Inactive Topic World Map- Ancient Greece

DeletedUser17088

Reasons why this idea probably wouldn't ever be implemented

1)basing the world maps on Greece would limit the number of islands more than it is at the moment
2) changing the whole map system would be incredibly expensive
3)would need a whole graphic redesign
4)lots of coding
5)The current island system and map layout works well the way it is, and Innogames wont fix it if it isn't broke

DeletedUser

OK, but how would a landlocked player conquer other players? Obviously they can't use a colony ship! (And where would they get the drinking water?)

DeletedUser

wells and rivers. and I imagine you would have some sort of really large wagon or something.

this would take a huge amount of coding though

DeletedUser

1)basing the world maps on Greece would limit the number of islands more than it is at the moment
4)lots of coding
5)The current island system and map layout works well the way it is, and Innogames wont fix it if it isn't broke

Look, i don't mean to be rude, but surely, if this Idea improves the game, and attracts more people, then it could be implemented? By saying it won't be because it takes too much coding, then why the heck did they make a game? The Devs are Professionals, surely a huge amount of coding shouldn't stop them making a Brilliant improvement to the game?

It would be Money well spent imo. And prehaps this New Island System and map layout could work better? And attract more people, which is what Innogames wants right?

The should change it if it works better - I wouldn't have a problem if They ran a tester world, where say Mods and experienced players were able to try it out, then if everyone came back saying it was terrible... least we tried. It could work great for all we know.
+1 from me, love the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser17088

Look, i don't mean to be rude, but surely, if this Idea improves the game, and attracts more people, then it could be implemented? By saying it won't be because it takes too much coding, then why the heck did they make a game? The Devs are Professionals, surely a huge amount of coding shouldn't stop them making a Brilliant improvement to the game?

It would be Money well spent imo. And prehaps this New Island System and map layout could work better? And attract more people, which is what Innogames wants right?

The should change it if it works better - I wouldn't have a problem if They ran a tester world, where say Mods and experienced players were able to try it out, then if everyone came back saying it was terrible... least we tried. It could work great for all we know.
+1 from me, love the idea.

Improvement for who? what is the difference between this and the current islands? You are asking for a huge change for no real improvement to game play

DeletedUser5

Improvement for who? what is the difference between this and the current islands? You are asking for a huge change for no real improvement to game play

Allow me to fix that for you...

"You are asking for a huge change for no real improvement to game play

DeletedUser

@Tury18, instead of asking a question that has been answered then read through the entire thread and then ask if you are genuinly interested ask any questions you may have.

As for the idea I like it however as has been said it won't give such a big improvement to the game and would make it a different game entirely so I doubt it will happen.

-Durm.

DeletedUser

I don't like the idea. Simply because it would change the whole way the game is played. We play by an ocean now with naval units. If you went to a map like that you'd pretty much just use land units. It would then turn out to be like evony. Grepolis is fine just the way it is for the most part ! :)

DeletedUser12512

i don't mind this idea at all, in fact FOTNS is out to lunch when he suggests it wouldnt improve gameplay, as there would be a mulititude more strategies in place if it were implemented, however. if innogames were to start along this path, and make these changes, why wouldn't i just go play rome: total war? the people interaction? hah

-- so what? do we have a shortage of islands now?

-- i imagine thats why we have new premium features that they want us to pay for, if all the changes were cheap, i wouldn't be too happy about them telling us their plan to charge for the ability to make great changes in the game

-- yes, the addition of a second color beside blue to represent land...i shutter at the graphical implications of making a change like that...since their last graphical overhaul from 1.26 to 2.0 was sooooo needed to improve gameplay... <can you feel the sarcasm yet?>

4)lots of coding
-- yes, that's true, we might as well ask them to do their job...how obnoxious of us

-- this, is about when you should be virtually bitchslapping yourself over and over, as that statement is completely ludicrous given the amount of changes they have made already that did not improve gameplay --seriously your going to say something like that after they just came out with a new premium feature and had to code for recruitment reduction because of it..?

Usually I think you do a half decent job of outlining why an idea won't work, or shouldn't, but come on, it's comments like these that are the reason people sometimes think mods are just 'dev barf' when you start spewing nonsense like this and calling them 'reason'.

DeletedUser15946

Then ask devs what they say, if they agree, put it on vote. This idea changes a lot, and we will judge if we like it, or not. You just say is it possible to make.

DeletedUser809

I have to agree that including inland cities would be such a big change that it would essentially be a new version of the game. There are other issues besides how other cities would be conquered.

What about travel times? if geography physically limits travel times from any one place on the map to any other then I would imagine this would involve an enormous amount of coding to allow the server to make the appropriate calculations based on moving around extended coastlines, over mountains, forests etc. And how do players determine the difference between their travel times and someone else's? The game would need a much more complicated calculator added so people could plug in two sets of coords and find out how long it takes to travel between them.

You could break up the coastline into "states" which would be the equivalent of islands, keep the same distance calculation that exists currently, and have the same number of farming villages per "state" as there are for islands. You would also have to require that conquest from one state to another be done via the sea using the existing system. This would allow for the aesthetic of having a historically semi-accurate map without requiring such a massive overhaul to the game.

To the OP. As always I respect people who make the effort to put together detailed proposals but one consideration you have to have is how broad your idea is and try to pare it down to something that is realistic and workable. As it stands what you're asking for is simply too complicated. It would be interesting but it's really asking too much for a simple browser based game with very limited resources.

DeletedUser

I Love this idea, it makes you think more instead of just throwing random troops, but will you be able to choose which part of the island you are on also how will you conquer cities if you cant use a colony ship on land? Overall, this is a great idea and if 3.0 is any where near i suggest they use this idea

DeletedUser4860

i like the idea, as long as all the worlds don't have it

DeletedUser

1) The grepolis players are the grepolis customers if a reason for not accepting ideas is "too much codding" then I think inno doesn't deserve the money we give to them. We are giving them money and everyone knows that The customer is always right.

2) This game really needs a little change and it will be good to see some worlds with this added. If you don't like it simply don't play that worlds.

3) Mountains= half the units speed, forests=3/4 unit speed,normal land= normal speed,plane lands=1.5 unit speed. This can be calculated by the route of the army ( The army starts passing through a mountain directly half speed, when it passes the mountain the speed gets back, When it starts passing a forest directly 3/4 speed etc...)

DeletedUser

I like it! This gets my vote if it reaches polling.
You should not vote for this in the poll if you want it cause it's the other way around in here (you vote for the idea you don't like). Grepolis is 1 of a kind and this is one of the reasons!

DeletedUser

You should not vote for this in the poll if you want it cause it's the other way around in here (you vote for the idea you don't like). Grepolis is 1 of a kind and this is one of the reasons!

Oh yeah! I completely forgot! This one definitely doesn't get my vote! :D

DeletedUser

I know this is an old thread, but its not closed off, so I'll give my comments.

I agree with what the mods have said, I dont believe that from a software engineering perspective that this could be done without a GIGANTIC change to the game that would mean Grepolis 3.0 with users having to pay say 10x what they currently do for gold.

However, I do think there is a comprimise here. Currently there is two types of islands, being "island" (7 x 3) and "tiny island" (3x3) with island having 20 cities & 8 farms, whereas tiny island having 10 cities and no farms. I would recommend a third type of island being "continent". Each ocean would have four continents in that ocean. Each continent would be (eg) 20x10. Each continent would have 60 sea-cities, 21 land-cities and 24 farms in three provences (ie: 20 sea, 7 land & 8 farms per provence).

Each provence would be bordered off by mountains, so that each land city can only be attacked by the 20 sea & 7 land in their provence. Each city can only access the 8 farms in their provence. Building a wonder should only be allowed on a continent (no islands or tiny islands) and only with all 21 land-cities being under the control of the alliance.