Would You Play A Old School World Today?

DeletedUser54495

I just don't know if inno would find it profitable. And honestly I would get cleaned by all the real pros

DeletedUser54451

I like this idea. Back then people actually fought. There were so many alliances and war and the game was fun. Now you have pre-mades. Basically what happens is you get a bunch of experiences players and none of them want to fight each other. Then they turn on the newer rim players...

The events are absolutely disgusting. Sure you can get tons of bp off people who are willing to spam manties at a city full of archers and it becomes a pay to take a city game... but there's a huge pay to win mentality and I think everyone knows who's got the bigger wallets generally have a huge advantage. Gold should be used for administrators and cut times.

Unfortunately I think Grepo needs a huge overhaul. How will it differentiate itself from competitors and other companies? You'll have other mobile games like clash of clans. Why would people choose Grepo over games like that?

We need a mix of new and old. I think the main problem with Grepo is it's huge time investment. Maybe we need a speed world. Worlds that last a month but are pacted with fun and fights. I don't know... but it's been a while since Grepo has taken the title of top mmo and the longer that;s the case the more bleak the future.

DeletedUser46395

Would I play with those settings? No. I don't like conquest much, and I hated the early farming system if I'm honest. Lapithos had the best mix of features and settings for me, pre-heroes, pre-hero world features, and so on. No silly packages, and minimal (or zero) events and I would be very happy.

DeletedUser10962

I've thought of a way that Inno could make a good amount of money. Marketing nostalgia tends to work, Runescape's Old School servers are arguably more popular than their main game simply for the nostalgia purposes. The Force Awakens was a massive success for pretty much casually reintroducing every character from the original trilogy. Hell even Fuller House is incredibly successful for essentially redoing its old episodes into a modern setting. Inno probably still has the ability to produce old school servers if it choose to do so. And I feel they would bring back a ton of players for the nostalgia purpose alone if they did that. Combine that with their emails to players who have gone inactive and an Ad campaign if it were ever successful and they could probably re-win MMO of the year.

What It Would Look Like
Speed: 2
Unit Speed: 1
Trade Speed: 1
Morale: Community Vote
Conquest System: Community Vote
Alliance Cap: Community Vote
Version: 1.26
Speed Up Method: Cut Times
Gold Trade: Off
Events: Off
Packages: Off
Where Inno Makes Money: Inno could stand to make a lot by keeping a world or two for old school. The reasoning being that it would bring back a flood of players to spend money. However there's probably a decent amount who would like to win or dominant current worlds also and are willing to keep playing those, after all Grepo's main servers like En still have no problem filling their worlds in a week.

There's always a lot of hype around old grepolis and how the old worlds were so much better. So here's my question to the community, would you play an old school server? Or do you think the newer versions are much more convenient despite their flaws?

A few notes about what old school/1.26 would entail for those who weren't there or forgot...

1) You would have the pre-2.0 farming villages. Meaning you start with 6 swordsmen and already able to farm all villages on your island. But you have to farm them manually with the swordsmen. Making the start up slower. You however do not need to invest resources or BP into your villages.

2) There is no link available. You couldn't drop entire alliances onto a couple islands back then.

3) World Wonders don't exist here. The game is simply about being part of or making a dominant alliance.

4) Things like Unit and Trade speeds that are listed were standard issue. If this were to ever happen we should go on the assumption that Inno would just use what was already there and not add on unless it became insanely popular.

5) There are no island quests or inventories.

6) There are no heroes.

7) There is no favor farming because the academy maxes at 30 along with any other original building levels.

8) There is no world cap. However this means dealing with the cons that come with that.

9) Possibility of not having app access. But if there was, not having an attack alarm. There wasn't one back then. But I can understand the appeal for app players.

There's probably a few details from the past that I've forgotten. But those would be the important differences.

Personally I'd like it, we'd see a complete rebalance of the game it would completely screw over everyone who's been playing for the last 3 years in a big way as they way to start out would be completely different. Would you revert to original unit stats? Mantis used to be 405 favor to build? I think the attack alarm is here to stay it's way to easy to code something that does it although I wish we didn't the lack of an app notification would probably improve everyones health not checking the game 24/7 and also would lead to far more front line city exchanges making the game far more exciting.

DeletedUser48423

I would actually make a return and play a server if they created it like they use to and not make it about who has the bigger wallet. That's why I left got tired of people going money crazy and making the game not fun I liked the old concept of Grepo more than I like this new version it just a takes the fun away from the concept of the game.

DeletedUser38277

I would definitely play an oldschool world, provided there's no attack alarm (or at least no app alarm) and no use of gold other than for advisors. More than anything else, the alarm function and the must of using gold to keep pace have ruined the fun.
Agree with jenny. Would definitely play too

DeletedUser

As an old school player... with old school values... and old school socks... I'd play in an Alpha II type world.

Original rules... original limitations... original sins.

As some of you old timers might remember, the Rooster's War Fleets sailed the oceans of World Alpha.

I was there at the beginning. My alliance, The Doves of War, dominated that whole archaic world.

Well, maybe not dominated... and maybe not the whole world.

But believe me... the lower portion of the south eastern corner of ocean 54 trembled with fear and mild confusion when they heard the soft calming COOooo of impending Dove Doom.

Those were the good old days when me and my brothers (Don Juan Spartacus and Achilles' Butt), along with our team mates... a ragtag band of slightly deranged Grepo-misfits my mom most likely paid to be my friends... first went to war.

We battled and lost... battled and won... battled and went to bed... right up to the last day when the doors shut and the oceans of Alpha went dark forever.

That was the second best game I ever played...

Second only to the legendary Atari Pitfall perfect game I played back in the cold dark days of the Winter of 1983.

Despite what the naysayers may tell you... It happened. Oh yes, It happened. 32 treasures. 114,000 points. 17 minutes and a few odd seconds of pure unadulterated Atari glory.

Perfect. It happened.

So yah... given the chance... I'd go to WAR "old school" again in Grepolis, screaming our alliance's old WAR CRY:

"BIRDS OF A FEATHER, KILL YOU TOGETHER!"

DeletedUser25249

A definite maybe for me, i hate the new flyers are everything game and watch 100k clu get munched
Bring bacl ol school grepo and the navy game

DeletedUser16429

As an old school player... with old school values... and old school socks... I'd play in an Alpha II type world.

Original rules... original limitations... original sins.

As some of you old timers might remember, the Rooster's War Fleets sailed the oceans of World Alpha.

I was there at the beginning. My alliance, The Doves of War, dominated that whole archaic world.

Well, maybe not dominated... and maybe not the whole world.

But believe me... the lower portion of the south eastern corner of ocean 54 trembled with fear and mild confusion when they heard the soft calming COOooo of impending Dove Doom.

Those were the good old days when me and my brothers (Don Juan Spartacus and Achilles' Butt), along with our team mates... a ragtag band of slightly deranged Grepo-misfits my mom most likely paid to be my friends... first went to war.

We battled and lost... battled and won... battled and went to bed... right up to the last day when the doors shut and the oceans of Alpha went dark forever.

That was the second best game I ever played...

Second only to the legendary Atari Pitfall perfect game I played back in the cold dark days of the Winter of 1983.

Despite what the naysayers may tell you... It happened. Oh yes, It happened. 32 treasures. 114,000 points. 17 minutes and a few odd seconds of pure unadulterated Atari glory.

Perfect. It happened.

So yah... given the chance... I'd go to WAR "old school" again in Grepolis, screaming our alliance's old WAR CRY:

"BIRDS OF A FEATHER, KILL YOU TOGETHER!"
Lol I was one of those paid friends
smiley_emoticons_eazy_cool01.gif

Miss ya man, they don't make Grepo players like they used to. You are one of a kind

dianices

Phrourach
I like this idea. Back then people actually fought. There were so many alliances and war and the game was fun. Now you have pre-mades. Basically what happens is you get a bunch of experiences players and none of them want to fight each other. Then they turn on the newer rim players...

The events are absolutely disgusting. Sure you can get tons of bp off people who are willing to spam manties at a city full of archers and it becomes a pay to take a city game... but there's a huge pay to win mentality and I think everyone knows who's got the bigger wallets generally have a huge advantage. Gold should be used for administrators and cut times.

Unfortunately I think Grepo needs a huge overhaul. How will it differentiate itself from competitors and other companies? You'll have other mobile games like clash of clans. Why would people choose Grepo over games like that?

We need a mix of new and old. I think the main problem with Grepo is it's huge time investment. Maybe we need a speed world. Worlds that last a month but are pacted with fun and fights. I don't know... but it's been a while since Grepo has taken the title of top mmo and the longer that;s the case the more bleak the future.

i miss the strategy, the actual mental effort that used to go into it. I'm not saying there's still not an element of that to the game, but starting out, grepo was more of a thinking gamers' arena. Not so much these days.

DeletedUser52109

From a business prospective I don't see this happening, as much as we would like to. When they open a new server, they think "we gotta make money" and it makes sense because there are expenses that occur when a new server opens;

eg.,
The maintenance that goes into servers and the game. Not to mention the salaries of the employees. Also, the cost of living and inflation with money has increased over the years, making everything literally more expensive.

I am sure they would like to revert to such servers but it would cause financial instability. We forget sometimes that this game was made for business purposes.

DeletedUser54537

From a business prospective I don't see this happening, as much as we would like to. When they open a new server, they think "we gotta make money" and it makes sense because there are expenses that occur when a new server opens;

eg.,
The maintenance that goes into servers and the game. Not to mention the salaries of the employees. Also, the cost of living and inflation with money has increased over the years, making everything literally more expensive.

I am sure they would like to revert to such servers but it would cause financial instability. We forget sometimes that this game was made for business purposes.

What they could do is an entrance fee.
Maybe 1k or 2k gold to enter world. It would still be popular, im sure of it

DeletedUser52109

Let me tell you something, McDonalds could afford to pay their employees a minimum wage of $15/hour here in North America. Hell they could even raise it to $60/hour and still make profit. But they will not.
I'm in my 3rd year financial accounting and if it's taught me anything about companies, is that it's all about maximizing the profit.

An example of Mcdonalds being able to afford a higher min wage; McDonalds employees in Denmark make at least $21/hour if you're 18+ and at least $15/hour if you're below 18 years old. And this is because the union made an agreement with McDonalds. This means that a teenager in Denmark makes more money than your average joe in a fast food restaurant. I read about this a few years ago, I don't know if it's still the same. But it's for sure higher than min wage here in NA.

I don't see why it would be any different here, they will always look to maximize profit. Why do you think they introduced the new farming system? Money.

That being said, Grepolis is a free to play game and does not require you to pay. But me personally, I enjoy the game and I don't mind supporting the game devs.

Last edited by a moderator: