A Grepolis Themed Debate (2)

• Thread starter DeletedUser6156
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Being a top 100 player in any 2.0 world needs these two things:
1. MONEY. You can literally trade money for resources once you get a harbour. Very very stupid, the main reason I quit this game for over a year.
2. ACTIVITY. If you've got no life and can demand resources every five minutes you'll do well.

The 'infinite' merchant resource trade issue is resolved. Players get an increasingly unfavorable resource trade off each time they use the merchant. This has been fixed for months now.

Being a top 100 player in a 1.26 world needed these two things:
1. ACTIVITY. But not even close to the extent of 2.0 worlds. You only needed to play about two hours a day in order to finish all your farming.
2. STRATEGY.

Yes, while 2.0 technically consumes more time to be competitive, lets not pretend 1.26 worlds only required 2 hours of daily activity by using farming as the hallmark example. You would still lose cities easily with that kind of activity back then as you would now, unless you were playing a speed 1 conquest world with 24 hour city captures.

Grepolis is no longer a game of strategy, teamwork (alliancework?) and wit but a game who who has the most money and is willing to sit in front of their computer for 16 hours a day clicking a blue button with demand written on it.

Not really, players who are more active benefit from being more active, where as those who don't are not put on an equal competitive edge to those who are more dedicated. Hardly something worth getting irate about.

DeletedUser

2.0 has the cut troop training time with gold option. This should be removed totally imo, i have seen cities saved because the player mass golded a nuke in a few seconds (or minutes) before the CS lands. Totally overpowered.

I know they changed it from 20-25 gold, but i still think there should be a limit, like you can only cut each queue twice or something.

DeletedUser23986

I agree. I managed to sea storm a cs, and in 5mins another cs was rebuild and sent to my town.

DeletedUser

The 'infinite' merchant resource trade issue is resolved. Players get an increasingly unfavorable resource trade off each time they use the merchant. This has been fixed for months now.

Whilst that is 'resolved', it doesn't mean you can have the same amount of resources and someone who plays 12 hours a day. Farming resources is also another issue that has risen with 2.x. Money does pretty much give you a top spot in the game provided you pour enough of it into it.

Yes, while 2.0 technically consumes more time to be competitive, lets not pretend 1.26 worlds only required 2 hours of daily activity by using farming as the hallmark example. You would still lose cities easily with that kind of activity back then as you would now, unless you were playing a speed 1 conquest world with 24 hour city captures.

You only needed to do two hours of actual playing... It was brilliant to be able to log in, see that there's no attacks coming in, and log off straight away. We can't do this now (if we're farming in 2.x)

Not really, players who are more active benefit from being more active, where as those who don't are not put on an equal competitive edge to those who are more dedicated. Hardly something worth getting irate about.

I'm not going to argue this point as I think it's a matter of opinion, although personally I agree (for once), with Aicy.

DeletedUser

Whilst that is 'resolved', it doesn't mean you can have the same amount of resources and someone who plays 12 hours a day. Farming resources is also another issue that has risen with 2.x. Money does pretty much give you a top spot in the game provided you pour enough of it into it.

You mean the same amount of resources as someone who plays 12 hours a day? Apologies if I misunderstand the point you are trying to make here, but the sentence structure is a little non-sequitur, and yes the resources would not technically be the same. Given the new changes, the differences aren't phenomenally different either, and any result that would give a gold player an edge would be deemed 'unbalanced' by somebody, while at the same time, not giving any advantage would diminish the point of having such a feature to begin with. There appears to be a greater trend of people who seem to complain than people who offer solutions, I think you might agree.

You only needed to do two hours of actual playing... It was brilliant to be able to log in, see that there's no attacks coming in, and log off straight away. We can't do this now (if we're farming in 2.x)

If we are to compare purely on a 'farming' basis, technically you can log in for less time per day to do your farming in 2.0 worlds. Simply click the 8 hours button for all your cities for around 5 minutes (more than enough using Captain for 100 or so cities), and do the same 8 hours later for another 5 minutes. Smaller empires would require even less time to manage this process; ergo, profit on the time required to get resources from the 1.26 days.

I'm not going to argue this point as I think it's a matter of opinion, although personally I agree (for once), with Aicy.

Ironically, that was the very reason it was brought up, because the argument put forward by Aicy is speculative and can be equally argued back from the perspective of 'give players who dedicate more time to the game more benefits', which is just as, if not arguably more reasonable. I'd happily agree the new system is repetitive, but in terms of being a time-saver compared to the old system; I would strongly disagree, as well as add that wasting farm space on trying to build high-loot units to have a decent chance at farming villages was an annoying prospect back in the 1.26 days that numerous players complained about. You can't please everybody all of the time.

2.0 has the cut troop training time with gold option. This should be removed totally imo, i have seen cities saved because the player mass golded a nuke in a few seconds (or minutes) before the CS lands. Totally overpowered.

I know they changed it from 20-25 gold, but i still think there should be a limit, like you can only cut each queue twice or something.

I noticed that they do have a natural limit in place, but perhaps placing said limit around 2-3 times wouldn't be unreasonable. I would like to hear a moderators perspective on this issue.

not clear
- Unsigned de-rep.

Perhaps you should make yourself known here and ask properly instead of behaving in an underhanded manner.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I agree with everything horus has said, and he formulated it better than I could. :D

DeletedUser

You mean the same amount of resources as someone who plays 12 hours a day? Apologies if I misunderstand the point you are trying to make here, but the sentence structure is a little non-sequitur, and yes the resources would not technically be the same. Given the new changes, the differences aren't phenomenally different either, and any result that would give a gold player an edge would be deemed 'unbalanced' by somebody, while at the same time, not giving any advantage would diminish the point of having such a feature to begin with. There appears to be a greater trend of people who seem to complain than people who offer solutions, I think you might agree.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, my grammar isn't spectacular, although I do try my best. :) My point is that people who spend money get abilities that are far beyond over-powered, and that doesn't even come close to the unbalanced-ness of the farming. The initial point referred to the Phen-Merchant, and it was said that this particular exploit had been fixed. No, it hasn't been fixed, its effect has simply been reduced. It is STILL a major benefit to those who can afford it. Cutting times is another one. I don't think this should be abolished, but it is still a factor that those who cut times on resource collecting buildings will be far ahead in terms of resources, especially in the early-mid game. Cutting times in the market is yet another factor in the equation. If an alliance has 2-3 members who are gold spenders and need resources fast, they can cut the times in half and have the resources to buy units, and therefore have units in time to defend themselves faster, whereas a non-premium player can only sit and hope that the merchant arrives in time. The 30% extra resources Merchant is another obvious one, which I won't go in to.

Back to farming. In 2.x, you benefit MOST if you stay online all day pressing the demand button repeatedly. In 1.26, a person who played 2-3 hours a day could get the same amount of resources from one city as a player who played 12 hours a day. I don't know if you were here for 1.26 or earlier, but I certainly was and can say it was much more relaxing and less stressful, knowing you can have a life and play Grepolis, not one or the other.

The features I mentioned earlier were still available in 1.26 (if I remember correctly.... Maybe the Phen Merchant wasn't, my memory is a little off), and thus here is my conclusion;

Those who play 12 hours a day farming in 2.x, make more resources than those had all of those Gold features (and farmed) in 1.26.

I agree with everything horus has said, and he formulated it better than I could. :D

Not sure if Skully or imposter.

DeletedUser

My point is that people who spend money get abilities that are far beyond over-powered, and that doesn't even come close to the unbalanced-ness of the farming.
You are overexaggerating. People who spend money get benefits, isn't that the whole point of spending money on a FTP game? To get some benefits?
The initial point referred to the Phen-Merchant, and it was said that this particular exploit had been fixed. No, it hasn't been fixed, its effect has simply been reduced. It is STILL a major benefit to those who can afford it.
It is not as bad as it was in the slightest. You used to be able to get infinite resources. Luckily they have fixed it now and your rates will become unfavourable very quickly.
Cutting times is another one. I don't think this should be abolished, but it is still a factor that those who cut times on resource collecting buildings will be far ahead in terms of resources, especially in the early-mid game. Cutting times in the market is yet another factor in the equation. If an alliance has 2-3 members who are gold spenders and need resources fast, they can cut the times in half and have the resources to buy units, and therefore have units in time to defend themselves faster, whereas a non-premium player can only sit and hope that the merchant arrives in time. The 30% extra resources Merchant is another obvious one, which I won't go in to.
I agree that the number of times you are be able to cut the times should be limited, but it is not nearly as much of a problem as you suggest. Cutting times a lot is very expensive and only very few people use it that much.

Back to farming. In 2.x, you benefit MOST if you stay online all day pressing the demand button repeatedly. In 1.26, a person who played 2-3 hours a day could get the same amount of resources from one city as a player who played 12 hours a day.
Isn't that the point though... people who put more time and effort in playing this game should end up higher in the ranks! That's how it works in every game..
I don't know if you were here for 1.26 or earlier, but I certainly was and can say it was much more relaxing and less stressful, knowing you can have a life and play Grepolis, not one or the other.
I have a life and I am very active and a fairly good player. It's not that hard to combine.

The features I mentioned earlier were still available in 1.26 (if I remember correctly.... Maybe the Phen Merchant wasn't, my memory is a little off), and thus here is my conclusion;
The Phoenician Merchant was not available in 1.26. ;)
Those who play 12 hours a day farming in 2.x, make more resources than those had all of those Gold features (and farmed) in 1.26.
ISN'T THAT THE POINT? You're complaining about how gold gives too much of a bonus and then you say that people who don't use gold can be equally as good as someone who did use gold before. It's only been balanced more. Activity is a more important factor than gold.
You're inconsistent :p

Another big plus to the 2.x farming is that it is much less time-consuming that the 1.26 farming once you get more than 5 cities. And you can still do the 8 hour farming in 2.x with 20 cities, while 1.26 style farming with 1.26 is a major pain to do.
On top of that you also don't need ~300 population of units for farming in 2.x which is a major plus.
Not sure if Skully or imposter.
It is me. <3

DeletedUser23986

I agree that the number of times you are be able to cut the times should be limited, but it is not nearly as much of a problem as you suggest. Cutting times a lot is very expensive and only very few people use it that much.
I have seen 200ls being built in 6hrs, or a cs being made in 5mins. You need to remember there are players who build wall from 0 to 20 in 1-2hrs. the same is for troops.

Another big plus to the 2.x farming is that it is much less time-consuming that the 1.26 farming once you get more than 5 cities. And you can still do the 8 hour farming in 2.x with 20 cities, while 1.26 style farming with 1.26 is a major pain to do.
On top of that you also don't need ~300
only for gold players. even if i play 8hrs a day, i am able to farm only when i have a captain

DeletedUser

I have seen 200ls being built in 6hrs, or a cs being made in 5mins. You need to remember there are players who build wall from 0 to 20 in 1-2hrs. the same is for troops.
I somehow doubt this because that would require a LOT of resources, so unless they shipped all their res from all their cities to the one city (in which case it would be reasonable that they can build this quickly, because it took them all of their resources) this isn't possible...

only for gold players. even if i play 8hrs a day, i am able to farm only when i have a captain
Even without the farm overview farming is a lot quicker if you do the 8h option two times a day.

DeletedUser

Captain costs 100 gold for 14 days, that could easily be covered by doing a survey once or twice a fortnight with the earn your gold coins option, so really the premium farming option (plus the other features which having the captain gives you) is open to everyone.. or most people, as I'm not sure what different options pop up on the earn page for people in each country lol

DeletedUser

My country only has 2 survey options and both dont work. The only other way you can get gold (the free way) is by Buyin stuff or downloading stuff both i which i do not want to do, because i dont want spyware on my PC. Of course this Ïsnt Inno's problem so they dont do anything about it :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.