you should be glad Grepolis is declining

Zarun-

Strategos
Basing this off Alexa site rankings, Grepolis site traffic has decreased significantly over the years.

It's better off because of it though! Why? Because it forces devs to do things like trying to fix the endgame (ww limits), trying to fix the farm system (eh, at least we got bandit camps), and so on.

They really do a lot of work over here to improve the game and add new things, and do listen to user feedback on a wide basis.

I've moved to another InnoGames game, Forge of Empires and it is the total opposite. They make a lot of money so the devs are inclined to listen to the players less and craft the game in the way they think it should be.

You'll say they do it here too but trust me it's not even close to the same. Anyway came here to say hi and I thought I'd let off one of my patented rants.

Hope all is well. I hear rumors we may get a 6/6 for EN100? That setting at a minimum + revolt is only way I will ever play another Grepo world again so maybe I'll see you guys there if we get lucky!

DeletedUser41523

There's a number of reasons why the game is declining. I'd say the biggest factors are that a person can only want to play this game all the way through so many times before finding another game and that people's lives change and they can't keep playing anymore on a high level or at all. Inno can only do so much to change the dynamic of the game without completely putting off the people who enjoy it as it is.

Its less likely that they're going to invest time, money, and labor into a declining venture. I think they'll make minor tweaks to speed up the pace of the game before slowing world production and updates until the game closes down. They might also make a few splashes with extreme settings or hardcore events to make money off the remaining players.

DeletedUser54784

@Zarun lets be honest bruh.. all innogames earn more money then grepolis.. its dying either way...

DeletedUser5061

I guess that's why they trying to turn this game more and more like FoE, I am having second thoughts about starting an alliance again.

DeletedUser54471

Right now I'm 17th - I might have to stop becurse of education and or work some day - tho I plan to play it when I become a pansionere (old man) xD

/DK

DeletedUser42857

There's a number of reasons why the game is declining. I'd say the biggest factors are that a person can only want to play this game all the way through so many times before finding another game and that people's lives change and they can't keep playing anymore on a high level or at all. Inno can only do so much to change the dynamic of the game without completely putting off the people who enjoy it as it is.

Theres that.

I put a lot of blame on the players. Crazy mass pacts like we saw in sinope, rampant botting with seemingly little consequence. those two things drove players away

but inno have contributed. Insta-build really didnt do them any favors, and having "new end game" on teh roadmap for pretty much five years without getting it past "thinking about it" stage hasnt helped either.

then again another game i play, the entire worldwide server is dominated by about 100 russians who each have anything up to 20 accounts.. although putin's determination to ban vpn's might help that a bit.. :D

DeletedUser17088

I'm gonna call it..

May have said this once or twice, the attack alarm killed the game

DeletedUser54892

IMO, the main problem with grepolis is that the game is designed for 10-year boys but played by much older, who soon find the game exceedingly boring. I don't think it makes sense to make drastic changes in the game now, it will only make the grepolis decline faster. Maybe grepolis team can design a new totally different game, where a player uses brain and need not be online 24/7?

DeletedUser41523

This game wasn't designed for ten year olds at all. It's appealed to three groups.

1) High school to college age players.

2) Unemployed/retired players

3) Players with a lot of job fexibility.

There's obviously outliers. But this would be the core group.

DeletedUser23222

Grepolis was a great game... once upon a time.
It always took too much time, but there were gamers willing to play through to the Crown.
Back then, the cost to play competitively was reasonable.

But things changed.

The winning solution (climax strategy) of large premade alliances was just too difficult to overcome. Who wants to waste a full year of real life to just get pounded in the end?

Players started ghosting too early. You just cannot build a winning team on casual players.
The players who stayed were meaner. More greivers and killers. Not much fun to play with those folks.

The company remonetized the game a few times. Now it was too expensive for most players to play competitively. It had become pay to win. A pod of skilled whales could really run the table. I know this first hand... we were had our own pod.

Then the cheating started. When the game was affordable for most, there was no incentive to cheat. But when it became expensive pay to win, cheating became an option for some and common place. Every F2P game has a core of talented hackers who remain one step ahead of the company. Seeing this happen was a huge disincentive to play honestly. Why buy the milk when others were milking the herd for free? My momma didn't raise no fool.

When we got our Crowns and hall of fame posting... it was time to quit.

The free-to-play model and corporate profit motive has ruined online gaming. NONE of my old gamer friends play any of these games now. Grepolis was a really great game. I still drop by every few months to check in. I don't have a time machine... so I doubt I will ever play again.

DeletedUser32254

Grepolis was a great game... once upon a time.
It always took too much time, but there were gamers willing to play through to the Crown.
Back then, the cost to play competitively was reasonable.

But things changed.

The winning solution (climax strategy) of large premade alliances was just too difficult to overcome. Who wants to waste a full year of real life to just get pounded in the end?

Players started ghosting too early. You just cannot build a winning team on casual players.
The players who stayed were meaner. More greivers and killers. Not much fun to play with those folks.

The company remonetized the game a few times. Now it was too expensive for most players to play competitively. It had become pay to win. A pod of skilled whales could really run the table. I know this first hand... we were had our own pod.

Then the cheating started. When the game was affordable for most, there was no incentive to cheat. But when it became expensive pay to win, cheating became an option for some and common place. Every F2P game has a core of talented hackers who remain one step ahead of the company. Seeing this happen was a huge disincentive to play honestly. Why buy the milk when others were milking the herd for free? My momma didn't raise no fool.

When we got our Crowns and hall of fame posting... it was time to quit.

The free-to-play model and corporate profit motive has ruined online gaming. NONE of my old gamer friends play any of these games now. Grepolis was a really great game. I still drop by every few months to check in. I don't have a time machine... so I doubt I will ever play again.

That is pretty much the size of it. I was able to play for years without any gold,, then for a while doing surveys and such to keep a couple admins running and maybe rebuild a wall in extremis.
Came back after an absence and bought and spent but it quickly became obvious that players had moved way, way, beyond what I was willing to spend for this entertainment. Spending that would make oldtimer gold ho's blush.
The old player customs, courtesy, and honor had died. Most old friends and frenemies had moved on. The idea of building a fighting alliance of loyal players dead. Mega pacts ruling tiny worlds, the outcome of a world all but decided in the first 2 or 3 months.

I could toss in a couple rants at inno's failures but it really comes down to the players. We make the game what we want it to be and apparently I am in the minority.

I have no idea how it could be fixed. World killing Mass ghosting at the first signs of a mega pact or crazy spending? Perhaps, if you could convince players not to be cannon fodder. I have tried that though and it is very difficult to get players to quit a world even when they know they have been mega pacted out of any chance.

A form of non mega pact, mega pact ala The Great Convention from the Dune books? Even more difficult to sell I suspect.