Best defensive unit?

DeletedUser

600/600/600 is the best IMO im thinking of making a pegasus city for defense so then if i get attacked just throw the pegasus' and the 600/600/600 swords/archers/hops into the one being attacked and viola no one should break through that for awhile....well hopefully

DeletedUser14358

If you check the simulator you will find that 600/600/600 is vulnerable to Horseman and Slingers, 600/200/500 in comparison looses similar numbers whether you send Slingers, Horseman or Hoplites, if you want to compare losses you have to increase those by about 50% to get similar defensive numbers as the 600/600/600 given that comparing 1100 defenders against 1800 isn't a fair comparison. I use a more accurate ratio than 6/2/5 but that is easier to remember and close enough to benefit most people who don't keep notes around.

DeletedUser

i use 600/600/150(chariots) more often. Chariots are better than Hops in the other defence points :)

DeletedUser

So far 600/600/600 works for me atm but that might be just me :D

DeletedUser2524

600/600/600 is weaker against the stronger attacking units, slinger and horse which is why I don't use it

DeletedUser

Ya i have to change it around abit so then :( i thought it would be better to use all 3 defense units rather than just 1 or 2 of them no?

DeletedUser

Isnt the Pegasus weak since it's attack potential is so low?
When you get attacked, your attack stats come into play as well as defense, correct?
In that case, if the Pegasus can only defend and not bite, it won't do as well long term as a unit that has more total defense+attack/population combined. Right?

DeletedUser2524

Hey wrongknight,

Attack stats do not affect your stats when defending, only when attacking. Most players build defensive cities and offensive cities. The pegasus would only defend, not attack.

DeletedUser

having equal population for swords/archers/hops(chariots) is not balanced, as charliedude said.

you need to take into account the defence values of the units in relation to the units which would be attacking them (slingers, horses and hops ignoring myths). because slingers have the highest attack per farm space and hops the lowest you need to have your defence weighted more in favour of distance (more swords) and less in favour of sharp (archers)

obv that only counts if you have no idea what you will be defending (hence the reason it is evenly balanced against the attacks of the best unit of each attack type). if you know that those units are only to defend a siege where the likely attackers will be only manticores then you'd need to get more archers in there or if your attacker is farming somebody with horses then get more chariots or hops in.

i actually agree with jarp though, biremes are best :p

EDIT:
the maths says that the ratios for a balanced defence are roughly as follows:

swords/archers/hops
.......49/18/45........ (~ roughly 10:2:9)

or

swords/archers/chariots
.......135/191/65........ (~ roughly 6:8:3)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Best defence, be a dude pretending to be a girl!

Other than that it all depends on what they are hitting you with!

DeletedUser10850

The problem is son.of.zues...

You can't do that pop wise unless you have lvl 40 farm, lvl 25 wall +tower, and thermal baths, and then decreased everything all other buildings to level 1...

That still wouldn't work because even if you also have plow added in with it you could have a total of 3500 pop. With the chariots taking up 4 pop space each, that takes 2k pop and if you have 500 pop worth of swords, archers, and hops, that would take up your remaining 1500 pop. To make this work, you would have to not have buildings (excluding the farm and warehouse) hence destroying the whole point of the strategy. Plus it's impossible to have no buildings that use pop because you start out with the senate and you can't completely demolish a building to 0 once you have built it to level 1. Last but not least, to even make your wishes come true (an even number of swords, archers, hops, and chariots - troop count not pop count) you have to build the senate, timber camp, silver mine, harbor (if you want them to be effective off your island), barracks, academy, city wall, temple (as you need it for the tower), and the tower. These are the buildings that makes the amount of free pop go down and are required to make the strategy work. But after it's all said and done, yes you would naturally demolish the buildings you don't need (but you would have to demolish the barracks last to maximize the amount of chariots you can make).

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Best defensive unit is obivous Bi as long as you have lots. troops don't matter when the enemies' troops can't even land. but over a huge mix is best like so

s6dd8ej5ctk69vr3jgdg9b0nmrc7o6b6.png

this is the lnd hits after the ls nukes, so very effective as you can see (bis)

DeletedUser

Depends

Well, the best defensive unit is most definitely pegasus, since you formed your question in a way that suggests you mean one on one with the most defense.

Now, for a defense you need balanced. Look at this guide:

http://forum.grepolis.net/showthread.php?t=5666

It explains everything you would ever even want to know about the units in grepolis warfare.

DeletedUser17043

I believe that for a balanced strong defence with normal troops,you need a mixture of chariots,swords and archers
reason=chariots have the best blunt (on a 1 pop. basis)
archers have best sharp defence (on a 1 pop. basis)
swords have best range defence (on a 1 pop. basis)

so after doing some calculations,for 1000 of each defence you need 34 swords,40 archers and 14 chariots
so times those numbers by a couple of times and you got yerself a decent defence
eg.
170 swords=5000+ range defence
200 archers=5000+ sharp defence
70 chars=5000+ blunt defence

meaning
170 swords+200 archers+70 chars=5000+ of each defence

obviously there will therefore be more added on to each defence since each unit has defence for all stats but I don't feel like doing those to be honest....
so in my opinion,
34 swords,40 archers and 14 chariots in a group*whatever number of times= a good defence

DeletedUser

fire, that is not a balanced defence because the attacking units don't all have the same attak strength.

slingers have a higher attack so you need more distance defence than you do blunt or sharp, and hops have a lower attack so you need less archers...

also, chariots have secondary defence against distance, and this actually makes them worse than hops for a combination defence even though they have a better blunt defence. the reason for this is because you have less swords and more archers with chariots to make up for their poor sharp, and swords are better defenders overall than archers.

DeletedUser8969

biremes. land units can only kill lands units. biremes can kill both. only flying creatures can bypass a bireme wall.