Beginner First Sig Attempt- GIMP

DeletedUser

Don't get me wrong I think your doing a hell of a job. Your doing great! You are well on your way, no doubt about that. I think you have certainly reached the level where if you just read some basics of advertising design and two dimensional design then you could well be on your way. Here is a list of the things that you are doing very well at.

You are designing with depth and focal points. You are considering the foreground, mid-ground, and the background of the image in every design that you do. This is good.

As well, you are trying to add depth to your images. Learning about leading the eye and vanishing points would be good. Notice how in the Legion of Purity sig image you included a burst of light in the background with particle explosion. Good job. As you know it creates a feeling of greater depth in the image and further separates to the mind the foreground mid-ground and background.

Another great thing that you are doing is that you are using colors within your image to select from to create a full palate of colors to use from. Your trying to make your text a color that coordinates with the images you have chosen to use. Bravo, very good. Just have to remember to keep a level of legibility to the text. you should also try to use some different fonts. The kind of fonts that you are using do not make very defined headlines because they are bold, non serif fonts. The letters are very blocked and therefore difficult to read. I would recommend using a more elegant type of font for a headline choice.

Thanks for the compliments and advice, buddy. Do you have any fonts or text effect tutorials that you can suggest?

DeletedUser

Here is my next piece, it is not very good and the colors don't work very well, in my opinion. A bit rushed.

eaterofthedeadknight.png

DeletedUser

screenshot20110821at111.png

caineotd.png

eotdblackknight.png

getsomes.png

cetrainingcamp.png

Again, for my alliance peeps.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Sorry been away, yes I will post tomorrow a video about the programs that i use to do text effects and what you can do too.

DeletedUser

like the 5th hun-slayers training camp
where can I get greentunic's fractals?

DeletedUser

how do you get the face behind the guy on you sig oh and i going to get better than you!

DeletedUser

no probley not great job sigh u should make your own sig shop!

DeletedUser

how do you get the face behind the guy on you sig oh and i going to get better than you!

Haha, good luck, my friend. I had a headstart, I used photoshop at one point and got okay at it. :) I mean if you just take a look at a few tutorials on youtube and other sites you can get the basic idea better.

I learned most of my stuff from tuts and advice from other people.

And I will probably not make a sig shop yet, still gotta work on my stuff. :)

DeletedUser

The bottom text does not fit the picture...

Woah I just had deja vu...

Back on topic... text on picture almost never looks good, try and duplicate the text layers and set a gaussian blur so that it gives the text a glowy feel, in turn blending it into the picture.

DeletedUser

The bottom text does not fit the picture...

Woah I just had deja vu...

Back on topic... text on picture almost never looks good, try and duplicate the text layers and set a gaussian blur so that it gives the text a glowy feel, in turn blending it into the picture.

Thanks for the advice, buddy, I'll try it.

DeletedUser

Yeah, try and amp up the contrast just slightly on the text. :)

DeletedUser

girleotd.png

Duped the text, did a gaussian blur at 6.5 on the copy behind.

This works for the renders too but I skipped that for the girl.

I took a copy of the girl layer and smudged it into the whole picture for a nice effect.