Phone War - What Would You Do?

• Thread starter DeletedUser8396
  • Start date

DeletedUser8396

Hey all! It's little ol' me again. I'm looking at phones atm and was wondering if you had any firsthand reviews or "expert" knowledge in the area. I'm rather good at the phone scene, more than most, but I've been coming to grips with the recent options.

Apple is out. They're trash. Windows is likely out as well, but I may have missed something here as I, admittedly, lack a lot of knowledge on their phone base. Android is, however, my domain.

I've narrowed it down to these options (from most likely to least likely):

Galaxy S6 / Nexus 6, Samsung Note 4, HTC M9

The S6 is only ahead of the Nexus 6 due to the increase in CPU power - a 64 bit, 8 core CPU clocking in at 2.1 Ghz. This is over the Quad core 2.7 Ghz. However, the Nexus 6 wins out in screen size (6" vs 5.1"). Battery life is practically a tie.

Then we have the crux of the debate: Touchwiz. I've heard it be the bane of existence and the blessing. Samsung's overlay for the Android OS. This is likely where it'll come down to, but I'm not so sure.

The CPU's main difference is that one has 4 more cores, 64 bit instead of 32, and but 0.6 Ghz less. Also, the 4 core has a better graphics processor. Would anyone be able to tell me if any significant difference will be noticed?

I know that the apps I run will need to be optimized for 64 bit before that even begins to matter and that the 8 cores likely won't aid in much over the 4 cores unless the apps handle multiple cores past what the 4 could handle.

After that, it's mainly down to Touchwiz's benefits/disbenefits, which I have no firsthand knowledge of and reviews vary insanely.

Let me know your thoughts!

DeletedUser

I've heard great things about both the Sony Xperia line and the One Plus One, although they are both relatively hard to get your hands on in the states.

As far as CPU power, knowing nothing else about the two chips in question, the higher clock speed would likely be a greater benefit as most software for computers hasn't even considered multithreaded multicore design, let alone on phones yet.

I have seen first hand the Galaxy S3, S4, and S5, and used them for a bit (over several months each. Not my personal phone, but I've used them). And all three felt like pieces of plastic junk made with the cheapest materials Samsung could get their hands on. I haven't seen the s6, but I refuse to anticipate a great difference.

Alternatively, I would consider, depending on what you're going to use the phone for and how much you're going to tinker with it, the inevitability of bricking it, and which corporation you want to try and talk to for support.

DeletedUser8396

I've heard great things about both the Sony Xperia line and the One Plus One, although they are both relatively hard to get your hands on in the states.

As far as CPU power, knowing nothing else about the two chips in question, the higher clock speed would likely be a greater benefit as most software for computers hasn't even considered multithreaded multicore design, let alone on phones yet.

I have seen first hand the Galaxy S3, S4, and S5, and used them for a bit (over several months each. Not my personal phone, but I've used them). And all three felt like pieces of plastic junk made with the cheapest materials Samsung could get their hands on. I haven't seen the s6, but I refuse to anticipate a great difference.

Alternatively, I would consider, depending on what you're going to use the phone for and how much you're going to tinker with it, the inevitability of bricking it, and which corporation you want to try and talk to for support.

Actually, the cosmetics were significantly upgraded on the S6. Like...no joke.

DeletedUser

A significant upgrade would put them in the same tier as ~2008 LG phones.
Not comparable to the early iPhones, that had absolutely outstanding build quality, or the more recent Sony phones and the Nexus line, that are both solid but not exceptional.

I could've sworn I was going to break the earlier phones in the Galaxy line just by attempting to make a call.

DeletedUser8396

Not comparable to the early iPhones, that had absolutely outstanding build quality, or the more recent Sony phones and the Nexus line, that are both solid but not exceptional.

I could've sworn I was going to break the earlier phones in the Galaxy line just by attempting to make a call.

The latest line is really a significant improvement, so I hear.

DeletedUser

The latest line is really a significant improvement, so I hear.

I do hope so, but I would remain hesitant based on my own experiences.

Apple 4life

Assuming we are only talking about phones, I've been extremely disappointing recently.
While they may have been the first ones to get a touch screen not to be awful, they've been lagging behind other phone manufacturers since the 4s and their build quality has been very questionable since the 5s.

Varun

Strategos
The Touchwiz is actually one of the featuresin which Samsung made some fame. I never found out any problems with Touchwiz. However, the Galaxy phones have a tendency to lose their touch sensitivity after increased usage.

Also, the difference between 8 cores and 4 cores is vast actually. 8 cores provide better of everything than the 4 cores.

DeletedUser8396

The Touchwiz is actually one of the featuresin which Samsung made some fame. I never found out any problems with Touchwiz. However, the Galaxy phones have a tendency to lose their touch sensitivity after increased usage.

Also, the difference between 8 cores and 4 cores is vast actually. 8 cores provide better of everything than the 4 cores.

Only if the 8 cores can be utilized on the application. Otherwise they aren't beneficial over the 0.6 Ghz.

Varun

Strategos
Yeah and I believe that they are. Also, the factor of 0.6 Ghz seems minimal but every GHz counts into a massive proportion of computing power for any system.

DeletedUser19042

Nokia Lumia (Windows Phone)

I have it and am enormously satisfied with it.

DeletedUser

Lol the bias is unreal.

The Galaxy s6 is by far the best phone from your list. The only downside I can see is that it has no microSD slot but if that's not a problem for you then it's the best phone on the market today. Build quality has always been great on galaxy S devices, they just used to use plastic instead of glass and metal (which made the pone more durable, actually, Benvolio. ;) ) But even with the S6 they have changed the materials to feel more 'premium' whatever that means. The S6's screen may be smaller than the Nexus6/note4 but it's hands-down the best screen on the market today. Bright, colour accurate and razorsharp. It also has the best camera og any phone on the market atm. I definitely suggest this phone. Don't be confused by the change in frequency on the processor, S6 outperforms the nexus is every way. Qualcom 805 failed because it has serious overheating problems so it's throttled very quickly. Exynos is finally out of beta it seems and it's now very stable and performs flawlesly. GPU is a bit worse but you'll only notice that in advanced 3D games, if that's your thing.

The note 4 and nexus 6 are also great but no reason to take them over the s6 unless you really want a stylus/large screen or stock android without hassle.

HTC M9 is not a bad phone at all(all your options are great phones) but it was very disappointing, could have been so much more. + HTC might very well be gone in 2 years so maybe you wont be getting any updates :p

Touchwiz is still not great but it's been significantly improved over the last few years and it's not bad at all now. It actually makes stock android feel a little bare-bones now. Plus, it's android so rooting and putting a custom ROM on it is always possible.

Expertise: Android hobbyist, phone enthousiast, have developed some android apps and have a 'rooting business' so I use a lot of phones for extended periods.

effective.
Power لُلُصّبُلُلصّبُررً ॣ ॣh ॣ ॣ 冗

hahah

Yeah apple is okay but very dumbed down, wouldnt suggest it anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8396

Lol the bias is unreal.

The Galaxy s6 is by far the best phone from your list. The only downside I can see is that it has no microSD slot but if that's not a problem for you then it's the best phone on the market today. Build quality has always been great on galaxy S devices, they just used to use plastic instead of glass and metal (which made the pone more durable, actually, Benvolio. ;) ) But even with the S6 they have changed the materials to feel more 'premium' whatever that means. The S6's screen may be smaller than the Nexus6/note4 but it's hands-down the best screen on the market today. Bright, colour accurate and razorsharp. It also has the best camera og any phone on the market atm. I definitely suggest this phone. Don't be confused by the change in frequency on the processor, S6 outperforms the nexus is every way. Qualcom 805 failed because it has serious overheating problems so it's throttled very quickly. Exynos is finally out of beta it seems and it's now very stable and performs flawlesly. GPU is a bit worse but you'll only notice that in advanced 3D games, if that's your thing.

The note 4 and nexus 6 are also great but no reason to take them over the s6 unless you really want a stylus/large screen or stock android without hassle.

HTC M9 is not a bad phone at all(all your options are great phones) but it was very disappointing, could have been so much more. + HTC might very well be gone in 2 years so maybe you wont be getting any updates :p

Touchwiz is still not great but it's been significantly improved over the last few years and it's not bad at all now. It actually makes stock android feel a little bare-bones now. Plus, it's android so rooting and putting a custom ROM on it is always possible.

Expertise: Android hobbyist, phone enthousiast, have developed some android apps and have a 'rooting business' so I use a lot of phones for extended periods.

hahah

Yeah apple is okay but very dumbed down, wouldnt suggest it anymore.

Looks like it's down to the S6 Edge or regular S6.

DeletedUser36436

I love my M9, but I also see why people dislike it and I can see that it isn't much of an upgrade from the M8 but it is still my favourite phone to date (apart from my first phone the 1999 Nokia).

The reason why I loved the old Nokia is because I have basically abused it to pieces and it still worked. It even survived a car crash/fire (it even had a mail on the answering system :D).

DeletedUser

Looks like it's down to the S6 Edge or regular S6.
Entirely down to preference, I suggest going to a store and trying them out both there and then make your choice. Personally I would go for the Edge but there's really almost no difference.

Spoken like a person that hasn't looked at Windows 10. Or 8.1 for that matter.
This. Microsoft is absolutely killing it atm. win10 being able to run both .apk's and iOS apps NATIVELY makes it look VERY interesting :D