Inactive Topic World Map- Ancient Greece

DeletedUser

And yet more rambling ideas...

There could be different types of cities - proper cities could host armies. But there could also be villages (produce various types of goods and deal with trade) and even farmsteads / mining camps, etc. that produce raw goods. Doing this would obviously diverge gameplay massively but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Terrain location could give defence bonuses - eg. a well placed city on a mountain range, costal area or valley could act as a barrier to invading armies and thus be a highly sought after location that would encounter almost constant battles.

With Unit.JS it would be possible to actually show armies travelling across the map (just as icons or something) - you'd see your own armies but if they get within a certain range of another army that would appear also. When you send out an army, you could tell it whether to attack any enemy armies it encounters or try and avoid them. In other words, actually have the option to have battles between cities and even in the oceans. Imagine naval battles out at sea! You could have armies that are on patrol - guarding a trade route, or the narrow stretch of ocean between two islands, or the coastline, etc.

And... trade routes - currently a lot of trade stuff is manual, but maybe the sim players would want to focus on setting up trade routes where there would be constant trade between various cities. Building roads to speed up the trade and asking cities to defend them. The larger trading cities would then become strategically important as well - capture one of them and you could seriously disrupt an enemy alliance's resource availability - their sims would need to set up new routes and their warring players would need to recapture the city.

Ok, I'm going to stop now! :)

DeletedUser17088

As soon as i saw an actual map 'not going to happen' entered my mind, There would have to be huge changes to the game to make land locked cities able to conquer as well as how a regular island city would conquer a land locked city

New researches, new conquer unit, New random polis placing when you start the world etc, your pretty much asking to change the whole game because you like geography and history :D

It is a good idea though and would be cool to play in actual Greece, Its very unlikely that the developers would be willing to make so many changes to a game that plays well enough with a fictional setting

DeletedUser

I'm not sure this idea will ever make it in to Greppo, but I do think it could be the foundations for a whole new breed of game.

For example, if there were different things you could occupy - such as cities, towns and villages, then those could feasibly be different games running on the same map on the same world, each type of thing catering to a different audience but all interacting on some level. Villages (where raw resources are produced) might only be able to interact with towns (where resources are turned in to tools and other useful things). Towns would be able to interact with villages and cities (which use the products made by towns).

You could also have "roaming" players who do not occupy a city/town/village - for example, a player who is an army commander, a navy admiral or a spy. In terms of spying, and getting jobs as a mercenary, you could visit the pub/tavern in any town or city - it would act like a chat room and you'd have to actually go round talking to people to find out information, or visit the actual towns/cities/villages, etc. At cities, the leader could recruit mercenary armies or navy in return for resources/products/information - and mercenaries would get "reputation" based on their kill ratio or wins, so they better they are the more they can demand in return for their services.

So, picture if you will a giant geographically correct map where the terrain and location greatly affects gameplay such as what resources are available, which units can be made, etc. And on that map a mixture of different types of settlements catering to different styles of gameplay (sim city, transport, production, trade, conquest, etc) with trade routes between them. And then add in roaming players - mercenaries for hire, spies, merchants and so on. And then the pubs/taverns where the locals can go to post notices, recruit, or just chat.

If you then added something like a fog of war, imagine exploring the map to reveal it bit by bit (or just recruit spies to do it for you, or see the land explored by your alliance) - and if the cities/troops/etc. were different in different regions of the map you'd start encountering things you have no idea about - you wouldn't know what strategies to use to defeat them, etc. Or you might be the first to open a new trade route that brings in a valuable new resource, or you might discover new technologies or tools and sell them for great profit...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Oh, and imagine being able to station troops (or put them on patrol) anywhere on the map (so long as you can supply them with food or get them to raid villages)...

Have your fleet of ships patrolling your part of the island costline, or your troops patrolling an important trade route. Imagine mercenaries being able to intercept trade convoys to steal their goods, then imagine accompanying those convoys with an protective army and so on...

You could station garrisons of troops in a narrow valley for a defence bonus, or your archers on hills for an attack bonus...

You could define what each group of your army does when it encounters the enemy - run away, stand and fight, sabotage their equipment, etc...

DeletedUser2795

It sounds like you have a whole new idea. Either post it as a new, separate idea/discussion (discussion would probably do in the agora), and let people discuss it, without actually considering it for implementation in Grepolis, but just as an idea.

DeletedUser

As soon as i saw an actual map 'not going to happen' entered my mind, There would have to be huge changes to the game to make land locked cities able to conquer as well as how a regular island city would conquer a land locked city

New researches, new conquer unit, New random polis placing when you start the world etc, your pretty much asking to change the whole game because you like geography and history :D

It is a good idea though and would be cool to play in actual Greece, Its very unlikely that the developers would be willing to make so many changes to a game that plays well enough with a fictional setting

While it is, admittedly, a fairly large change in gameplay, as I've said before I don't think it changes the "whole game." The biggest changes here are, as you mentioned, new random polis placement and a new conquer unit. However, the "new" conquer unit is just a CS that has the same travel properties as any other land unit, e.g., chariots (I imagine this is a minimal amount of coding to switch).

As proposed, and what is a big part of the strategic depth I discussed, the land-locked cities cannot conquer island cities and vice versa. They can, however, conquer coastal cities on the same land mass. This is why it becomes necessary to switch from naval-strategy to land-based strategy when you conquer a coastal city. Also, no new researches are necessary as the Colony Ship research just doubles up.

While there are clearly some issues here and things to be discussed, I think the actual changes to the game (engine, units, research) are less dramatic than they appear. In my view, it's how people actually play the game (as individuals making decisions) that changes the most.

DeletedUser

A huge paradigm shift in gameplay is EXACTLY what I personally need. I am done with plain KILL KILL KILL games. Grepo has some politics, but there has to be more.

DeletedUser15946

I agree. If that is not gonna happen, why they don't lock thread and say so?

DeletedUser

Maybe if they decided to make a new version this could be implemented?

DeletedUser15946

Then why they don't tell us so?
And don't forget it has to be voted before adding it

DeletedUser17088

There is currently no 'Ideas Moderator' to keep these forums up to date, please be patient until a new moderator is appointed

DeletedUser

Now that this thread has moved, should I edit the OP to reflect changes?

DeletedUser2524

I like this idea, but it definetily should not be in every world. It might be a little to game changing for me. I need to think about it.

DeletedUser15946

I don't understand why new ideas go for a vote, and this doesn't?? It is clear it will have great support, if this idea is not to be implanted on every new world.

DeletedUser

personnaly, i think that it would just make thing complicated. i rather like the loads of islands system. i give it a 40% support. not high on my like list.