World map

DeletedUser

It's interesting to see how alliance groupings follow the ocean boundaries. It shows how most people just follow the leader.

I don't know how the data is available for processing, but one simple change would be to exclude all cities below a set size (say 1,000pts) from all consideration.

If it's possible to collate cities island-by-island I would suggest that only an alliance holding >50% (or some other arbitrary figure) of the city points on the island is denoted as controlling it - otherwise it is flagged as 'no overall control'. No system will ever satisfy everyone but I think it would be better to flag an island as grey if there is no clear majority on it for one alliance.

Good work anyway - thanks.

DeletedUser

@Antiochus

Thanks for your comment. I think your right in many respects, for a start i agree that there is no way to satisfy everyone.

I have been thinking a lot about how to change the algorithm for assigning colours to islands, but you did add some elements I did not think about. If i merge those ideas with mine I come to the following algorithm:

1) Check each island. If an island has a member of the top 12 allies present then remember the island. This gets rid of the islands where top 12 alliance members have no cities.

2) check each island in memory again. calculate the total points of all cities, not counting the cities lower than 1000 points. This makes total city count=100% per island.

3) Calculate the sum of all cities > 1000 for each alliance present on the island.

4) Calculate the relative presence per alliance based on city points expressed in % of total city count.

5) Assign the colour of the island to the alliance that has a presence of 50% or higher.

In addition it would be feasible to calculate some sort of a "world domination factor" based on the presence on islands.

So what you think of this?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I think you are about as close to giving an acurate picture of the world as is possible with what we have to work with. I'd love to see what this looked like when put into practice Xan. Nice work.

DeletedUser

One additional note that belongs here:

I did some runs and I found that city size is not a major factor. In world gamma the top 12 alliances own 4846 cities. Of these 6 are <1000 points, and 113 are <5000 points.

My conclusion is that top 12 alliances don't own small cities, so taking small cities into account does not make a lot of a difference on the map.

DeletedUser

nice algorithm if i was not busy with university work and other stuff i would ask the question... what language you want it in lol

DeletedUser

are you still posting the maps here or is it now in the programming section?

DeletedUser

Xarandir's profile says that he hasn't been on in a couple of weeks. Here's an updated map, however. I cut it down to 640x640. Are the rules different for images in spoiler tags?
delta20101220640.png
Here's the full res one:
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1841/delta201012201000.png
Just for the record, all I did was download his program and run it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Looks like the huns still control the majority of the core :)
As for O54, I am unsure of the diplomatic relation between the huns and Disciples. But it'd be nice to see who claims that section of the core in the end

DeletedUser

does this game work with external data and downloadable files? in that case i think it wouldn't hurt if i look into downloading these and making something with it :)

i have large experience with creating mapping tools like the one used here in another online game, and if it's not too hard i can prob do the same here. plus, it would be on an automatically updated site every day :)

technical detail: i use PHP :p

DeletedUser

Howdy guys! It's me again; I spent some time fooling around with the program today, so it should be a bit easier for me to mass produce 13 Top 12 maps.

Also, I'm glad to see some people taking this up, since it looks less and less likely that Xarandir is coming back. Milonius of Beta, sparkz104 of Epsilon, MetalCore of Zeta, GDi ReTrO of Eta, Uber Lord of Theta, and Hyrune of Kappa all deserve rep and thanks for taking the initiative and helping keep their respective world map threads alive.

The version of Xarandir's program that I'm using, which requires some willingness to troubleshoot and figure things out yourself, can be found here. You'll also need to download and install python and pygame, Xarandir's instructions for which can be found here. This one is good for people who want to mess around with the program, and who already know python, or are at least familiar with programming syntax. For the rest, a compiled version can be found here. Just download 4.1 and run grepomaps.exe. If you are looking for smaller maps with more detail, www.grepolismaps.org is always awesome. I'll try to answer questions about either version if I can figure out the answer.

Regarding personal map requests, I may make them, if they are politely phrased, easy to comprehend exactly what you want, and come on a day when I have some time to kill. It can't hurt to ask.

Also, as I've been writing this post, I just discovered that these threads may all soon become obsolete.

Well, I guess that's all I have to say for now. I do believe I'll just copypaste this one into each world. Questions, comments, etc. can go below or on my profile, or in PM. If this works, you should be able to click the image to go to the bigger one.

DeletedUser

thank you for updating the map!
Appreciate that.

Hi dustfinger314 I don't know if you are still updating the maps? If not is there anyone ells who knows how to update the maps?

Because I really think this map needs to get updated since that alliance? "What do you called them"? Oh yes, I know Legend of Chaos, who is no longer around.... They were a great alliance that was run into the ground by Mr. NW, what a shame!

RIP. LOC​

DeletedUser

hey orion, there is an auto map section with the top15 players