Death Penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Is it a viable punishment to crimes? Should it exist in some capacity or should it never be considered?

Does it exist in your country / state and what do you think about its implementation or lack thereof?

DeletedUser

I think it would only be a viable punishment if the murderer had absolutely no reason to kill someone and he killed multiple people with undisputed evidence.

I think it should exist, but it should only be for cases like the one I mentioned.

It does exist in my country, but i think it is used a bit too much because there is a huge line waiting on Death Row and some people have to live with the fact that they are going to die for 50 years. I think that that and life in prison would be enough punishment unless they laughed and said they had fun killing the person. But then of course, people would probably put them in an asylum.

DeletedUser

Disagree. My argument is not a conscientious one, nor an issue of squeamishness, but of an understanding of law and the inherent fallibility of such. In virtually every instance of a guilty, or not guilty, there is a measure of doubt. Indeed, case after case is reversed on appeal, due to faulty data, retractions, even deliberate malfeasance.

With the knowledge that you may condemn even one innocent person to death (and yes, it has happened many times already), can you honestly condone the practice?

And then we travel the distance, to China's borders, where the death penalty is doled out for profit, a tour bus of dissection romping from one detention facility to the next, injecting prisoners and then promptly removing their organs, a government that confesses to their profit agenda, their black market organ sales having since been outed by investigative journalists.

At what point is the death penalty acceptable? Is it at the point you don't know, or at the point you don't care?

Aicy

Strategos
There are seven aims of punishment; deterrence, protection, reform, retribution, reparation and vindication.

The death penalty only achieves three of these. Life imprisonment achieves all of them better with the exception of arguably retribution.

DeletedUser12324

Death is fine as punishment but there must be 100% proof or it shouldn't be done. The crimes that deserve this sentence should be murder and rape.

I wish England had stricter punishments i think crime would go drastically down.

DeletedUser

"Srsly guys look at the facts. Capital punishment is the best idear ever. Even though it costs more money to execute someone than imprison them for life in the US, after we cut healthcare we'll have tons of moneys to spend. I mean, just look at the most civilized countries in the world and see what they do. Did you know that such fantastic governments as China, Iran and North Korea allow capital punishment? And killing people is totally moral, so u still get into heaven. It even says so in Leviticus!"

Death is fine as punishment but there must be 100% proof or it shouldn't be done. The crimes that deserve this sentence should be murder and rape.

I wish England had stricter punishments i think crime would go drastically down.

100% proof doesn't exist.

I think it would only be a viable punishment if the murderer had absolutely no reason to kill someone and he killed multiple people with undisputed evidence.

I think it should exist, but it should only be for cases like the one I mentioned.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

It does exist in my country, but i think it is used a bit too much because there is a huge line waiting on Death Row and some people have to live with the fact that they are going to die for 50 years. I think that that and life in prison would be enough punishment unless they laughed and said they had fun killing the person. But then of course, people would probably put them in an asylum.
There is no "line" for Death Row. If we had 3 people sentenced to death, we could get rid of them all within a day. It's the fact that legal battles take so long that is the issue. This is also why executing a person costs more than it does to imprison them for life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aicy

Strategos
Death%20penalty.gif

DeletedUser

I am against the death penalty for the reasons Hellstromm outlined.

There is no such thing as a 100% solid conviction and there's no going back once a person has been killed.

DeletedUser12324

CCTV? DNA? Eye witnesses? Confession? There is 100% proof in some cases.

DeletedUser

Hehe, cute chart there Aicy. Of course you realize time of executions don't correlate with time in which crime was committed. Nor is that chart even remotely clear as to location. And let us also consider a hundred other reasons why that chart is incredibly untrustworthy. So I have to ask, why did you post it?

DeletedUser

Hehe, cute chart there Aicy. Of course you realize time of executions don't correlate with time in which crime was committed. Nor is that chart even remotely clear as to location. And let us also consider a hundred other reasons why that chart is incredibly untrustworthy. So I have to ask, why did you post it?

You know, 65% of statistics are made up.

Aicy

Strategos

PoNxf.png

DeletedUser12324

me cus i is special? :p

But in all seriousness in some cases there really is a combination of solid evidence and the death sentence should be applied.

DeletedUser

Solid evidence according to who?

And more to the point, do you honestly think putting someone to death is a punishment? I would call that an easy out. Far better than spending your entire life in a prison cell, with Leroy as your --- consort.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

This is my opinion and im from England btw :)

One of the arguments someone posted was that a murder can never be 100% proved. What about a confession. I'm sure there are certain cases of mass murderes so mentally disturbed that they would happily admit.

One person said that if one person in a thousand was innocent and was killed by the death penalty then that is a reason to not have it. i used to think that. However, after watching the Shawshank Redemption when the old guy commits suicide and RED also has no idea what to do with his life you start to think. there is a quote that goes roughly, 'if they give you a life sentence, that's what they do, they take away your life'. So life imprisonement is 'taking the life' of a person just as much as the death sentence.

I do think if in exceptionally extreme circumstances the death sentence was allowed it should be done by lethal injection and as soon as possible, not after 50years. I once saw a program about an innocent guy getting sentenced to murder. Seeing him being starpped into the electric chair was seriously creepy and there is no reason for death by electrocution over death by lethal injection.

What do you guys think?

Aicy

Strategos
Shawshank Redemption is a film.

Confessions can be forced or faked. I studied this one guy in the early 20th century who was put to death for committing a murder as he had confessed to it, because he confessed to it. Why did he confess to it? Because he was mentally retarded and the person who actually did it convinced him too.

DeletedUser

It's a film, but do you really think that a life sentence is not taking away some's life????

And you can use the same argument again. That guy could be imprisoned for life even though he was innocent. How is that better than being killed? Me, i'd rtaher be killed.

Aicy

Strategos
It is not taking away their life, seeing as they are still living.

And if you sentence someone to a life sentence and they are proven innocent you can let them go free. If they are proven innocent and capital punishment is used they cannot be resurrected from the dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.