Too Young For Showbiz?

• Thread starter Thomas The Magnificent
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

It's not that the children don't want to - in the case of MJ he loved music. He was pushed too far. I guess what should be looked at is when parents have no limitations in how much they involve themselves in what should be their Child's life.

DeletedUser12324

I do think that although there shouldn't be a minimum age for showbiz there should be guidelines.

Willow Smiths songs wasn't rude however i wouldn't quite call it appropriate for her age either.

There's no way some films/shows could work without child actors, i do however think there should be a limit of what can be done, although it's a hilarious film "rolemodels" has kids around the age of 12 around very mature language and themes.

So keep the kids in the biz but get some sort of guidelines in place! :)

DeletedUser12324

True i can't stand it but it seems quite a few others did, god help them :p

DeletedUser

One thing that could be looked at is the industry in which these children are exploited? For example, Anna Paquin did rather well for herself, although that home alone kid ( i can never spell his name right so i won't even try) got a bit messed up. Plus side for him - he dated Mila Kunis for ages.

DeletedUser

I kind of agree. They would be growing up to fast. But the bright side is they get an early start to their career. If they want to do it, go for it!

*facepalm*

You don't get the point.

Sadley they don't know they are being pushed, so they go for it.

Its not growing up fast its a unnatural childhood.

DeletedUser

I would argue that if you are exposed to hard work and the show bizz from an early age you do not miss a normal life, because you never had one in the first place. You cannot miss something you do not know. However it is the responsibility of the parents to allow for some downtime. We say some celebrities crack under the pressure. However that happens to "normal" people as well in their jobs. Then only difference is when the celebs mess up, everybody hears about it.

Sorry for playing devils advocate :p

DeletedUser

Yes what Gordopolis said is correct. We as normal people are "normal" so whatever happens to us won't be the concern of the world, but what happens to celebrities and other role models is a big concern and will be globally known. So the problem here is that everything which is happening to the celebrities is exposed to the whole world which is complicating the whole thing.

DeletedUser

Meh, I have a relative (yes, it's true, I have a relative) whose parents, at a very early age (the relative, not her parents, omg keep up ya njubs), were approached by an executive producer at Hollywood to be used in television. The parents opted not to put their child through it all.

So, this child grew up without ever becoming a star. Instead, when she was a young teen she got pregnant, ran away from home, had an abortion, became drug addicted, broke the addiction, then later got married, had a child, got a divorce, danced topless, quit dancing, got remarried, got a degree, and eventually got a good paying job that didn't entail frontal nudity (at least not her own).

So, without ever stepping onto a Hollywood stage, she lived a child actor's life...

And the moral of this story?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

*bing* "give that njub a kewpie doll!"

Statistically, U.S. child stars enter no greater troubles than your average middle/high income "brat" and experience far less hardships than them thar' low income U.S. whippersnappers.

The issues here are, it makes for good "real TV" drama and the renewed attention provides a means for aging "brats" to once again obtain some income and "stardom," albeit it in the form of novelties.

Life, for the most part, is hard for kids. It was particularly tough for kids in the 70's and 80's, where cultural identity clashed with jordache jeans, Pong was the big name video game, and dental hygiene was exposed as a myth (omg, that was like finding out Santa wasn't real!!).

We can speculate all we want, but the post-baby boom, post-vietnam, post-aquarius generation (most of your parents) were primed to go --- postal.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

One thing that could be looked at is the industry in which these children are exploited? For example, Anna Paquin did rather well for herself, although that home alone kid ( i can never spell his name right so i won't even try) got a bit messed up. Plus side for him - he dated Mila Kunis for ages.

Macaulay Culkin.. I was just thinking about him as I read this thread. He had some serious drug problems for a time, although there's never been any real connection to child acting, with that.

DeletedUser

You must be this tall to be a celebrity?

Why get rid of child celebrities when we could get rid of them all? (bar the cool ones ofc, CAN'T LIVE without them.)

DeletedUser

Macaulay Culkin.. I was just thinking about him as I read this thread. He had some serious drug problems for a time, although there's never been any real connection to child acting, with that.

Uh, Home Alone? Y'know? Or Dennis the Menace, Richie Rich?

DeletedUser

Uh, Home Alone? Y'know? Or Dennis the Menace, Richie Rich?

I meant that the issues child actors have aren't really things which can be proven to have any direct link to their acting. I'm sure there are child actors who have gone on to live perfectly normal lives, just as much as there are people who have never been actors (or celebrities of any sort) who lead totally 'messed up' lives, complete with drug problems and sex scandals.

DeletedUser4013

I really don't think that having the life of a child celebrity affects a child that much. Some examples - Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint all grew up with the Harry Potter films. They were essentially children when they began filming for those films. Drew Barrymore started off in ET (for those of you young enough to know that film I still cry at the end :( ) and in fact her family is entrenched in Hollywood.

Now as I am sure the younger generations on here will all be familiar with Cribs and My Super Sweet 16 shows on MTV. The children in those shows (yes, there is a Cribs about the kids who have everything because mom and dad cannot say no) have every opportunity to benefit from what they have, but they will most likely find themselves in the same situation that the child celebrities end up in. Why? It has nothing to do with being introduced to fame at a young age. It is entirely up to the parents and the values that they instill in their children.

Status
Not open for further replies.