldn't build walls in detail and what will happen if that person does build walls.

Not sure where I called anyone anything. In fact the only here being a distraction and talking about irrelevant things is you. Man it's likes I ruined a world for you or something....

females bruh.. :rolleyes:

DeletedUser1359

This will be a little controversial given the sound advice of everyone above but I would advise a brand new player (with moderate to low activity) to build a wall as one of their priorities, certainly at the start of the game whilst they learn the game mechanics.

The truth of the matter is that if you are unlucky enough to start on an island with a few experienced players then as a new player learning the ropes, you are probably going to be farmed like crazy. Nothing puts a farmer off more than a lvl 10 wall with a few hundred troops (or militia) behind it making clearing and farming you really expensive. Early on in the world people will concentrate on expanding as quickly as possible and if you have a wall with lots of defensive troops (hoplites, swords and archers) then people will also view your city as an expensive take and may look for easier targets.

Pretty much any 'golder' does this and it is a good defensive strategy for the start of a new world unless you are surrounded by active allies/friends

As the game progresses and you start learning tricks like sniping and use alarm then I think it is a good idea to pull down your wall.

I tend to keep walls in cities on red islands. Chances are that the enemy will EQ/Catapult the wall down anyway to minimize their losses when they attack and clear your city. If not then you maximise the 'cost' of taking your city giving you plenty of BPs towards your next city

Rachel.L

Phrourach
Funny dan how two ppl call you out but you only respond to me.
You'd think you have a problem with women.

So dan why aren't you on gpc anymore?

Stop throwing stones. Especially when you can't even tell you are casting them.

AK go lose another world.

Last edited:

DeletedUser41523

@Rachel.L

Two people are calling me out? I only see you here. Also the only world we've shared, I won and crowned lmao.

Pretty sure you're randomly casting them here. And while this little crush of yours is flattering and I'm impressed that you've stayed so focused on me for over a year now. I swiped left, babe move on. :)

Anyways that aside, I've come here to agree with @richieup about walls and turtling. But wanted to add that the player should expect to get targeted still a lot of the premades I've run with will go after walls on day 1. They're likely going to lose their city. But they can stack up on DLU and a 15+ wall and make it a bit longer. They can take what they learned to the rim.

I'd also advise talking to active players, even if attacked by them. A lot won't mind passing on advice. Most conquests aren't personal and people are happy to help. :)