Beginner Changes

DeletedUser

I'm kinda fed up with the only activity in here being from someone requesting something. And so, I have a few suggestions. Not like they'll help/get implemented, but it's nice to rant sometimes.

First, change "Other" to "General", and place it first.
Other makes this forum sound like it is much less important than any of the other forums, while in reality most of the action happens here. And placing a General tab first will also help to show that it is, in reality, the most important tab here. Sorry requests, when you are "requesting" something it means the rest of us have a choice as to whether to even look at you.

Second, Merge requests and shops into one tab.
They kill each other, anyway. Suit the same purpose.

Third, entirely ditch the competitions tab.
They're already stickied in Other, it's a waste of space.

Fourth, get us a moderator.
Somebody, anybody. No one seems to stick around that long.
We take care of ourselves pretty well over here, but it would be nice to have that March Competition sorted out.

Fifth, feel free to place us last on the entire forum.
We don't mind being after the world forums. We'll understand. This is a gaming forum, and we're not your priority. Heck, I'm happy to have a forum and not be running all of this from OT. But I heard some people complain about GFX being up above the World forums and whatnot and whatchamacallit, so feel free to toss us to the end. It's not like we ever plan on leaving here, anyway.

Sixth, is it okay if we completely ignore the "images over 640x480 must be in a spoiler" rule (Or whatever it is (Sorry, haven't ever followed it myself.))? I understand why it's there, to prevent those with slow connections overloading their bandwidth, or something along those lines (I don't believe it would ever overload the server here, we're only redirecting a request to another site). But, if they're in a GFX section, those spoilers will be opened regardless of the image size, because the contents are worth it. I don't think it really makes a huge difference if the image is placed in a spoiler or not.

Seventh, can you remove the forced thread prefixes? Considering maybe Law and Dogu are the only potential regulars past Novice here, and I wouldn't call either of them Intermediate, the tags are fairly useless. Seriously, I hate tagging everything as Beginner, because I have no other realistic choice. Or, if you feel we need identifying tags, please, use a standard setup:
Beginner
Novice
Moderate
Intermediate
Semi-Professional
Professional

And, of course, each of those have a Low/Solid/High mark.

Well, I think that about sums up my rant/post. Now, it's 4 am here so I'm going to go back to trying to sleep.
Probably.

DeletedUser

I agree with what Benvolio said here except the Third thing...
Competitions don't exist to hold the Competitions there but more as an archive for past Competitions...
Personally,if I am to go into some forum I check the past competitions(if they are there) to see the level of the graphics that forum has...

PS.I doubt though those changes will ever make it to the upper dudes,they will think that they will look so.....unprofessional....

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Well the prefixes are slightly biased (Using Ben's set is good) therefore I'd consider myself and Skully Moderate, baseball Novice. Ben, Law and Dogu Semi-Professional.

DeletedUser12571

All the changes that were planned have yet to be implemented. The recent forum change was step 1, and feedback was received. There are more changes set to occur in the graphics section, we just haven't progressed that far as of yet.

The changes will become apparent once they're made. For now, in answer to your points:
1 - It will be discussed
2 - ^^
3 - It will be discussed although it would make sense to have current competitions stickied in the 'general' section, and then moved to here once they're over. This way people can easily view past competitions.
4 - Patience, we have an idea for this that we're waiting for the go ahead to implement.
5 - It will be discussed. I realise some people who use the forums solely for the gaming side have moaned a little.
6 - It will be discussed however the rule is there for a reason (I'm sure) which we may not be able to overrule (e.g. Signature sizes)
7 - This has already been discussed and we're planning on adding the option for no prefix, along with the others.

DeletedUser

Can you at least provide us with a changes-likely-to-happen thing,so we know in general what to expect or not expect?:)

DeletedUser5

Law, please stop being sarcastic. I can make changes regarding the layout of the forum, and management of the forum. Rule changes have to happen across the board as I've found out. I fought to change the rule, but got overruled by a lot more authority than I have.

Sarcasm will get you nothing.

I have read these changes, and as Equanimity mentioned, we will discuss these, and try to be as accommodating to them as we can. Hopefully we can please you with the changes.

DeletedUser

Law, please stop being sarcastic. I can make changes regarding the layout of the forum, and management of the forum. Rule changes have to happen across the board as I've found out. I fought to change the rule, but got overruled by a lot more authority than I have.

Sarcasm will get you nothing.

I have read these changes, and as Equanimity mentioned, we will discuss these, and try to be as accommodating to them as we can. Hopefully we can please you with the changes.

No m8 you got me wrong,I wasn't sarcastic in my previous post...
I literally meant if you could tell us what you are trying to change and implement...
Also I didn't say that you didn't fought over the signature size rule,I believe you did and I respect and thank you for that...

DeletedUser

So this isn't sarcastic?

Yeah that is sarcastic...:p
And you can't really blame me for that,however you see it "unprofessional" is a somewhat lame excuse...even you have to admit it...

I meant this wasn't sarcastic...
Can you at least provide us with a changes-likely-to-happen thing,so we know in general what to expect or not expect?:)

DeletedUser5

Yeah that is sarcastic...:p

I meant this wasn't sarcastic...

I knew that post wasn't sarcastic. What I'm saying is that you'll achieve more by not being sarcastic.

I've already made a move today on implementing some of the changes into this section, hopefully we'll be ready to implement some of them properly by tonight

DeletedUser

I knew that post wasn't sarcastic. What I'm saying is that you'll achieve more by not being sarcastic.

I've already made a move today on implementing some of the changes into this section, hopefully we'll be ready to implement some of them properly by tonight

Ok,cool...:)

DeletedUser

I agree with pretty much all of Ben's suggestions here and hopefully there will be some sort of change implemented in the future. The size increase was a good change but somehow it got taken down again and I'm quite disappointed by that. This is a gaming forum, sure, but in the GFX section there are plenty of enthusiastic artists including myself, who would agree that 120pxl height is too low for a decent tag. I understand the reasons for it but like law mentioned I don't see spoilers being too useful in this case. Because in the end you end up with a little "spoiler" sign in the signature section of users instead of an actual image and it just complicates things.

DeletedUser

Oh, and I had one other suggestion I forgot.

Can we move the "Rate the signature/avatar of the above" back to offtopic?
I know it is sorta GFX related, but it is completely useless as the guys who are actually serious (Gfx is srz bsns?) will stick to the CnC thread to get an actual review of the piece.
The thread ends up being spammed by guys who aren't really into the GFX, and is kinda distracting for me, tbh.

But, if the rest of the section wants it in here, I'm fine with that, I guess.

DeletedUser

I'm going to stop sulking now because I wasn't mentioned as a regular past novice... It puts me in the same boat as HiHipeople, and I don't like that.

@Equanimity,

How did my ideas go about us managing our selves. With some people taking care of the competitions, other the off topic/requests?

Good initiative Ben, I agree with all posts. And thinking about point 6, I'm fairly sure even the mods don't pay attention to this.

Point made.

DeletedUser

I'm going to stop sulking now because I wasn't mentioned as a regular past novice... It puts me in the same boat as HiHipeople, and I don't like that.

Not past novice =/= beginner.
And, it's just my opinion, but your works vary a lot in where I would place the,

DeletedUser

i agree with everything except for one thing, if you put the requests and the shops in the same tab then eventually the whole GFX tab would be destroyed.

DeletedUser

i agree with everything except for one thing, if you put the requests and the shops in the same tab then eventually the whole GFX tab would be destroyed.

Any particular reasons why it's going to be destroyed??