Vacation Mode - a discussion

DeletedUser

I would like this to be an interactive discussion about the merits of vacation mode, in its current implementation, as well as the drawbacks. If you disagree with someone, then make a logically structured argument; please do not resort to attempts to "shout down" one player whose ideas may not be popular.

I will start with the following question: "has anyone ever encountered a player who actually uses this for a planned vacation, and not just as a way to escape from a series of attacks, hoping that when said player comes back from vacation, his/her attackers will have forgotten about them"

I think the issue of 'vacation abuse' needs to be addressed; there should be some check that happens prior to a player being able to start the vacation 48hrs countdown to no attacks.

for instance, one simple solution is to not allow the 48hr vacation countdown to begin while the player has incoming attacks on them.

DeletedUser

Not allowing Vacation Mode to start with incoming you could just start faking someone daily so they can't go on vacation, even if it was real. I for one did you it for an actual vacation, and I'm sure many do. But many times it is hard to tell.

DeletedUser

The majority of people that use vacation mode do so because they have real life commitments. Using it to escape repercussions is rarely effective. 48 hours is more than enough time to clear a city and land a colony ship.

This is not a question and does not belong in the questions forum.

DeletedUser

I like vacation mode as it is: except i would like account sitting.

DeletedUser

I have not used vacation mode on Grepolis, the last time I had reason to was on Delta but it was very early in the game and I would have been too far behind when I came back to make it viable so I quit. But I have used it on other games where I had multiple cities and did not want to start again

DeletedUser1359

i need more vacation time. I work away, often for weeks at a time. I find 40 days is no where near enough.

It would be fine if I could give it to a friend to look after for a short while. Bring in account sitting

DeletedUser

It has already been expressed many times that account sitting will NOT be introduced on Grepolis. However awesome it would be.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I would like this to be an interactive discussion about the merits of vacation mode, in its current implementation, as well as the drawbacks. If you disagree with someone, then make a logically structured argument; please do not resort to attempts to "shout down" one player whose ideas may not be popular.

I will start with the following question: "has anyone ever encountered a player who actually uses this for a planned vacation, and not just as a way to escape from a series of attacks, hoping that when said player comes back from vacation, his/her attackers will have forgotten about them"

I think the issue of 'vacation abuse' needs to be addressed; there should be some check that happens prior to a player being able to start the vacation 48hrs countdown to no attacks.

for instance, one simple solution is to not allow the 48hr vacation countdown to begin while the player has incoming attacks on them.

i found this funny for alot of reasons that i wont go in to so, on topic

as priscilla stated, 48 hours is long enough to do whatever is necessary, if the target is such a threat that you need to take all their villages and you think they use it as "just as a way to escape from a series of attacks" you will remember to keep checking for when they are back.

if however it is some sort of personal vendetta against a player, then perhaps it is good for all concerned to take a step back from it and move on, their alliance will have other targets you can go for and maybe should. they cant be a threat to you whilst they are away so their alliance is weaker.

i know of no decent alliance who would condone going into vacation mode to escape an attack. sometimes people just have a vacation, i dont think you should slow down your play leading up to a vacation, you are already losing 1-4 weeks of game play before you go on vacation so why would you not attack all you could and try and take a city or 2 before you go on vacation.

this may come accross as hit and run, but it is a sensible tactic to use when you have a holiday planned, as i said, you would be aware that there would be reprecussions when you get back, but this is a war game, and whilst war is important so is the game part where it is only a game and not real life, people have to be able to have breaks, so if there is no account sitting mode then there has to be a vacation mode, and in the format it is currently implemented

DeletedUser

Hmmmm I have to agree with the points chezzy has made here- I also would like to say that I use it for its intended purpose ie when I am on holiday and I have tried the hit and run tactic, sometimes successful sometimes not.

that being said however I believe that maybe a diplomacy mode along the lines of that in starfleet commander may make a nice stop gap for those who maybe are away at short notice and don't want everything lost when they get back. this is how it works in the starfleet game:

In Diplomacy Mode, you cannot attack, launch interplanetary ballistic missiles at, or espionage other players and other players cannot attack, launch interplanetary ballistic missiles at, or espionage you because everyone is "Neutral" (See "Galaxy Screen" info on the Activity page of this wiki). You may also not engage in group defend operations. You may transport/trade resources to or receive resources from other players and deploy/transport between your own planets, as well as create new Colonies. You may also harvest Debris Fields.
Now, in return for the protection, you are taxed a percentage of all earnings (from mines, missions, etc.) while in Diplomacy Mode. The percentage is based on your Resources Spent (Building) Points (which are found by viewing the leader board
with a few alterations this could become an additional feature for such people who are away for the day from dawn till dusk et cetra.

DeletedUser

ahh the but abuse would be at their own cost as of course they would be "noticeably taxed" however- I still see that there could be some form of abuse hence why I said with a little moderation, the trouble would be how to modify it. maybe if you have incoming attacks at you when you go into diplomacy mode they will still hit you?

DeletedUser

The majority of people that use vacation mode do so because they have real life commitments. Using it to escape repercussions is rarely effective. 48 hours is more than enough time to clear a city and land a colony ship.

This is not a question and does not belong in the questions forum.

I posted this up in world alpha forums, with the intention of having a discussion about this, not necessarily changing anything. someone moved my thread to the "questions forum". so please take it up with whatever Mod moved my thread, as I did not initially post it here

i found this funny for alot of reasons that i wont go in to so, on topic

I can't think of any reasons you would find anything funny about my questions. its a valid legitimate question to ask, considering the only times I've ever seen anyone use vacation mode is to escape attacks

as priscilla stated, 48 hours is long enough to do whatever is necessary, if the target is such a threat that you need to take all their villages and you think they use it as "just as a way to escape from a series of attacks" you will remember to keep checking for when they are back.

48hrs during which they can still login, direct their defenses, and do everything they normally can do except for launch attacks. then once the 48hrs hits, all attacks cease. considering this, I would argue that no, 48hrs is not enough time, especially if the player running off to vacation has many cities.

the second point is true; but I grow tired of maintaining the list of people who have ran off to vacation, and that we must check up on every day to see if they have returned. why not fix the feature so it works as it should, and cannot be abused?

if however it is some sort of personal vendetta against a player, then perhaps it is good for all concerned to take a step back from it and move on, their alliance will have other targets you can go for and maybe should. they cant be a threat to you whilst they are away so their alliance is weaker.

who is speaking of personal vendettas? why are you trying to bring up our past arguments, and the issue between myself and Cocotte? that is over. so please refrain from trying to sidetrack this discussion into something that has already been resolved. this has NOTHING TO DO with any specific single player.

i know of no decent alliance who would condone going into vacation mode to escape an attack. sometimes people just have a vacation, i dont think you should slow down your play leading up to a vacation, you are already losing 1-4 weeks of game play before you go on vacation so why would you not attack all you could and try and take a city or 2 before you go on vacation.

that's funny, because I can name at least 5 players from your alliance (or is it former alliance) that have ran off to vacation mode to escape us. are you saying MibsNoobs weren't a decent alliance!? I'm shocked.

this may come accross as hit and run, but it is a sensible tactic to use when you have a holiday planned, as i said, you would be aware that there would be reprecussions when you get back, but this is a war game, and whilst war is important so is the game part where it is only a game and not real life, people have to be able to have breaks, so if there is no account sitting mode then there has to be a vacation mode, and in the format it is currently implemented

once again, nowhere in my original post did I say that vacation mode should be abolished. please do not try to rephrase this into some different argument.

the very specific point I made was that, in its current incarnation, vacation mode is easily abused and it seems like the only times I ever run into a player on vacation mode is when we are attacking them, and they run off to escape being conquered. when a player returns from vacation mode, there is no 48hr period they have to wait to launch attacks; they can immediately blindside all those who were hammering on them prior to their retreat. the system is flawed, and there should be some way to disallow people to abuse it the way I (and others) have seen it being abused.

DeletedUser

It is possible for someone to launch full attacks, activate vacation mode and spend the next 48 hours defending against the repercussions. In doing so, both sides will have depleted troop numbers. Whilst in Vacation Mode, everything stops. There are no new resources, no new troops and no rebuilding of walls. The person that is still playing is doing all these things. This leads to the person using voluntary exile being at a distinct disadvantage when they return. It's not just putting off the inevitable, it's more like turning the first few sods for your own grave.

As an ingame moderator, i have seen both sides of the argument. Those who complain that they can't send a colony ship because the target has gone into vacation mode, along with those who sustained heavy casualties during the 48 hours before vacation mode kicked in (called away at short notice). So the wait period is too short and too long. That sounds like it might be the best possible compromise.

DeletedUser

I personally feel vacation mode is fine the way it is. I use it when legitimately leaving to go out of town, and I've not come across anyone who has used it otherwise yet. I'm not saying these people don't exist. I just don't happen to believe it is as prevalent as you think.

DeletedUser

I agree with the majority on this. Vacation Mode, as it is, is fine and no one is stupid enough to use it as means of escaping attacks due to the 48hr attack window.
More than that, if they do try and use it for, say a week, they will probably forget about this game or simply lose interest as they have become less involved. So they'll be free cities in a little while longer.

I know people who have used it when they are not going on holiday, not for such an absurd reason as to avoid attacks but because of real life issues and a lack of spare time. People do need to leave a game for personal reasons. If they don't then they have a problem. Addiction is a serious condition, so I am more concerned about those who play constantly, rather than those who take short breaks.

So if you were to head off with the kids to Disney Land for the week, you tried to activate vacation mode, but someone has an incoming attack on your city in 80hrs, what are you to do?
Even if that countdown started after the attack that still leaves a large frame of time were using the setting was pointless.
The abuse that modification would get would be endless. If a spy gets a hold of the news you're going on holiday, that's it. An enemy alliance can send a single attack from the other side of the world to keep that protection from coming into affect.

there is no 48hr period they have to wait to launch attacks; they can immediately blindside all those who were hammering on them prior to their retreat. the system is flawed, and there should be some way to disallow people to abuse it the way I (and others) have seen it being abused.
Baffling.
You're back from Disney, you want to pick up where you left off. War has broken out in your ocean but you can't do anything aggressive for 2 days?
Your neighbours have a running conquest in their city, everyone is depleted, your grey flagged cities are brimming with resources, your spies show a naval nuke city inside your reach when you know that target is offline.
None of which can be interacted with. You just killed off most of the game.
This is not a city building game, it's a war game. I would hate to log back in to find out that I can do nothing more than build and support, the two most boring aspects of the game.

Keep it the way it is. It may not be perfect but it's least flawed of our options.

DeletedUser

Vacation mode is good, but I think we need to also have a Denied-Bail Mode.

Not for me personally, of course.... but for other players who may find themselves in an awkward situation.

oops... my five minutes are up... gotta go.

DeletedUser

sorry if that is how you feel anarqy, i feel i am my own person and nobodies lapdog and as i stated i am very happy with the vacation mode set up, but i appreciate your opinion on the matter. if you were to get enough people to support your view and come up with a feasible alternative you may get it changed.good luck.

DeletedUser

I agree with the majority on this. Vacation Mode, as it is, is fine and no one is stupid enough to use it as means of escaping attacks due to the 48hr attack window.
More than that, if they do try and use it for, say a week, they will probably forget about this game or simply lose interest as they have become less involved. So they'll be free cities in a little while longer.

I disagree completely, and have about 10 examples of players using it purely to avoid attacks. a few days after they initiate the vacation, they return to play; we notice they return, initiate attacks, and 48hrs later, they are on vacation again. I don't care what you say and if you haven't been privy to it; it IS being abused

I know people who have used it when they are not going on holiday, not for such an absurd reason as to avoid attacks but because of real life issues and a lack of spare time. People do need to leave a game for personal reasons. If they don't then they have a problem. Addiction is a serious condition, so I am more concerned about those who play constantly, rather than those who take short breaks.

once again, never have I said that there shouldn't be a vacation mode. but w/ all of the data Inno have available about players, login times, when attacks are launched, when incoming attacks were launched, there should be SOME algorithm that can, on average, detect people who are just using vacation mode to avoid large coordinated attacks that they wouldn't be able to defend against otherwise

So if you were to head off with the kids to Disney Land for the week, you tried to activate vacation mode, but someone has an incoming attack on your city in 80hrs, what are you to do?
Even if that countdown started after the attack that still leaves a large frame of time were using the setting was pointless.
The abuse that modification would get would be endless. If a spy gets a hold of the news you're going on holiday, that's it. An enemy alliance can send a single attack from the other side of the world to keep that protection from coming into affect.

perhaps people shouldn't be allowed to initiate vacation mode so quickly. perhaps there should be a longer "ramp up" time before it takes place. perhaps that player should have gone on vacation a week earlier, instead of trying to go on vacation after an incoming attack has been declared on him. perhaps the restriction on initiating vacation mode is only considered for incoming attacks <20hrs away; I don't know. I didn't make the game. but you speak of abuse by a spy finding out and keeping someone from going to vacation, what about the converse of that? a spy finds out that an alliance is planning a large coordinated attack on a member; some of the travel times for some of the CSHIP attacks are approaching 48hrs; however, the player knows about it ahead of time, and immediately runs to vacation mode. when the alliance launches the attacks, they have to wait on a 48HR ROUND TRIP for their clearing troops and ships to return (since they were launched early), but when the alliance tries to launch the longer slower CSHIPS, since the vacation has been initiated and the 48hrs countdown will expire BEFORE the CSHIPS are able to hit their targets, the game WILL NOT EVEN LET THE ALLIANCE LAUNCH THEIR CSHIP ATTACKS. so now all of those other clearing waves are wasted on a long round trip; and the player escapes certain loss of multiple cities.

there is no 48hr period they have to wait to launch attacks; they can immediately blindside all those who were hammering on them prior to their retreat. the system is flawed, and there should be some way to disallow people to abuse it the way I (and others) have seen it being abused.
Baffling.
You're back from Disney, you want to pick up where you left off. War has broken out in your ocean but you can't do anything aggressive for 2 days?
Your neighbours have a running conquest in their city, everyone is depleted, your grey flagged cities are brimming with resources, your spies show a naval nuke city inside your reach when you know that target is offline.
None of which can be interacted with. You just killed off most of the game.
This is not a city building game, it's a war game. I would hate to log back in to find out that I can do nothing more than build and support, the two most boring aspects of the game.

right, war has broken out in your ocean WHILE YOU WERE AWAY, PROTECTED BY VACATION MODE
so why should you be able to, in an INSTANT, w/o any countdown period, immediately remove the protection and start launching attacks and utilizing resources?
I don't see any reason why a person coming out of vacation mode should be allowed immediate full access to their account at all. the only fair way would be to require a 48hr period after the vacation is ended where the player has no control over their account in any way. if you can't handle a two day refresh period after the vacation ended, then DONT GO ON VACATION IN THE FIRST PLACE. the only people who will be unhappy with a rule like this are the very people who use vacation to avoid attacks, and then strike out when their enemies are unprepared because they think the player is still on vacation.

Keep it the way it is. It may not be perfect but it's least flawed of our options.

the "least worst" argument is about one of the most pointless arguments i have ever heard, because the designation of a "least worst" option is purely subjective, and governed by the opinion of the person making the claim

the system is flawed in many ways, but not much work would need to be done to eliminate the ability of a high percentage of abusers to abuse it easily

DeletedUser

You're not helping the situation! Try posting a good alternative to vacation mode instead of using masses of text walls to pick holes in other people's arguements and increasing your post count.

I say that the best solution is scrap the vacation mode and replace it with the account sitting mode. There, problem solved, nice and neat, file closed.

DeletedUser

I would much rather have vacation mode than account sitting. One of the things that kept from playing Tribal Wars is the fact that so many of the accounts run 24/7 because they are being sat all the time. That means that you are really only playing your account 3 maybe 4 hours, so is it really your account? Another problem with account sitting is that when I was contemplating TW is that many alliances had a requirement that they be allowed to sit your account for x number of days. In either case can you really say that you are playing the game or are are your friends playing for you. Are you really running your account and is it being ran the way you want it to, or is now part of a collective where you really don't have control over your own cities/armies? After all if I join a game I want to play the game not have everybody else play it for me. Where is the fun in that?