Death Penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

My Views on the subject

1. Even If I had what most would consider 100% evidence convicting someone of the worst crimes imaginable I would not be convinced they were guilty. The Human mind is very complex and simply because there is only one physical form before you does not mean that you are looking at one person. There are also other possibilities though unlikely such as identical twins demon possession and the list goes on...

2. If even one innocent person is convicted then it is not worth it.

3. I believe that those convicted should have to pay for their incarceration, if they cannot afford it then they should be trained to do a job. That way if they were to ever be released they have the life skills to support themselves and reduces the likely-hood of re-offending

DeletedUser

My Views on the subject

1. Even If I had what most would consider 100% evidence convicting someone of the worst crimes imaginable I would not be convinced they were guilty. The Human mind is very complex and simply because there is only one physical form before you does not mean that you are looking at one person. There are also other possibilities though unlikely such as identical twins demon possession and the list goes on...

lolwut?

DeletedUser

I just had an interesting thought.. If a person suffers from MPD, and the death penalty were in use, what would happen (or rather, what 'should' happen) if one of their personalities/identities committed a crime? Technically, were they to have been clinically diagnosed with the disorder, their other personality, or personalities, would be innocent. An innocent person and a guilty person, in the same body.. what happens? I assume that were it to happen the death penalty would still be in place and the person would be executed regardless of other personalities, but should this be the case or should there be some leniency?

DeletedUser

I am now lawyer but I am assuming that an Insane person would probably never go to jail, they would to to an insane asylum but it most likely depends on where you live.

But good job catching on to my point Corinthian this is exactly what I was bringing up. How do and how should our law systems handle these situations?

DeletedUser

I am now lawyer but I am assuming that an Insane person would probably never go to jail, they would to to an insane asylum but it most likely depends on where you live.

Being diagnosed with MPD isn't necessarily enough for someone to be considered insane, though.

DeletedUser4013

Actually it's enough for the courts in the UK, all that needs to be done is meet what is known as the M'Naghten Defense. The House of Lords laid down the following guidance:

...the jurors ought to be told in all cases that every man is presumed to be sane, and to possess a sufficient degree of reason to be responsible for his crimes, until the contrary be proved to their satisfaction; and that to establish a defence on the ground of insanity, it must be clearly proved that, at the time of the committing of the act, the party accused was labouring under such a defect of reason, from disease of the mind, as not to know the nature and quality of the act he was doing; or, if he did know it, that he did not know he was doing what was wrong.

DeletedUser

Actually it's enough for the courts in the UK, all that needs to be done is meet what is known as the M'Naghten Defense. The House of Lords laid down the following guidance:

...the jurors ought to be told in all cases that every man is presumed to be sane, and to possess a sufficient degree of reason to be responsible for his crimes, until the contrary be proved to their satisfaction; and that to establish a defence on the ground of insanity, it must be clearly proved that, at the time of the committing of the act, the party accused was labouring under such a defect of reason, from disease of the mind, as not to know the nature and quality of the act he was doing; or, if he did know it, that he did not know he was doing what was wrong.

"Disease of the mind" being the House of Lords terminology for mental illness, I presume?

DeletedUser

I think Death-note would make a interesting topic of discussion and fits right along the lines of weather or not the death penalty should be legal. Of course probably most of you have not watched it.

DeletedUser

I always thought the concept of Death Note was cool but the majority of the teeny boppers watching it and raving about it put me off from actually getting into it.

DeletedUser

I can tell by some of the comments on the death-note episodes that I am on a completely different page than the majority of the viewers however I do not let the opinions of others affect my opinion on the series or my enjoyment of it.

DeletedUser

I enjoyed the few episodes I watched but it was impossible to have a decent conversation about the series with someone else who watched it ("omg L is so hawt"). That and being busy with studies meant I couldn't finish it even if I wanted to though.

DeletedUser

My only knowledge of Death Note is that it's a some sort of black notebook with "Death Note" written on it. Is that correct? It may not be, as I only know that from watching a friend cos-play as the Death Note.

DeletedUser8396

Is it a viable punishment to crimes? Should it exist in some capacity or should it never be considered?

Does it exist in your country / state and what do you think about its implementation or lack thereof?

I think it is. It shouldn't be used all willy nilly, but more for heinous crimes.

Such as:

A wo/man walks in a building and randomly kills 10 children.
A wo/man is a serial rapist/killer.
Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.