Grepolympia...is too much

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

To curly123:

I think you've missed the point. I, and probably other "haters", are well aware that there is no obligation, and that we can join the premium players if we wish. The point is that Grepolympia drastically changes the game - which runs the risk of turning away players who liked the "old" Grepolis.

I suppose it comes down to why we play Grepolis.

If you play for the social aspect, then everything's fine.
If you play because you like to win (and you have gold to spend), then everything's fine.
If you play the game because you like a battle of wits, then you might as well leave now. Gold now makes such a huge difference that strategy plays a minor role.

I don't think I'm exaggerating Grepolympia's effect. One month of theoretically unlimited resources is a very long time.

EDIT: Many of our arguments have already been made: http://forum.en.grepolis.com/showthread.php?31826-Buy-Resourses

I'm surprised that the developers went through with the current version of Grepolympia, given the overwhelmingly negative response in that thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

To the haters, replicating what the few people who realized that there is no obligation to take part in this event have said.

If you don't want to take part in the event because you don't want to waste your money on a game, thats your choice. You can still compete occasionally, but you have really no reason to be upset/. Its not slowing the game, its not hurting your game and its pretty fair.

You say it gives people with lots of gold an advantage. Has it occurred to you that that person has lots of gold to spend, because they have spent lots of (and heres the key thing) money on it. If you so wished, you could also spend lots of money and do the same thing. However maybe you don't want to spend lots of money on a long computer game which doesn't provide you with any real life benefit. Instead you've decided to spend money on things which improve your actual life. The heavy gold users have not made this choice.

The gold arguments make no sense to me. If you want to be at a level playing field to the gold users, you can become one yourself.

Besides, they all burn out after a month, its not a sustainable way to play the game, and if they do, well thats them at a disadvantage not you, as their probably spending too much money on a game.

Just my insights

While it's completely true, my point is more on the companies side rather than on the players side. Obviously there's going to be burn-outs who pay-to-win and just completely frag once they run out of gold, but that really isn't the point. Their point is, What's the point of a game where no matter how much you actually work at it someone just buys it? I guess the contention would be more along the lines of Rich kid vs Poor kid mentality.

My point is that if it goes so well, it might spark a repeat and have it permanent at some point so it goes from Free-To-Play to Pay-To-Win, thoroughly destroying the large base of casual spenders (you know, anywhere from $10-$100 that adds up per player) compared to the smaller portion of the heavy-buyers. ($200+) that accounts for a good amount when talked about, but when counted up doesn't nearly reach the amount the base generates). Like you said, they eventually run out of money to pay for it and leave. A game that survives on a few players isn't really a game, as this type more of a tactic to bring in last-ditch money when a game is dying, despite what the intention was in the first place.

When you ignore the free-to-plays that just buy to get that small edge, and hand over reigns to heavily-cash shopped (lets call it what it is, shall we?) players just because they're paying the most and take the "You don't HAVE to do it and let them have the rewards" attitude towards the whole thing, Then what exactly is the staffs job other than keeping it running? They have to make money, but people can just move to the next game on facebook or whatever way their playing when it starts costing them an arm and a leg.

Don't get me wrong i love their idea on bringing in the Olympics to the game and the idea was AMAZING when i started reading it and said Bravo, but once i saw the costs for things and the rewards for it... i kind of just put a hand to my face and thought of how much this is going to be abused while it lasts.

/end wall-o-post.

DeletedUser

IG are one of the best companies I know when it comes to free play vs paid play.

They respect the free players, and dont downgrade their strategy.

We must remember IG is a business and it needs money. As long as IG makes money, Grepolis is a viable game for them.

Gold buyers are essential to Grepolis, without people buying their way to victory Grepolis would not exist.

I've played some games where you could only get to the top if you paid ridiculous amount of money.

DeletedUser

So have i, which is why i'm having flash-backs of the days before and after the games went from free to I HAVE TO GET A MORTGAGE TO PLAY?!

DeletedUser

IG are one of the best companies I know when it comes to free play vs paid play.

I would have agreed with you before Grepolympia.

Gold buyers are essential to Grepolis, without people buying their way to victory Grepolis would not exist.

I understand this need, but there are already other, more reasonable premium features.

I'm not a businessman, and I have no idea how vital Grepolympia is to IG. I just hope that there is a better solution.

DeletedUser

So have i, which is why i'm having flash-backs of the days before and after the games went from free to HOLY I HAVE TO GET A MORTGAGE TO PLAY?!

Yeah I know some game where the top player spent $27,000 dollars on that game.

I'd be surprised if any one Grepo players has spent over $1000 dollars.

(I've spent exactly $3, which was a one off purchase because I felt generous)

DeletedUser

Yeah I know some game where the top player spent $27,000 dollars on that game.

I'd be surprised if any one Grepo players has spent over $1000 dollars.

(I've spent exactly $3, which was a one off purchase because I felt generous)

PWI (Perfect World International) has players who spend ridiculous amounts of money to actually be anywhere near among the top. There have been people who have spent about $50,000+ (one of them otherwise known as Shinzoko in Lost City server) for their gear BEFORE they became permanent.

DeletedUser

A quick note.

I am not asking IG to waste all of their work and remove Grepolympics; that would be senseless. But I think everyone (except for big spenders who only play to win) would be happy if IG added a limit to the number of re-entries, or something like the Phoenician merchant's decreasing trade rates.

The addition might even surprise IG by increasing their profits, due to a greater number of players. I don't know how many players are actually going to leave if Grepolis remains Pay-to-Win, but just a thought.

DeletedUser

Let's keep the competition and get rid of the laurels/shop? I want that 20% attack bonus more than anything, even if it only last for a week. I can do a lot of damage in seven days.

(SW)

DeletedUser

Let's keep the competition and get rid of the laurels/shop? I want that 20% attack bonus more than anything, even if it only last for a week. I can do a lot of damage in seven days.

(SW)

At 15,000 gold per day I'm not surprised.

Yes, because you spend much money to do so. We are not panicking but believe that is extremely unfair that you can purchase a #1 position.

DeletedUser

Look at my activity chart, Transient (which I doubt you even know how to do). I'm the most active person on Olympia two times over. I'm not simply buying victory; I know strategy and I know game mechanics well enough to take out your MRA without a heap of gold. This will merely hasten your demise.

By the way, Transient, this is no place to discuss server related issues. Your comment belongs on the Olympia forum.

In addition, I've been number one for months and that's not gonna change. I earned my spot at the top. I don't have a wife and a kid or a job. lol

DeletedUser

By the way, Transient, this is no place to discuss server related issues. Your comment belongs on the Olympia forum.

Then why did you mention something world specific:

I see so much negativity. I'm in an alliance of 22 against hundreds in multiple MRAs and have achieved celebrity villain status simply be being good at this game. Grepolympia is my great equalizer. I've cast darn near 30 lightning bolts today and the enemy is panicking.

I LOVE this event.

I was merely pointing out your own admission of what has been spent and then explained what that money is being spent on.

DeletedUser

The shop exists, therefore I spend to avoid letting others have an advantage over me. I'd be just as happy if laurels were removed.

DeletedUser15240

Please tell me, i'm a little confused by this one, why is it some kind of obligation to win? Yes its free to play, as for winning, only one person can. In the long term its not a goldie. Its someone who spends 1k of gold a month probably, just on advantages. As for everyone else, you don't have to win to enjoy the game, if thats the kind of attitude you take in life then thats a shame for you. Besides, I would say this is an alliance game more than a player game.

As for you have to pay, there is a thing called sponsor pay. Small guy who used to play this game, idk if you heard of him, socrates34. He never bought a penny of gold, and he was no.1 in both xi and corinth. He didn't need gold to win, he just used activity and skill. The goldies burnt out after a month, so in the end, they didn't win. All he used was sponsor pay to keep himself topped up for premiums.

Besides, surely an alliance winning is more important than a single goldie winning?

DeletedUser29371

Please tell me, i'm a little confused by this one, why is it some kind of obligation to win? Yes its free to play, as for winning, only one person can. In the long term its not a goldie. Its someone who spends 1k of gold a month probably, just on advantages. As for everyone else, you don't have to win to enjoy the game, if thats the kind of attitude you take in life then thats a shame for you. Besides, I would say this is an alliance game more than a player game.

As for you have to pay, there is a thing called sponsor pay. Small guy who used to play this game, idk if you heard of him, socrates34. He never bought a penny of gold, and he was no.1 in both xi and corinth. He didn't need gold to win, he just used activity and skill. The goldies burnt out after a month, so in the end, they didn't win. All he used was sponsor pay to keep himself topped up for premiums.

Besides, surely an alliance winning is more important than a single goldie winning?

This is absolutely right... It is really obvious that most complainers are people with LIMITED amount of gold (lets say 1500 per month or so) They are generally average players who join MASS RECRUIT ALLIANCES and problem they are facing now is cos they stirred up wrong players and are getting hammered now and then they say: ''This is not fun its abusive! '' and so on and you know why... because they had balance before 130 vs 20 players and we could not annoy them enough now with gold such players can annoy them for 35 days CONSTANTLY... Before they were safe in their MRAs doing annoying runs themselves now all this has come haunting them and they feel cheated...

Just like Active players feel cheated on abusive defense system and camping stuff with militia.

Eat it up and dont complain! I was BOLTED for multiple times prior to this game now i am giving everyone back with interest rates and they complain!

DeletedUser

It's truly amazing how people can defend this system which is obviously flawed.

Before someone starts whining about supporting the game and all that, I do support this game. I buy gold, and it gives me some nice and small advantages, like the instant farming from the captain. it's nice, everyone can get these by spending a little bit of money on this free and great game. People not spending that money will be at a disadvantage, but can still do good if they are active and good.

The only problem with the grepolympics is that those instant resouce spells are just unreal. you can get a 775 point colony maxed out on buildings in a day, you can hit someone with a fully developped nuke city, lose everything and just buy back all your units and try again a few hours later. Right now in troy, if a 10 member alliance with 1K point cities (which is horrible) would all spend $100, they'd be top 5 the next day. It's just silly and takes all the skill and strategy away from the game.

I saw someone claim that it's still about skill and activity, but it's not, that's the problem. I'm just a decent player, nowhere near the best. If you'd give me and the best player around, who is on 24/7, a 1k point city on the same island with me having 10k gold and him 0, normally I'd lose, hard.
With the grepolympcis on, I'd win super easy, as I'd have conquest and a huge army in one day. Same way I'd beat Kasparov in chess if he'd start without his queen. Same way I'd beat Usain Bolt on the 100 meters if I started with a 60 meter advantage.

It's super easy to fix as well, just put a cooldown on the shop items. A 6h cooldown on the resource spells and no one would complain, gold users would still gain an advantage, the grepolympics would still be fun, but it doesn't turn the game upside down.

DeletedUser

I saw someone claim that it's still about skill and activity, but it's not, that's the problem. I'm just a decent player, nowhere near the best. If you'd give me and the best player around, who is on 24/7, a 1k point city on the same island with me having 10k gold and him 0, normally I'd lose, hard.
With the grepolympcis on, I'd win super easy, as I'd have conquest and a huge army in one day. Same way I'd beat Kasparov in chess if he'd start without his queen. Same way I'd beat Usain Bolt on the 100 meters if I started with a 60 meter advantage.

You still wouldn't though :p

Both Usain Bolt and the player.

DeletedUser29371

It's truly amazing how people can defend this system which is obviously flawed.

Before someone starts whining about supporting the game and all that, I do support this game. I buy gold, and it gives me some nice and small advantages, like the instant farming from the captain. it's nice, everyone can get these by spending a little bit of money on this free and great game. People not spending that money will be at a disadvantage, but can still do good if they are active and good.

The only problem with the grepolympics is that those instant resouce spells are just unreal. you can get a 775 point colony maxed out on buildings in a day, you can hit someone with a fully developped nuke city, lose everything and just buy back all your units and try again a few hours later. Right now in troy, if a 10 member alliance with 1K point cities (which is horrible) would all spend $100, they'd be top 5 the next day. It's just silly and takes all the skill and strategy away from the game.

It's super easy to fix as well, just put a cooldown on the shop items. A 6h cooldown on the resource spells and no one would complain, gold users would still gain an advantage, the grepolympics would still be fun, but it doesn't turn the game upside down.

if you put cooldown on shop items people will stop doing extra runs at some points 6h cs = 4 times a day you can buy res..... and that means X many times in 1 month... so someoen will gather LAURELS till that amount then stop

You are annoyed because someone wants to pay 100 euros and win and you do not want to have to... its like saying i hate people who buy game cos they have fun and i dont cos i dont spend XX euros on it...

get over it and learn to play... if player is skilled he can defend from gold spammer anyday....

Problem is cos many gold spammers are infact AWESOME players and thats deadly combination hell i am 100% sure if we give people unlimited res i would still beat 90% cos of skill gold just gives less annoyance of newbs and noobs and averages... it evens the odds 120 vs 20 players (alliance vs alliance) aint fair either you know?

DeletedUser

if you put cooldown on shop items people will stop doing extra runs at some points 6h cs = 4 times a day you can buy res..... and that means X many times in 1 month... so someoen will gather LAURELS till that amount then stop

You are annoyed because someone wants to pay 100 euros and win and you do not want to have to... its like saying i hate people who buy game cos they have fun and i dont cos i dont spend XX euros on it...

get over it and learn to play... if player is skilled he can defend from gold spammer anyday....

Problem is cos many gold spammers are infact AWESOME players and thats deadly combination hell i am 100% sure if we give people unlimited res i would still beat 90% cos of skill gold just gives less annoyance of newbs and noobs and averages... it evens the odds 120 vs 20 players (alliance vs alliance) aint fair either you know?

It's not jealousy as all, I could spend that ammount of money easily. I have enough gold on my account to get top 10. It's just frustration that a fun strategy game gets turned into a spending contest. If this game was a 100 euro purschase I'd buy it, your comparison is weak as that's a totally different thing.

You seem to think that I'm some noob in a 120 member MRA, and if that were the case, you'd might have a point in being able to take me on. I'm not however, I'm a decent player. builds are good, timings make sense, on for a few hours everyday.

The fact that you think you could beat a decent player who has unlimited resources and no building time one on one pretty much sums it up. A 1k point city with no gold can't get conquest in a week, a 1k point city with unlimited resources and no building times has it in a day. you can't dodge the cs, and even if you'd manage to snipe it (against a hugely superior force) it'll be rebuild in hours, seriously, it's not realistic.

Oh and I don't see the point of bringing up things like it being 120 vs 20, or gold spenders being good players, that's not relevant at all.

If you like playing games where the highest spender wins, go to ebay.

You still wouldn't though :p

Both Usain Bolt and the player.

I would, it's not something to brag about as it would be a completely hollow victory, but I would.

I can easily run 40 meters in 9 seconds, that's only 16km/h avg in a sprint, it sure would look silly with him running twice as fast as me :p

And yes I would beat anyone with a queen up in chess, I'm not that great at it (about 2100 elo). As in grepo, I'm decent. but good enough to win with that big of an advantage.

DeletedUser29371

It's not jealousy as all, I could spend that ammount of money easily. I have enough gold on my account to get top 10. It's just frustration that a fun strategy game gets turned into a spending contest. If this game was a 100 euro purschase I'd buy it, your comparison is weak as that's a totally different thing.

You seem to think that I'm some noob in a 120 member MRA, and if that were the case, you'd might have a point in being able to take me on. I'm not however, I'm a decent player. builds are good, timings make sense, on for a few hours everyday.

The fact that you think you could beat a decent player who has unlimited resources and no building time one on one pretty much sums it up. A 1k point city with no gold can't get conquest in a week, a 1k point city with unlimited resources and no building times has it in a day. you can't dodge the cs, and even if you'd manage to snipe it (against a hugely superior force) it'll be rebuild in hours, seriously, it's not realistic.

Oh and I don't see the point of bringing up things like it being 120 vs 20, or gold spenders being good players, that's not relevant at all.

If you like playing games where the highest spender wins, go to ebay.

Dude if you give a player everything UNLIMITED he will screw up... Do you disagree? I see players taking troops in farming villages instead resources, i see players sending unescorted TRANSPORTS after 2 MONTHS of server world open!

If you give them unlimited amount of res ill still own them with limited amount of res and only advisors...

here is the key...

Many players who really use gold alot are ACTUALLY also pretty good if not great players, and that is deadly combination...

A noob is a noob regardless of amount of gold he has and will fail in this game against good players. However great player with tons of gold will own everything which is good and useful cos now atleast we can break through tons of MRAs on our world...

Status
Not open for further replies.