Windows 10 desktop icon positions are not saved

DeletedUser

Windows 10 desktop icon positions are not saved [SOLVED BUG]

Do we have any computer gurus here?

System Specs:
Win 10x64 Ent
Nvidia GTX 970 -355.98

Problem:
My desktop icons are reset to the default left side position of desktop at every startup/restart. I have googled the problem for a while and found out the following:
- Yes, I did a full system scan with Nod32, but I do not remember when this problem started to accur.
- I tried installing the DesktopOk and when I click on save icons layout the icons are saved with the default alignment to the left. As if there is some sort of a default file loaded in the memory that keeps my icons to the left.
- My auto align option is not checked
- I did a clean video driver re-install using 3dGuru drive sweeper
- I tried the rebuild icon cache script
- Clicking Refresh after I place icons to where I want them does not help

Why my icons are predetermined to be on the left side. For example, the key icon i am following is the Recycle Bin. Right now its position is set to the Upper Left corner. Even if I move it and then save with DesktopOk, it moves to the upper left corner by itself during the save.

I am trying another utility right now:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/save-and-restore-desktop-icon-layout-in-windows-vista/

It works on Win 10. I wonder if there is possibility of creating a .bat file, which will run at every startup, that will run this software's Restore Icons option by itself?-

I am pretty much out of options here.

Can anyone help me with this problem? And I know about the clean install option , but I don't want to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

This is due to Not32 bug.

In case anyone runs into this problem and a lot of internet sources suggest that there is no cure for this
bug but a Win OS reinstall, here is the sollution:

A FIX WAS FOUND ON THE ESET WEBSITE
I will provide the FIX here and walk you through it
FIX was found by AREZCO

In regedit go to those 2 destinations

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1}\InProcServer32\
and
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1}\InProcServer32\

Double click on (Default) and replace "%SystemRoot%\SysWow64\shell32.dll" with "%SystemRoot%\system32\windows.storage.dll" in both file destinations then restart your PC and everything should work fine !!

You will need to read this to edit those reg keys:
http://www.groovypost.com/howto/take-full-permissions-control-edit-protected-registry-keys/