Defensive builds--But why

• Thread starter DeletedUser1405
  • Start date

DeletedUser1405

I want to put this out there for everyone to discuss. Most of us have a large offensive army and personally i dont see the point of wasting population on defensive troops, im online a lot and when attacked tend to dodge, before everyone gets on their high horse and says an attack may be missed, read on.

What im putting forward is that Hoppies and horses mixed with a few chariots are a great defence and can be used for offence as well.

Im not saying dont build Biremes to defend your polis they should always be built, im questioning the reasoning behind building masses of swords and archers when the population can be used better.

DeletedUser2795

you will eventually need to defend your city is someone tries to conquer it, or you might need to help defend another person in the case of a conquer, also, most importantly, how do you plan on defending a conquer that does not have any support troops?

DeletedUser

Even if you are never attacked, you probably know someone else that is. Also you won't be able to take villages from the enemy if you can't defend a conquest (conquest worlds only).

DeletedUser1405

If you read the post you would see im advocating using Horse,Hoppilite,Chariot as defensive units and they would be more than adequate to break/take out any conquest. I understand peoples reservations but following the fact that Swords and Archers have more than adequate replacements in Horse/Hoppilite/Chariot it makes sense to use these as they can also be used as offensive units and will allow more to be built because of the population saving.
Im not saying dont build defence just look at the type of units your using to do it.

DeletedUser1405

I have and i still think its worth it for the extra population you get, i do have a couple of defensive villages that i use to defend but i tend to move for the offensive side of things.
And before somebody questions my experience ive plenty around that can vouch for me. :)

DeletedUser2795

Mike, those units are not quite strong enough to defend against themselves :p

DeletedUser1405

Im putting forward a discussion bud, i just wanted to hear peoples views on it, ive been having long drawn out chats with people about the different forms of playing the game, im just bringing the same into here as ive missed the fun while ive been offline.

DeletedUser

As Priscilla stated, those units are useless against sharp attacks. There is not much more to discuss about. When you start having some cities, you can devote few of them to mostly build defensive units, to better help in case of sieges or support allies.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1405

When i start having cities, ok, sorry for trying to start a discussion.

Wheres all my friends gone ive not been gone for that long :)

DeletedUser

Mike, the Questions forum is the place the better new players look for information and advice. We can't allow that sort of advice to be the first thing they see without pointing out the downsides.

The Acropolis might be a better place for the type of discussion you are after.

DeletedUser1405

Im not having a go, its just in the past this was where people came to have discussions on the basics of the game, sorry if its in the wrong place but ive always thought this part of the forum helped iron out the strategies in the game and allowed the more experienced to discuss different tactics in the game.
Ive been away for a short while and so much seems to have changed.

DeletedUser

Every unit has a weakness. You start relying on these one or two units your enemies will see a trend and start preparing for it. If your in my ocean, and I see your using a single unit, im going to dedicate one village to that troop that will exploit your weakness.

I think this is a massive hole in your strategy. I do find the hop/chariot build very useful in cities where I might build a CS, as they can be used both in when the CS immediately lands to mop up any last-second militia or support, and to holds it own whilst more support arrives.

DeletedUser

Im not having a go, its just in the past this was where people came to have discussions on the basics of the game, sorry if its in the wrong place but ive always thought this part of the forum helped iron out the strategies in the game and allowed the more experienced to discuss different tactics in the game.
Ive been away for a short while and so much seems to have changed.

the forum is just a places where people spam and flame,for posts.
you have to look very well for a thread that is 100% to the rules.

DeletedUser1405

This is just one of many strategies that i have discussed in our groups, as i said the forums were getting repetative and there are no strategy threads so im pushing again for this.

DeletedUser

Now mike, the main thing for defensive troops is: Manticore defense.

CS's get destroyed by an attack of Manticores often. Manticores fly right over the navy and can easily destroy horses, chariots and hoplites.

Other than that, I think that you make a great point :)

DeletedUser1405

So a Manticore attack can take down a village that leans towards offence then, what would happen if we introduced say 100 sword and 100 archers into the defence.
Say then the village carried
500 Slingers
500 Hoppies
100 Horses
100 Sword
100 Archers
50 Chariots
Mixed village but the villages biase is to offence. Again this is for discussion im not using the simulator i just want some ideas on Strategies/Tactics in Attack/Defence.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

So a Manticore attack can take down a village that leans towards offence then, what would happen if we introduced say 100 sword and 100 archers into the defence.
500 Slingers
500 Hoppies
100 Horses
100 Sword
100 Archers
50 Chariots
Mixed village but the villages biase is to offence. Again this is for discussion im not using the simulator i just want some ideas on Strategies/Tactics in Attack/Defence.

That would most likely work... Against most waves of manticores :)

DeletedUser

Well slingers imo are almost useless. Now im still new to the grepolis scene, but i do know some things :) I think that if most people are smart, they won't attack a city with a small wave a manticores. I would think a large wave would be most effective... and this brings up the idea that despite losing a lot of Manticores... your getting a ton of BP's. I mean, 500 slingers at defense is just useless... its some free BP's... and hoplites are average. Just my thoughts.

DeletedUser2663

with defensive builds its about getting the higest defensive values for the least amount of farm space used. thats why people builds swords chars and archers as they have the higest defense value's. by doining this you alos minimise your loses.

Originally Posted by Mike62
500 Slingers
500 Hoppies
100 Horses
100 Sword
100 Archers
50 Chariots

with this you will win but with huge losses. bad way to defend cos the attacker will get alot of bp