Why the need for censorship ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser17088

I'm gonna have to join the other side on one issue. And before you guys start screaming "what this is madness" I must explain. We were obviously spam advertising a forum that we named Spa rtard forums. Adam had a perfectly good reason to ban the word, we were using it in our advertisements. It was in the url. Since he removed the word, he wouldn't have to go around giving out infractions for advertisement.

-----------------

As for a solution to the problem... Arguing is never going to solve anything. If you've ever looked at American politics you can easily see that. So I'll come to a midpoint. Adam, how about we change the domain name of our forums to something like Spartacular forums and you can ban "Spartacular" instead so that we can actually talk about our alliance without being censored.

good post Jarp

I forgot to add that you are free to mail myself and other Titans on this issue in the mean time, especially if your going to have a heated opinion on it :)

DeletedUser4577

I'm gonna have to join the other side on one issue. And before you guys start screaming "what this is madness" I must explain. We were obviously spam advertising a forum that we named Spa rtard forums. Adam had a perfectly good reason to ban the word, we were using it in our advertisements. It was in the url. Since he removed the word, he wouldn't have to go around giving out infractions for advertisement.

-----------------

As for a solution to the problem... Arguing is never going to solve anything. If you've ever looked at American politics you can easily see that. So I'll come to a midpoint. Adam, how about we change the domain name of our forums to something like Spartacular forums and you can ban "Spartacular" instead so that we can actually talk about our alliance without being censored.

:heh: - What is this madness!!?!?

lol...

DeletedUser

- Lol, Well if sparta got banned for the link then having a website as your name is much worse right? lol...

Anyways yeah I agree some alliance names can become offensive and so forth and need to be banned or at least told "Hey this is in some circles an offensive message so from hence forth your name will need to be changed and wont appear as it is now again. Thank you and we hope you understand since this is a grepolis community building forum/site/ect. ect...."

As for the link being posted about the sparta thing it probably shouldnt have been posted in the first place since I am sure somewhere in the rules it stats you cannot advertise outside sites/forums.

The point is,

They arent banning the name because its so offensive - because frankly its not that offensive and I do have relatives with mental health issues, but I am an adult who realises that this is in no way meant with malice or hatred like a team called "The KKK" would definitely be.

They have said they banned it because it advertised an outside forum, but thats nonsense, you just remove the hotlinks from peoples sigs if its an issue and warn them not to do it. Although actually there are the multiple dual standards there as well.

- There are many scripts that are legal to use, advertised in a part of the forums hosted on outside sites
- Grepostats is widely recognised in the forums
- Skype is discussed in the forums which can have huge chatrooms of grepogoers and I have seen many times "Epsilon Chat on skype with a link posted by people and have met many moderators online in Skype using them, so thats never been a problem
- The victim finder has tons of adverts for other games but is widely discussed with its links

There is even a whole section of the forum for graphical productions with other products and software that is discussed at great length, so this is hardly a big deal if some kids wanna start they're own little grepogroup, heaven forbid they might be encouraged to seek a career in the gaming business and maybe help Innogames develop the next killer online experience.

J.

--------------------------------------------

-----------------

Interesting post Jarp,

Thanks for clarifying from your side.

But there shouldnt be a need to ban a word at all.

We have rules that are enforced about links and such, so just enforce those rules and keep words out of the equation.

Although as I said earlier, if you want to make a forum about your favourite online game then all power to you, Inno should be thanking you for getting the word out and trying to give a place for people to chat that perhaps doesnt suffer the same modding restrictions as here.

Once again i can see a benefit to Grepolis if you have the cuddly forum for 90% of users and the other 10% of current users plus perhaps the 25% of users who have left this one because they feel so oppressed and restricted.

Everyone wins.

Edited to add - I have to laugh when I get de-repped by Pythagorus, a mod, because i need to get over myself for starting a discussion to look awesome. I own my own business, I race cars and am a Judge for drift events around europe, I had a Porsche GT3 by the time I was 33 and I earn over 100grand a year - Im already awesome pal, I dont need an internet wang off to get high !!

There is such a thing as principle, and this is one time I think a position of authority has been abused.

J.

Thanks Chrss - couldnt compute !! lol

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

If you haven't realized it by now, the word was not censored based on the alliance, it was based off the other forum and its purpose.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't notice Tyrion's post.

I know, I am a user in that forum, but still
It is a alliance name, and the alliance is older that the forum
he can censor the entire link, that would allow us to post the alliance name, but not allow advertising
and he does realize that we can make a new one at any time?

DeletedUser

Interesting post Jarp,

Thanks for clarifying from your side.

But there shouldnt be a need to ban a word at all.

We have rules that are enforced about links and such, so just enforce those rules and keep words out of the equation.

Although as I said earlier, if you want to make a forum about your favourite online game then all power to you, Inno should be thanking you for getting the word out and trying to give a place for people to chat that perhaps doesnt suffer the same modding restrictions as here.

Once again i can see a benefit to Grepolis if you have the cuddly forum for 90% of users and the other 10% of current users plus perhaps the 25% of users who have left this one because they feel so oppressed and restricted.

Everyone wins.

J.

Well think, users were advertising in at least 20 different places at different points of time. It would take quite a long time to find and remove these advertisements. Also, People who had already been given infractions would just come back and do it again. Adam could not simply ban the players in question as the players that were doing the ads comprise of at least 40% of the posts here. He had to ban the word.

DeletedUser

Its the principle mate.

And as much as the word is one part, the "I did it because I can" attitude is the thing that really stinks.

I have had the pleasure of playing with quite a few moderators now ingame and I know they are OK in the main, so its just the few plus this high handedness coming from above that gives it such a taint.

I wont reply anymore as you seem chilled about it all and if there is a possible resolution then so be it, but i think Immogames need to take a long look at certain aspects of all this and perhaps realise there is more than one way to skin a cat, and this way isnt working.

J.

DeletedUser

Some of you think that the mods went on Omega, saw the name and decided to censor.

Well thats wrong.

They censored only "Sρartard" because it was in the address of a url. That url led to a forum where there were heated debates about Innogames and Grepolis, even some of the staff here posted on it.
Some players then wrote that url address on their signatures and homepages encouraging players visit it.

So Ac04 decided to infract everyone with that url and delete it. That just made things worse and more people got angry, so he decided to censor the word as he couldn't sort the situation out like a real man.

So in conclusion, we can't have freedom of speech here, and I doubt the word will ever be uncensored as the mods don't want to seem weak.

Just my 2 cents.

Freedom of speech is irrelevant in a privately owned forum.

DeletedUser4013

My turn to reply to this, and I hope that this matter will be settled.

We raise a serious point and we get this?

I think I might leave this forum, I can't believe that someone is allowed to be a Co-Community Manager with that attitude.

And what did you expect? That he would give you an apology and make things better? All you have done by continuing this bickering over the filtering of a word is make the matter worse. I have already repeated that Gordon stated that the decision was made, and will be revisited.

...I think it's because a lot of the players in this MS have been complaining about the way things are going, personally. That's why some people are trying to make it difficult.

Exactly, many times alliances are referred to by their initials. If it's posted in Omega, we'll know who MS is.

The censorship is causing more disruption than when it wasn't, can't you read?

No, the filter system has been in place for quite some time now. The only disruption that has been caused is by those players who feel slighted in some way about this filtering. There is no dispute over why the word was filtered, so why are you complaining about it still being filtered?

...Can you also see why the response of "Because I removed it" isn't really good enough from a community manager?

No, it was not the best response and I am sure that Ac04 realizes this, however, look at this from his point of view. Not a single player on these forums is willing to listen to what he has to say. Therefore, he felt justified in posting that the word was filtered because he could. If you walked 500 miles in his shoes...just saying.

I might agree with you if this was the ONLY "infraction" that exists we complain about....but it isn't and so therefore your opinion is wrong.......

Dom, you will pick a fight over anything and join one even if it has little to do with you as well. The filtering of a word has little to do with your petty squabbles in Epsilon and elsewhere, even if you are a member of that forum.

please don't ban me but:
GROW UP ADAM!!!!!!!
You can't just decide to censor a alliance name!
You can't ban people for hating you, or other mods
You can not tell me how someone will name a alliance

The word was filtered before the alliance was created. No one has ever been banned for dislike or being hated. Names of an alliance are subject to the rules, Ingame Mods have the right to ask that a name be changed if it is found to be offensive.

That there is the whole point.

We should not be treated like that just because someone can.

True, however, as I pointed out in my response to one of Owen66's posts: take a look at the situation from the other side. The picture is a whole lot different, and the grass is never greener.

I know, I am a user in that forum, but still
It is a alliance name, and the alliance is older that the forum
he can censor the entire link, that would allow us to post the alliance name, but not allow advertising
and he does realize that we can make a new one at any time?

The alliance MS did not exist before that forum. I know because I read all of the pre-made threads as part of my area to keep an eye on. I also keep watch over new worlds as do the other Titans and that alliance was not there before that forum. Attempts at making a link to a new forum and advertising it will not be allowed. You can try it if you like and see the results for yourself. Of all the senior forum staff, I am the one that will come down harshest for repeated violations of the rules.

If the url was posted by someone Adam didn't know I doubt it would have been censored.

That is not true. Ac04 would have dealt with it in the same manner. As would all of the senior staff.

DeletedUser

I'm sick of all you mods speaking on behalf of Adam, half the time you give out mixed views and it just makes things worse.

Can't Adam just post and explain himself for once? I'm sure we'd be happier.

DeletedUser4013

Ah, so now you feel ready to listen to the reasons and decisions that brought about the filtering of a word?

DeletedUser

No, I already know the reasons. I just want an explanation from Adam about his attitude and his actions towards the subject, and why he treated us so badly.

DeletedUser6029

Tyrion,
Let's recap shall we....
D&D - I fought about double standards
Epsilon - I fought about double standards
Omega - I fought about double standards

I fail how this shows I will pick a fight about anything. It just shows a pattern of double standards.....
I'd also like to say, I have been pretty silent on this thread, as it isn't my war....I do however understand their points. My beef sits proudly on Epsilon knowing full well nothing will ever be done to either of them......

DeletedUser

That is not true. Ac04 would have dealt with it in the same manner. As would all of the senior staff.

I don't believe that's completely true...

I have gotten an Advertisement infraction before... It was worth 1 points. It has been a minor 1-point-expires-in-a-week infraction for as long as I can remember. The infraction I received for Adam from advertisement was worth 3 points and does not expire until October.

The extra points could have been for repetition but I'm sure I remember the first person to do it also received 3 points.

DeletedUser

This is madness!

this-is-madness.jpg

On topic though. I do not have time to write a full-fledged point here, but I think that censoring the word is inappropriate, if advertising starts again then censor it again, but I am sure that since we now know about the situation thoroughly, we can act accordingly.

My opinion on the mods is that overall, they are a respectful bunch and I have had relatively good relations with them. But obviously there are those that have some sort of bias when it comes to personal comments. When it comes to this social hierarchy in the forums, mods obviously feel like they are on the top, along with the very experienced and well-liked forum personalities. Honestly, there is an extreme amount of bias in some moderators, and that directly counteracts the POINT in moderators.

A referee MUST be unbias in the World Cup, correct? That is correct, but human nature cannot cope with being completely unbias, which leaves a reasonable space for error on the mods part, which is understandable. Yet, if I were to directly call Baudin Toolan (who I like quite much actually) a r e t a rd , which is HIGHLY derogatory and disrespectful towards not only Baudin, but many mentally disabled human beings so I would get an immediate infraction. However, if I were to call Bladerider (cool dude) a re t ard , I think I would most likely get a warning for inappropriate language.

The example was not directed towards anyone, so do not take any offense.

At the time, censoring the word was sensible, but now it is no big deal, and as long as us S P A R TA RDS can be big boys and girls, I doubt it will be a problem in the future.

Unfortunately, this is applicable to some mods :( (yes I know I have posted this pic elsewhere)

forum1%5B1%5D.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.