World Wonders

DeletedUser

Ascension is the first WW builder.
They have level 10 for pyramid of giza in top north of the map O50. About 100hrs by transport boat from center of the world O55...lol

they will have Statue of zeus soon

lighthouse and colossus would follow as no competitors...

they have a boulevard to WW victory.

whats the story ?

Lugosi

Strategos
The Story: Everyone else sucks and only has themselves to blame for not preventing this :p its not over yet though. They maybe gasping for breath with all the spared resources etc. Message me ingame at mrurson if you wish to file a revolt against Ascension ;).

DeletedUser345

Unexpected turn of events when Ascension saw PoC reach level 9 they must have only sent resources to their pyramid...

DeletedUser

lol that should be interesting:p. The world wonders will prove who has the best economy, and at the moment AS appears to be leading.

DeletedUser12662

Unexpected? Maybe a little, but not in the manner your phrasing implies Achilles.

It's been obvious for a while that the best shot at stopping Ascension from running away from the pack in the wonders race, was for PoC to win the pyramid. And if it's obvious to me, observing second hand, it would be even more obvious to Asc and PoC. Diverting resources towards the pyramid at the expense of other wonders would be a logical and almost inevitable move, for both sides.

The unexpected bit is that PoC didn't win anyway. Their less than optimum effort implies one of two things.

1. PoC doesn't really mind if Asc wins. Dragon Heads are even more closely tied than those outside of them think, with Asc and Redneck de facto leaders of this group, even if not officially recognized as such.

2. PoC just made a mistake. Could be any number of things. Something might have distracted them from realizing the importance of the pyramid, or from realizing just how fast Asc was building. Someone might not have come through with the resources he was supposed to send. etc. Stuff happens.

PoC doesn't really have a history of making mistakes though, and you'd expect several deserters to precede the implementation of any policy that just lets another alliance "win" without a real contest. So that's what makes the outcome unexpected in my eyes.

DeletedUser345

Unexpected? Maybe a little, but not in the manner your phrasing implies Achilles.

It's been obvious for a while that the best shot at stopping Ascension from running away from the pack in the wonders race, was for PoC to win the pyramid. And if it's obvious to me, observing second hand, it would be even more obvious to Asc and PoC. Diverting resources towards the pyramid at the expense of other wonders would be a logical and almost inevitable move, for both sides.

The unexpected bit is that PoC didn't win anyway. Their less than optimum effort implies one of two things.

1. PoC doesn't really mind if Asc wins. Dragon Heads are even more closely tied than those outside of them think, with Asc and Redneck de facto leaders of this group, even if not officially recognized as such.

2. PoC just made a mistake. Could be any number of things. Something might have distracted them from realizing the importance of the pyramid, or from realizing just how fast Asc was building. Someone might not have come through with the resources he was supposed to send. etc. Stuff happens.

PoC doesn't really have a history of making mistakes though, and you'd expect several deserters to precede the implementation of any policy that just lets another alliance "win" without a real contest. So that's what makes the outcome unexpected in my eyes.

Can't say it was either option from my vantage point... PoC were putting effort into the Pyramids but it seems Ascension realized it could be lost and then put all their size into sending resources.

DeletedUser

Yes, it helps when you have around 3 times as many members to accelerate your world wonder, plus a player with over 2,000,000 points and 176 cities :p

DeletedUser

ROFL, I need to show Red this. :D

From what I heard, the difference was about 4 hours. So it was fairly close, and it could be from many reasons that you haven't even listed, for example, when the leaders started the construction, and most definitely what Achilles and BlackPaladin mentioned. I do recall several mass mails being sent regarding sending some stuff somewhere. *whistles innocently*

DeletedUser14909

Actually Z, you beat us by about 26hrs and unfortunately it was simply a numbers game.

Our tactics had worked well enough and got us a day's head start but given our relative disparity in size this obviously wasn't enough. It was the only one we were sending to and the upgrade process was started within a min or two of the last resources arriving. Admittedly we weren't helped by two of our larger players being in VM but all in all the gap was just not big enough and you had too many players that you could call on for resources and favor to speed it up.

DeletedUser

All in all, a very friendly race of "GAAAAHHHH THE LITTLE ONES ARE AHEAD! MORE STEAM MORE STEAAAAAAAMMM!!"

DeletedUser

Actually Z, you beat us by about 26hrs and unfortunately it was simply a numbers game.

Our tactics had worked well enough and got us a day's head start but given our relative disparity in size this obviously wasn't enough. It was the only one we were sending to and the upgrade process was started within a min or two of the last resources arriving. Admittedly we weren't helped by two of our larger players being in VM but all in all the gap was just not big enough and you had too many players that you could call on for resources and favor to speed it up.

Heh, I was told it was 4 hours, and to use favor to speed it up. I guess he must've been off, and everyone used favor heh.

And yes, it was indeed a numbers game. Most everyone from Ascension was sending resources and/or accelerating the construction. When that happens, few, if any, would be able to keep up without using all the resources at their disposal.

And Niv is right on the mark lol, although I don't think anyone thought "Little ones" :p

DeletedUser14909

Well now, has the race for the wonders got interesting after all?

DS have taken a city on Ascension's Lighthouse island, thereby blocking their easy fourth wonder. Can Ascension reclaim the city or has this opened the door for someone else to complete the Lighthouse and block their road to victory.

At present it looks like we could have an outsider taking a world wonder, with the self-proclaimed 'bunch of madmen', the Unified Crusaders, now having no current opposition in its construction.

DeletedUser13405

Don't forget your race with EH for the hanging gardens...that one may be pretty close. Looks like DS may get the Tomb. You also need to finish the Temple to ensure nobody else gets it. Could we end up stalemated?

DeletedUser14909

I hadn't and Ascension aren't out of that one yet either if they were to focus everything on it again.
Stalemate is what I've been hoping for and trying to achieve through PoC's approach to the wonders. That way for someone to win the world they're going to have to fight for it, not sim, which i think is how it should be.

DeletedUser345

Wonders are like gf's - easier to get, tougher to keep...

Hardly, if you stack 'em up and put your troops inside 'em then you'll be fine. ;) The annoying part is when one of your best mates steals one.

DeletedUser

Yeah i mean geez, getting three was so hard, oh wait but we have three.

We also have kitten piles.