Guide Battle strategy

DeletedUser

The lag factor

Well, I have very fast connection and normally experience that things happen instantly. So, if it's possible not to have lag, I'm quite certain I haven't. Would seem very strange to me if I did. If the hundreds of attacks I have launched in Phi, I have never had a result outside the +/- 13 seconds offset by the anti-timer. So, if I ever got +13 in any of those attacks, I didn't lag as this would have meant my attack arrives before whatever I'm timing it for (a CS, most likely). If you are saying that others can use the method I describe of sending on a specific second and recalling on another second without having to do it a second early, I might be mistaken, though. Unless they simply do the calculations differently, of course :)

Maybe it's the way it's calculated by my tool that leaves me with my assumption. The way I understand the calculation, is this: If I launch an attack at 11:00:00 and recall five seconds later at 11:00:05, then the army should take another five seconds to return, meaning it would return at 11:00:10. However, we don't know the programming behind this, whether the recall only starts the next second or whether the army only arrives back after those five seconds have passed.

I believe people who actually have lag will notice and account for this. You're right, of course, that they need to test it to know how it actually works for them. However, what I want to do it to make a general guideline. I will assume that half of the people playing Grepolis will be able to do so with less than a second of lag. Thus, the guidelines must take base in lagless conditions, where people who experience lag can adjust.

DeletedUser

This guide is absolutely amazing. Props to you for taking the time to write this.

One question:
When a city is under siege, is the morale calculated from the player that owns the city, or the player occupying the city?

For a hypothetical example...
If player A (100,000 pts) lands a CS in player B (10,000) points, when player C (100,000 pts) attacks the city in order to break the siege--is the morale Player A vs. Player C or...Player B vs. Player C?

DeletedUser

When you attack a besieged city you are attacking the occupier, not the owner of the city. Therefore morale should be calculated on the occupier's points. I say this without certainty since I've never played a conquest + morale world.

I can see a lot of 3-5K players getting new big friends who will help them get to researching conquest quickly. Then clear cities and provide support for them. Imagine the defensive battle points!

DeletedUser

This is rediculous... the abuse you have pointed out is in effect. I attacked an occupied city and suffered the morale of the owner :eek: (54%) when i should have been at 100% morale! :supermad:

NERF please! If they want more players to play this game they need to keep the low point majorities playing. This doesn't mean make it where big players don't want to help because they get hurt by morale...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

They fixed this apparantly, you now calculate the morale from the occupying player. Implements a good strategy aspect to breaking conquests! Fun!!!

DeletedUser

Something that is extremely important to keep in mind when timing attacks is the anti-timer that has been implemented in Grepolis. It keeps you from being able to precisely time your attacks, adding an element of luck. Every attack you send will suffer a random offset at its departure that can be anything from 0-30 seconds +/-, with the maximum offset varying between worlds.

Just to check, support does not suffer from the anti-timer does it?

DeletedUser

Guide updated

This guide was getting a bit out-dated due to changes in the game. I have felt a bit embarassed about this, and have been meaning to change it for a while, but never got around to doing it before now.

I have changed/added the following:

• You cannot recall all troops during a siege anymore. You have to leave one battle ship and one ground troop from the original conquest army).
  • Incorporation of fakes in normal attacks
  • Battle point is not distributed, so the playing starting a siege no longer gets all the battle points, but does still get a larger share.
  • Using decoys is also useful in normal attacks to draw spells and confuse the defender, affecting his decision or sending and timing support.
  • Sending attacks to arrive after the conquest attack can be a useful way to confuse the defender or kill of the defense in the city if your conquest fails. You attacks will never attack your own conquest, but will just "visit" the city and return back home.
  • It is sometimes worthwhile to make risky snipe timings when sending between your cities. You can do this by launching for an arrivla closer to the arrives of the conquest attack coming against you or by recalling and resending attacks or support to get a better timing. You run the risk of your troops not participating in the battle, but you can also gain an easy victory, killing off an incoming conquest attack without too much effort.
  • You should never include mythical units in the support you send for a siege as it is likely your support will never arrive at the city, since you can only support cities that have the same god as the mythical units.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser28875

This might be completely of topic,
But didn't there used to be a free online battle planner?
Well I know there was one, but what happened to it?

DeletedUser

Wait?

If you send attack waves AFTER the CS and the CS is successfull they don't collide?

Is it possible to do this:

Attack Wave 1
Attack Wave 2
CS
Attack Wave 3
Attack Wave 4
CS
Support

And the first CS would NOT be damaged if it got through the city?

DeletedUser

[*] Sending attacks to arrive after the conquest attack can be a useful way to confuse the defender or kill of the defense in the city if your conquest fails. You attacks will never attack your own conquest, but will just "visit" the city and return back home.

?????

DeletedUser

Wait?

If you send attack waves AFTER the CS and the CS is successfull they don't collide?

Is it possible to do this:

Attack Wave 1
Attack Wave 2
CS
Attack Wave 3
Attack Wave 4
CS
Support

And the first CS would NOT be damaged if it got through the city?

Correct...although...although don't go telling everybody ;)

DeletedUser

I read the first half of part 1 but it wasn't appealing to the eye and couldn't continue. However, from what I read so far it's solid information.