Would You Play A Old School World Today?

DeletedUser41523

I've thought of a way that Inno could make a good amount of money. Marketing nostalgia tends to work, Runescape's Old School servers are arguably more popular than their main game simply for the nostalgia purposes. The Force Awakens was a massive success for pretty much casually reintroducing every character from the original trilogy. Hell even Fuller House is incredibly successful for essentially redoing its old episodes into a modern setting. Inno probably still has the ability to produce old school servers if it choose to do so. And I feel they would bring back a ton of players for the nostalgia purpose alone if they did that. Combine that with their emails to players who have gone inactive and an Ad campaign if it were ever successful and they could probably re-win MMO of the year.

What It Would Look Like
Speed: 2
Unit Speed: 1
Trade Speed: 1
Morale: Community Vote
Conquest System: Community Vote
Alliance Cap: Community Vote
Version: 1.26
Speed Up Method: Cut Times
Gold Trade: Off
Events: Off
Packages: Off
Where Inno Makes Money: Inno could stand to make a lot by keeping a world or two for old school. The reasoning being that it would bring back a flood of players to spend money. However there's probably a decent amount who would like to win or dominant current worlds also and are willing to keep playing those, after all Grepo's main servers like En still have no problem filling their worlds in a week.

There's always a lot of hype around old grepolis and how the old worlds were so much better. So here's my question to the community, would you play an old school server? Or do you think the newer versions are much more convenient despite their flaws?

A few notes about what old school/1.26 would entail for those who weren't there or forgot...

1) You would have the pre-2.0 farming villages. Meaning you start with 6 swordsmen and already able to farm all villages on your island. But you have to farm them manually with the swordsmen. Making the start up slower. You however do not need to invest resources or BP into your villages.

2) There is no link available. You couldn't drop entire alliances onto a couple islands back then.

3) World Wonders don't exist here. The game is simply about being part of or making a dominant alliance.

4) Things like Unit and Trade speeds that are listed were standard issue. If this were to ever happen we should go on the assumption that Inno would just use what was already there and not add on unless it became insanely popular.

5) There are no island quests or inventories.

6) There are no heroes.

7) There is no favor farming because the academy maxes at 30 along with any other original building levels.

8) There is no world cap. However this means dealing with the cons that come with that.

9) Possibility of not having app access. But if there was, not having an attack alarm. There wasn't one back then. But I can understand the appeal for app players.

There's probably a few details from the past that I've forgotten. But those would be the important differences.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser54421

I'd like this, but I think they should just outright make the first "old world" conquest, as there was no Revolt until Zeta. But that's just my opinion. As a concept I really like this Smilodon. Maybe another way they could make money is require an entry fee of having the player buy the 5$ gold pack (they'd still get the gold to use on the world)

DeletedUser41523

I wonder how many people would do a subscription to play old school. But still have to pay for advisors and cut times. I think the lack of Innos good updates like quests, heroes, links, etc would kill that though.

I'm all for conq. But I feel they'd probably make it votable for the first world.

Ranga1

Strategos
Bellrophon has most of these settings, pretty much old school grepo. Only problem is you start against guys with 500 cities already

DeletedUser54495

But Bellepheron doesn't have Version 1.26 and it still gets plagued with events

DeletedUser41523

But Bellepheron doesn't have Version 1.26 and it still gets plagued with events
Ideally an old school version would keep events out or make them minimally impactful like the early holiday events.. Since players would be playing for that feel of nostalgia. Again this is an added element of cash for Inno, but not the main source.

DeletedUser54495

Yeah. I still have a few contacts who might be interested in an old school.

To be honest I think Inno have given up on the future of the game and are squeezing the last of the money out... sad to think that.

DeletedUser41523

Yeah. I still have a few contacts who might be interested in an old school.

To be honest I think Inno have given up on the future of the game and are squeezing the last of the money out... sad to think that.

I think there's still some grepo to play. Like I've said previously, EN worlds fill nicely for a 2/1 morale world it took less than a week for rim oceans to open. If anything Grepo's problem is over extension of servers. Its like me with forum posts. They do a lot where a few will do.

DeletedUser54495

Same for me with the forum posts lol... made my forum account after lurking for a guest for ages, what, 3 days ago and already done 50 messages. Lots of pros get sick of slow speed worlds... Olous has pretty good settings

DeletedUser42565

Slow worlds make me want to
smiley_emoticons_sleep.gif

DeletedUser42565

Just to note I would maybe give the world a go but I do like the way the farming villages were (2.0 onwards) but I do not like having to spend my BP on villages 100 seems way too much, I always did think however on the villages, that those sods should be bringing there res to our cities, so instead of clicking on it every five mins or so, we would set up a timescale that the villagers would drop off there res, (options of every 2 or 4 hours with the four being most beneficial for example)

DeletedUser44167

Maybe just get of the farming villages altogether
After awhile its really a chore

DeletedUser42565

Maybe just get of the farming villages altogether
After awhile its really a chore

I guess if folks hate the villages they should not use them as you don't have to it's just beneficial to.

I don't hate them I like the villages (they do make sense) and it's only later on when it's a chore but by then I only use the villages for a boost if I need to re-build a nuke or two kinda thing.

overall I would be tempted with an older than 2.0 system as I never played any (it's different so why not), but I suspect I might not enjoy it as much as I do like the addition of heroes and the such, but inno ne-andering to the over heavy gold user's is making the game harder to outright enjoy.

DeletedUser16512

i would love a old school grepo for sure if it happens revolt speed 2 or 3 would be great

DeletedUser35069

Probably wouldn't want to go quite this far back. There have been some decent changes since then to grepo. Not many but some, If you went this far back we wouldn't have reservations.

Anybody remember the fun/screaming/flouncing when blowing up blue sieges because someone hadn't updated the reservation list on the forum or checked it or the alliance didn't even have one. I really wouldn't like to see that again!

DeletedUser30636

I think I would like this, I never played back this far, I started as soon as 2.0 came out. But this does sound fun. Who knows, if it was actually successful, it could be the thing that revitalizes Grepo as a whole. Maybe they'll realize that if they start pandering to the people that loved this game instead of their wallets, they can make the same amount of money while releasing a quality project that people aren't constantly complaining about. I would love to see these forums fill back up along with worlds. Its almost sad with how dead things are.

DeletedUser54495

I think I would like this, I never played back this far, I started as soon as 2.0 came out. But this does sound fun. Who knows, if it was actually successful, it could be the thing that revitalizes Grepo as a whole. Maybe they'll realize that if they start pandering to the people that loved this game instead of their wallets, they can make the same amount of money while releasing a quality project that people aren't constantly complaining about. I would love to see these forums fill back up along with worlds. Its almost sad with how dead things are.

Agreed x100

DeletedUser

Do not waste your time.
It will not be opened.
Zeta settings were ideal (2/2,no morale,gold cuts just for walls).
But forget it.

DeletedUser41523

I never said it would be opened. I asked would you play one? And gave my rationale behind Inno might consider one.