Inactive Topic World Map- Ancient Greece

DeletedUser

Proposal:
Briefly, the idea is to change how the map for new or specially designated worlds is designed so that it reflects the actual land masses and islands of Classical Greece.

Reason:
I believe this would be an enhancing aspect of the game, as it adds an incredible amount of strategic depth, as well as other benefits.

Benefits: There are a few things I think this would add to the game:
1. Historical Accuracy
While obviously not a priority or necessity for Grepolis, it would be neat for the gameplay to match the historical setting. I think this would appeal to history/Classics buffs who may be casual gamers, but so enamored with the idea of playing a game that reflects Ancient Greece they decide to stick around. I don't see it as a detractor to people who aren't that into history as they likely don't feel strongly either way.

2. Tactics/Strategic Depth
The depth this would add to strategy, tactics and politics is my favorite aspect of the idea. Now, instead of desperately trying to build up the same amount of troops and ships as everyone else in the world, players build according to the strengths/weaknesses of the local geography. Examples:

"Land vs. Sea"
A player whose city is deep within Thessaly has no need for a fleet until he conquers someone on the coast. At that point, he may have to shift research and builds to forming one while also maintaining the land defensive/offensive strategies he developed with his original city. The opposite would apply, of course, to someone on Andros.

"Diversifying Talent"
Alliances form based on so much more than who is close to whom. To be truly powerful, alliances must diversify their talent and locations. No presence on the mainland limits growth, so the island players must cooperate with the landlocked players.

"Key Strongholds"
This could either be implemented as a separate feature, or merely played out through the placement of cities. The passage from Peloponessus to Attica is only possible through Corinth, thus this becomes a focal point for alliances on either side as it was in Ancient Greece.

"Know Your Gods"
Think the Athenians cared more about Poseidon than Hades? Yeah, me too. Think the Macedonians did? Yeah, me either.

3. Specialization
If players wish, this setup would allow for "specialization" or development of expertise. Players may decide to be exclusively land based (armies) or exclusively island based (pirates!). This would be achieved through focus on existing techs and buildings (e.g., barracks vs. harbor). Alliances can focus on balance by seeking out one or the other (imagine in the World Forum- "Wanted: Pirate, 2000+ points"). This would resemble the ability for essentially a class-system without additional coding or development.

Of course there are numerous other ways this would change the fundamental strategy, but one of the principle things this would combat (but obviously not eliminate) is the "arms-race" that turns off hundreds of players and leaves us with those 175ers.

Drawbacks
The downfall here, quite plainly, is that players will not start on a completely even playing field. However, let's be honest- the level of intelligence it takes to figure out you don't need boats when you're landlocked is equal to the level of intelligence required to check an email. We're all smart people here, we can figure it out. And if we can't, there's always the Wiki.

Additionally, this will likely elicit some backlash from some of the experienced player base although I would like to think the majority would welcome a change. It can also be implemented so that people may choose- maybe every 3rd world is mapped this way and the others have the original map.

Details:
The map would be an accurate or near accurate reflection of Ancient Greece. The largest change would be how people play the game, as illustrated above.

Visual Aids:
c151b479e8.jpg

Balance:
As it stands now, the only adjustments I can see as necessary are the physical changes to the maps and potentially giving players a *vague* option of where to start. Possibly by dividing the map in to sort of "states" as it is currently divided into "oceans".

I'm sure people in the comments will help me find more changes that would be necessary, so I will leave it to the wolves.

Abuse Prevention:
I can't see any potential for cheating or abuse here, unless the bottlenecks like Corinth result in people trying to multi to capture the entire region.

Summary:
As you can see, the idea is fairly simple but I think could add a great deal to the game in both gameplay and aesthetics. Some questions people should weigh in on might be:

- whether we think people would actually enjoy playing like this;
- whether there will be distinct advantages/disadvantages to being only land or only sea which are not offset by the associated disadvantages/advantages;
- how difficult this will be to code vs. how many more people it might draw in;
- the level of uproar this may cause among older players who have set strategies and don't want to give them up.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Looking forward to everyone's comments!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser12815

I like the Idea and I am glad it would not be on evvery world. Also would famed city states like Athens or Sparta be incorparated into the game.:cool::):cool:

DeletedUser

I love the idea but I doubt they would change the map ):

DeletedUser2795

This would radically change game-play, as well as that I feel like it has been suggested before and I am not sure what the out-come of that was.

DeletedUser

I like the Idea and I am glad it would not be on evvery world. Also would famed city states like Athens or Sparta be incorparated into the game.:cool::):cool:

I think famed cities could easily be incorporated with minimal change to the base code by using the new World Wonder system- make the cities essentially an "island" on land (for functional purposes) so that alliances would have to conquer all parts of the city/island and then it would act just as World Wonders do.

This would radically change game-play, as well as that I feel like it has been suggested before and I am not sure what the out-come of that was.

The point of the idea is to radically change game-play, but only from the player side and not the development side. By adding diversity to the strategy and gameplay with minimal coding work, we could attract more players, retain more players and boast a high flexibility not found in a majority of other RTS games.

Also, I'm very sorry if this has been suggested before. I looked through the Do Not Suggest list as well as the other list of suggestions and didn't see it, but I'm sure I could have easily missed it.

DeletedUser3393

I would love the game to have more impact of Land troops.
Especially the speeds of land troops.. as it is right now, after a few cities their speeds don't matter.

Love the idea

DeletedUser

Love this idea, I hope it is implemented.

Also an idea: You should add Italy to this map, and Sicily and Sardinia as well. The Greeks colonized there, too.

DeletedUser2795

The point of the idea is to radically change game-play, but only from the player side and not the development side. By adding diversity to the strategy and gameplay with minimal coding work, we could attract more players, retain more players and boast a high flexibility not found in a majority of other RTS games.

If you can convince me that this radically changes gameplay with out making the game any different, then I will support it.

DeletedUser

If you can convince me that this radically changes gameplay with out making the game any different, then I will support it.

Why should we play the same old game again and again? We need a more dynamic game than our present game.

DeletedUser

Sample Strategy

Here's a very basic (and poorly done) example of how the basic, overarching strategies adopted by alliances could differ in the proposed map versus the current map.

I've attached the two maps with what looks like third grader coloring on them, but I'm not very apt at this type of thing so please bear with me.

Current
The current map shows my understanding of how worlds start and generally play out as time goes on:

1. Major alliances form, for the most part, in their own oceans.
2. Those alliances then try to conquer that ocean (all the arrows pointing out).
3. After conquering their ocean, alliances then move toward another ocean occupied by weaker alliances because the expansion in that direction is easiest to accomplish and brings little confrontation with the other two majors.
4. Alliances A, B, and C eventually converge and you have a land-grabbing contest in the unoccupied ocean.

Proposed
The same strategy from the Current map listed above could apply, as illustrated. Alliances A, B and C all take individual paths to Thebes which is potentially a World Wonder site and a focal point in the overall map.

However, alliance A is at a distinct disadvantage because they began as an island based alliance. All of their builds and power has been focused on naval dominance so they must take the long and arduous path of establishing a foothold on Euoboea, shifting focus to land strategy to get to the western coast, shifting back to naval war to get across the channel and then moving westward to Thebes.

Alliances B and C have much easier paths to Thebes, but as they slug it out A will eventually reach Thebes and make it much more difficult for any of the 3 to gain the upperhand in the battle for the site.

Instead... (the Purple- I just now realized that doesn't make sense but it's too late to change it)

A simple strategy would be for A and B to either team up or merge, however they would like to play it. As A slowly moves towards Thebes, B harasses and detracts C's efforts with the short route to their territory. A requires much less effort to reach Thebes and is able to spend any extra manpower on conquering the remaining islands.

This brings politics into play as well. B would of course insist on a merge at the onset, as the temptation for A to take Thebes for their own would be too great to risk taking them for their word that both would merge later. But if they merge, C might then try to gobble up smaller alliances on the flank of A (in the islands) to slow A's progress to Thebes.

Summary:
Obviously, much of this is conjecture and it is extremely skewed toward my proposal, but I think it's an easy illustration of how in-depth the gameplay could actually get compared to the arms-race and sprint for the weaker ocean in order to expand.

Attaching significance to the geography makes it easier to develop meaningful goals, and thus more in-depth tactics and cooperation.

Thoughts, comments, criticisms are more than welcome! Again, thanks for reading.

DeletedUser2795

Alright, I have considered my view on this idea, it it shall be as follows:
As long as the change is not to complex*, then I will support it. But it will require a lot of tweaking and fixing until it can be implemented, and if/when it is implemented, it should happen in the next major update (ie, grepo 3.0).
*"not to complex" is defined as: The only major change is that there are now inland villages. There are no major changes to WW's, troops speed, etc. The only changes are as follows:
  • There are now inland cities
  • These inland cities can only make land troops
  • Sea related spells can not affect land cities (this would probably happen anyways)
  • Islands will now vary more dramatically in size, to allow for more inland cities. But no islands shall exceed certain sizes
  • I will add anything I forgot. I will not add things that I do not want.

DeletedUser

Alright, I have considered my view on this idea, it it shall be as follows:
As long as the change is not to complex*, then I will support it. But it will require a lot of tweaking and fixing until it can be implemented, and if/when it is implemented, it should happen in the next major update (ie, grepo 3.0).
*"not to complex" is defined as: The only major change is that there are now inland villages. There are no major changes to WW's, troops speed, etc. The only changes are as follows:
  • There are now inland cities
  • These inland cities can not make land troops
  • Sea related spells can not affect land cities (this would probably happen anyways)
  • Islands will now vary more dramatically in size, to allow for more inland cities. But no islands shall exceed certain sizes
  • I will add anything I forgot. I will not add things that I do not want.

What is the logic behind forbidding them to make land troops? They should, and they should be able to ship them off from a coastal city.

DeletedUser2795

sorry, I meant to say that they can not make naval troops or that they can only make sea troops :p

DeletedUser3393

One major component that it will add is conservation of tech space and REAL Fortresses.

An Alliance can conquer a whole island and all the inland cities would be 100% support and all the naval cities would be the only base for Colony Ships..

This would also mean that enemies will know what to target.

I am not yet sure whether it is possible to attack the inland cities directly by other island's cities (where troops leave the boats on the shore and travel inwards).

If it is, this could lead to very unique missions.

DeletedUser2795

No, keep it as simple as possible. Do not try to expand until the basic idea is tried and tested.

DeletedUser

One major component that it will add is conservation of tech space and REAL Fortresses.

An Alliance can conquer a whole island and all the inland cities would be 100% support and all the naval cities would be the only base for Colony Ships..

This would also mean that enemies will know what to target.

You're correct- this will require that individuals re-tool their strategies to best match the placement of their city. Additionally, alliances will have be much more focused and goal-oriented because, as you pointed out, if all the cities on the coast of an island belong to one alliance, the cities inland on that island can perform a purely supportive role.

I am not yet sure whether it is possible to attack the inland cities directly by other island's cities (where troops leave the boats on the shore and travel inwards).

If it is, this could lead to very unique missions.

This may add too much complexity to the initial implementation. As it stands now, it's just a matter of changing the visuals and sizes of islands. However, this would certainly be a possibility (maybe a future tech??) for later tweaking.

No, keep it as simple as possible. Do not try to expand until the basic idea is tried and tested.

I agree, but one thing I neglected to mention would be that World Wonder sites would be limited to the major cities/focal points discussed earlier.

E.g., the 6(?) World Wonders might be: Thebes, Corinth, Andros Island, Sardis, Rhodes and Sparta. Not necessarily these 6, I just picked them because they were major parts of Ancient Greek history and are fairly spread out from each other.

World Wonders would still function in the same way they currently do, in that there are 20 cities on the spot that needs to be conquered. The only difference would be some of the World Wonders would be "groups" of 20 cities on land and some would still be large islands.

DeletedUser2795

WW's could not be that limited, just limited to islands of larger size, maybe it could be increased form 20 players to 30 players per island or something.

DeletedUser3393

They don't have to be limited to islands of larger size. They can be historically correct,

e.g. The Great Lighthouse of Alexandria, Colossus can be right next to islands

And others can be Completely inland, or close to the ocean.

This new map will make the wonders look more real.