Email Innogames

DeletedUser4013

Just make sure you present your arguments in a well reasoned way. Pointless rants that do nothing but shout and scream at Inno with baseless accusations will get you no where.

DeletedUser13405

Thanks Tyrion for that reminder. I decided to let myself chill on this for a bit. Here's what I sent today.

"Hello

I have been playing your game Grepolis since October 2010, well over a year. I play on World Beta under the name GothamSoldier. I really enjoy the game and have been having a lot of fun with it over the past several months. I also purchase premium to enhance the gaming experience.

I have recently been advised that the Grepolis game that I have come to enjoy so much will no longer exist. Version 1.26 will no longer be playable as all of the Version 1.26 worlds will be converted to 2.0 worlds. There was a poll undertaken recently of players to see if this change was wanted. I am writing you today for two primary reasons.

1- I believe this poll did not accurately reflect the sentiments of the playerbase.

2- A business should hear from its customer base if it does something to anger and alienate the customers.

Lets deal with 1 first. The poll itself was fundamentally flawed. The poll spoke only of the benefits of converting to version 2.0 and did not provide any comparison that would illustrate the differences that 1.26 players would face playing in a 2.0 world. The poll only discussed supposed benefits of 2.0 rather than any potential drawbacks. The misleading final question which asked you to reconsider your vote if you voted against converting to 2.0 would have disqualified the poll by any measure of polling methodology.

Secondly, while I can respect the concept of One Player, One Vote, in this case I think it paints a distorted picture of what your playerbase wants in this instance. A new player who signed up in World Beta the day before the poll was released would not have the same stake in the outcome of the world as a player who had 100+ cities and had played for almost two full years. Yet their votes were counted equally. Perhaps One City, One Vote would have yielded a more accurate measure of playerbase sentiment.

On to my second reason for writing in today, a business should hear from its customers if it does something to anger or alienate the customer.

This conversion from Version 1.26 to Version 2.0 is being described as an "upgrade." Many players do not feel that way. 2.0 worlds have been released for months and many players have tried them. Some have liked the 2.0 worlds, but many have not. However, there was always an option for longtime players to either play a 1.26 world (which is what originally attracted all of us to Grepolis), play a 2.0 world or play both. Now, longtime players who have only chosen to play 1.26 worlds (for whatever reason) will be forced to play a game they have actively chosen not to play (Grepolis 2.0) in order to continue their gaming experience with Grepolis. To me, that sounds like a recipe for a customer service problem. And sure enough, if you take the time to look in The Acropolis forum, you have 400-500 post threads about the poll and conversion from 1.26 to 2.0. The posts in the threads are running about 90% negative.

Now, I understand the external Acropolis forum is not a true representative sample as users choose to post on the forums but I believe it is not a leap to say that the Acropolis is reflective of player sentiment on a general basis. And sentiment is running about 90% negative. There is palatable anger that can be objectively read in the posts. Players have already deleted longtime accounts rather than play a game they did not sign up to play, of course that being 2.0.

If Innogames was my business, I would want to know that customers I have had for 1-2 years are suddenly leaving. And many more are very angry at a business decision I made.

The online community of players who will dedicate 1-2 years of their lives to playing a browser-based, take-over-the-world game when there plenty of other gaming options out there to play is necessarily limited. If Innogames was my business, and I had that type of market, I would certainly want to hear from them. Furthermore, players post in online forums. It would not be good public relations for folks to leave Grepolis in anger over this change, go to other online games and post about how shabbily they were treated by Innogames.

Consequently, I would ask that you re-evaluate the conversion from Version 1.26 to Version 2.0. Is it really necessary? Or can we leave the 1.26 worlds alone to continue their battles playing the original, classic version of Grepolis. If 2.0 becomes such a terrific game, eventually every player will migrate over on their own. Innogames will not have to force folks over and there will be no anger, only positive talk about the new game version.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this note. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
[My real name]"

DeletedUser

As I put in the note when adding to your rep, thank you for putting so well into words the thoughts and feelings of others, I hope I'm not alone here when I say that and can only hope that innogames does show that the customers voices are being heard.

I play on Beta as Wizlon and have been playing on Byzantium as En-Kur for a while now, I was playing on Corinth but quit in frustration a couple of days ago after nearly an hour of attempting to set one trade offer on the market, why didn't I just send a ticket and post as a bug on forum? Well to be honest I was tired and cranky and just so frustrated at the prospect of spending more of my playing time searching the forums to check if it was yet another known or posted bug. If it wasn't then sending in a ticket, posting on the forum checking alliance forum etc. Damnit enough of my personal gripes. My point, I guess, is that if innogames wants to keep the players that will continue to buy premium then they need to listen a lot more than they seem to be now. I and possibly many others would like the choice of whether we want to play on a 2.x or a 1.x world, if both exist then not only do we have that choice, but also new players that start in 2.x may bleed over into 1.x worlds and take premium money with them.

Enough, I need to farm...

DeletedUser15637

Thanks Tyrion for that reminder. I decided to let myself chill on this for a bit. Here's what I sent today.

"Hello

I have been playing your game Grepolis since October 2010, well over a year. I play on World Beta under the name GothamSoldier. I really enjoy the game and have been having a lot of fun with it over the past several months. I also purchase premium to enhance the gaming experience.

I have recently been advised that the Grepolis game that I have come to enjoy so much will no longer exist. Version 1.26 will no longer be playable as all of the Version 1.26 worlds will be converted to 2.0 worlds. There was a poll undertaken recently of players to see if this change was wanted. I am writing you today for two primary reasons.

1- I believe this poll did not accurately reflect the sentiments of the playerbase.

2- A business should hear from its customer base if it does something to anger and alienate the customers.

Lets deal with 1 first. The poll itself was fundamentally flawed. The poll spoke only of the benefits of converting to version 2.0 and did not provide any comparison that would illustrate the differences that 1.26 players would face playing in a 2.0 world. The poll only discussed supposed benefits of 2.0 rather than any potential drawbacks. The misleading final question which asked you to reconsider your vote if you voted against converting to 2.0 would have disqualified the poll by any measure of polling methodology.

Secondly, while I can respect the concept of One Player, One Vote, in this case I think it paints a distorted picture of what your playerbase wants in this instance. A new player who signed up in World Beta the day before the poll was released would not have the same stake in the outcome of the world as a player who had 100+ cities and had played for almost two full years. Yet their votes were counted equally. Perhaps One City, One Vote would have yielded a more accurate measure of playerbase sentiment.

On to my second reason for writing in today, a business should hear from its customers if it does something to anger or alienate the customer.

This conversion from Version 1.26 to Version 2.0 is being described as an "upgrade." Many players do not feel that way. 2.0 worlds have been released for months and many players have tried them. Some have liked the 2.0 worlds, but many have not. However, there was always an option for longtime players to either play a 1.26 world (which is what originally attracted all of us to Grepolis), play a 2.0 world or play both. Now, longtime players who have only chosen to play 1.26 worlds (for whatever reason) will be forced to play a game they have actively chosen not to play (Grepolis 2.0) in order to continue their gaming experience with Grepolis. To me, that sounds like a recipe for a customer service problem. And sure enough, if you take the time to look in The Acropolis forum, you have 400-500 post threads about the poll and conversion from 1.26 to 2.0. The posts in the threads are running about 90% negative.

Now, I understand the external Acropolis forum is not a true representative sample as users choose to post on the forums but I believe it is not a leap to say that the Acropolis is reflective of player sentiment on a general basis. And sentiment is running about 90% negative. There is palatable anger that can be objectively read in the posts. Players have already deleted longtime accounts rather than play a game they did not sign up to play, of course that being 2.0.

If Innogames was my business, I would want to know that customers I have had for 1-2 years are suddenly leaving. And many more are very angry at a business decision I made.

The online community of players who will dedicate 1-2 years of their lives to playing a browser-based, take-over-the-world game when there plenty of other gaming options out there to play is necessarily limited. If Innogames was my business, and I had that type of market, I would certainly want to hear from them. Furthermore, players post in online forums. It would not be good public relations for folks to leave Grepolis in anger over this change, go to other online games and post about how shabbily they were treated by Innogames.

Consequently, I would ask that you re-evaluate the conversion from Version 1.26 to Version 2.0. Is it really necessary? Or can we leave the 1.26 worlds alone to continue their battles playing the original, classic version of Grepolis. If 2.0 becomes such a terrific game, eventually every player will migrate over on their own. Innogames will not have to force folks over and there will be no anger, only positive talk about the new game version.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this note. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
[My real name]"

Excellently put man, first class.

DG

DeletedUser

see now thats a reasonable argument and well put forth info. Well done mate.

*yes I know its shocking I am actually patting someone on the back. But I also realize that a person thinking things through and putting forth some well constructed information is radically rare on the forums*

DeletedUser

I sent my email saying...

Player: margowicz

Hi I am happy to hear the update day is coming after so long in waiting for it it is about time you released it upon all servers thanks

Margowicz

DeletedUser13405

After not receiving a response to my email, I did some googling. I found the email addresses of the two founders of Innogames who also serve as co-CEOs. I also found the email of the new chairman of the board of directors. I have sent this email directly to them, byping the general inbox. Lets see where this goes. I will keep you all updated.

DeletedUser12512

After not receiving a response to my email, I did some googling. I found the email addresses of the two founders of Innogames who also serve as co-CEOs. I also found the email of the new chairman of the board of directors. I have sent this email directly to them, byping the general inbox. Lets see where this goes. I will keep you all updated.

New Chairman. Not surprised, I would appreciate the emails you have in a PM Gotham. I may just C&P your email, but it was worded well enough to be a template for others.

Well Said.

DeletedUser13405

I claim no copyright over the email. Let everyone use it and send it if they wish. The more Innogames hears from the players about this, the better it is.

DeletedUser

Whilst I can appreciate patiently making a case for this, I am also a bit confused as to the real need for it in the first place. I view it as being highly debatable that this browser game was ever of sufficient quality to merit the months upon months some have slaved away at it. Is Grepolis really worth it? What exactly is the biggest reason to keep playing this game after having conquered 5 cities? 10? 15? 25? Is it the people you meet? Is the role playing of a "war" and creating a "strategy" for it? Is it watching your Grepostats evolve over time?

There are so many incredibly well done games in many different genres; it's just shocking to me that some are so obsessed over this one as to attempt to peddle an email campaign to prevent changes. Move on to something more enjoyable, whether it be online-based, console-based, or computer-based. If you're going to spend money, at least spend it on one of the more fascinating works of art that so many games are. Grepolis? Seriously? As much as Farmville is mocked around here, this game is closer to being a glorified Farmville than much of anything else. SimCity? Hm. o_O

...and of course, I mean none of this out of disrespect or as a flame; I just genuinely believe that if you reset your account and spent some time away from this place, you'd really appreciate how odd your behaviour is. Truth be told, I wouldn't be surprised if InnoGames saw it in a similar light. They may well feel the months you've put into the game already are far more than they would have expected; and feel that for every "old school" player that leaves, a new one will come along, get bitten by the bug, and become addicted enough to waste money on all of this.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Whilst I can appreciate patiently making a case for this, I am also a bit confused as to the real need for it in the first place. I view it as being highly debatable that this browser game was ever of sufficient quality to merit the months upon months some have slaved away at it. Is Grepolis really worth it? What exactly is the biggest reason to keep playing this game after having conquered 5 cities? 10? 15? 25? Is it the people you meet? Is the role playing of a "war" and creating a "strategy" for it? Is it watching your Grepostats evolve over time?

There are so many incredibly well done games in many different genres; it's just shocking to me that some are so obsessed over this one as to attempt to peddle an email campaign to prevent changes. Move on to something more enjoyable, whether it be online-based, console-based, or computer-based. If you're going to spend money, at least spend it on one of the more fascinating works of art that so many games are. Grepolis? Seriously? As much as Farmville is mocked around here, this game is closer to being a glorified Farmville than much of anything else. SimCity? Hm. o_O

...and of course, I mean none of this out of disrespect or as a flame; I just genuinely believe that if you reset your account and spent some time away from this place, you'd really appreciate how odd your behaviour is. Truth be told, I wouldn't be surprised if InnoGames saw it in a similar light. They may well feel the months you've put into the game already are far more than they would have expected; and feel that for every "old school" player that leaves, a new one will come along, get bitten by the bug, and become addicted enough to waste money on all of this.

I would also tend to agree - this is just a game, designed for players under 80/100 towns, and made to ensure time wasted while smaller players play catchup. With 100+ towns, there are no auto-trade routes, no auto-farming, no auto-building, and you end up with micromanagement of an account on a game which was never designed for larger players and thus has a pointless objective 'to rule the world?' - something which can never be achieved by anyone.

The game has to end somehow, 2.0 indicates some form of ending, from the pointless feeding, rebuilding, limited culture points at higher levels, etc...but don't forget - this is just a pointless game

Lugosi

Strategos
2.0 doesn't actually end the game though.

Alliance gains control of World Wonders> Access to Hero World> Now still has to manage their original account if they want aswell as joining the hero world if they want. Basically you will have another responsibility - not less. Then most probably other alliances will gain access which will make it more and more like the world they already play on.

DeletedUser

yea it does, thru mass quits and some gaping mass holes ;)

DeletedUser19492

it´s not odd when you respect other people´s individuality. some people like playing soccer and get fustrated when their team loses. some people like painting and don´t like to screw up theis paintings or when some other comes to judge it. everyone have their hobby.

some people likes to pay this browser game, maybe they don´t like simcity or farmville or whatever, they ike this specific game Grepolis and anyone here has the right to defend what they think is right! thank goodness he enjoys this game to the point where he spend his money and time dedicating to it. it pleases him, he likes it, I like it, it´s not odd, we just don´t use the same shirt colour as you.

look outside your window you won´t see a single person who is exactly like you.

DeletedUser

Looks like your email didn't work afterall lol

2.0 doesn't actually end the game though.

Alliance gains control of World Wonders> Access to Hero World> Now still has to manage their original account if they want aswell as joining the hero world if they want. Basically you will have another responsibility - not less. Then most probably other alliances will gain access which will make it more and more like the world they already play on.

Only when the server falls below 1000 active users it is delete/finished if it stays at 1001 then inno will keep it going

DeletedUser13405

Nope...never even heard back from them. Nice to know they care about their customers!