Inactive Topic Foreign troop- Mobilisation tax

DeletedUser17088

Proposal:

A reduction in a cities resource production when foreign troops are stationed within.

Have you Checked the DNS and PSI lists in the Archives? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?

no, i haven't

Reason:

Stacking a city should have its drawbacks as well as its positives

Details:

Feeding your own Polis is sorted out by your farms, they provide enough food for the residing population, that makes sense.

But the reason we are restricted to population limits is because food only goes so far! therefore when foreign troops from your own/another player are stationed within your polis, the strain on food requires that your city sacrifices its Resources to pay for the extra residing population.

-Troops would be able to stay 23:59:59 hours free, no tax payed
-24 hours plus your city will start to struggle and the reduced resource penalty comes into play
- The more troops you have, the bigger the penalty
- It doesnt matter if it is your own troops stationed from another polis, or an ally stationing them there or an enemy.
-sending the units home reverts cities resource gain back to normal
-Tax only applies to the occupied city

Visual Aids:

a small text popup explaining why resource production is lower than normal

Balance:

Yes, it does bring balance to the game. player will have to tactically stack cities and be mindful of TT for other defense. finally there is a price to stacking a city.

dont want the troops there because they are an enemy trying to sap your res? kick em out then lol

Abuse Prevention:

its up to the defending player wether or not they pay the penalty for Long term support/garrison

Summary:

foreign troops need feeding, who is feeding them? its your city, you should.

DeletedUser22708

Interesting proposal Jack but I think there are a couple of downsides.
Some people like to hide their stuff in my cities, if this gets implemented, no more hiding stuff in other people's cities when there's an op going on you for example.
What about tripwires, will they also cause a reduction in res production.

Overall I do like it, something to use against turtles.

DeletedUser17088

I don't like the concept.

You are so deep and insightful, I am drowning.
Interesting proposal Jack but I think there are a couple of downsides.
Some people like to hide their stuff in my cities, if this gets implemented, no more hiding stuff in other people's cities when there's an op going on you for example.
What about tripwires, will they also cause a reduction in res production.

Overall I do like it, something to use against turtles.

1,2 hell 20 troops wouldn't reduce you by much, not even 1% lol

I didnt put numbers forward for a reason :D

there is a difference in having 10k LDU and 5k biremes in your city and having 50% reduced res income, than tiny numbers involved in trips

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser27128

I like the general concept. However I would like to suggest a few changes:

Upto 100 troops from another city won't affect the resource production. Also, stacking your own cities should not affect resource production either.

+rep for the idea

DeletedUser22708

Good point bond, if stacking your own cities won't be affected by the res reduction thingy then I like it. + rep Jack

DeletedUser50167

But HOW THEN IT GOES?!
The incomer who sends troops in your city still has HIS CITY'S FARM'S POPULATION taken by the army that he has sent to you.
So you wanna double-feed the army? Oh, hell noooo! No fatties in this game, please!

Let's assume the smart soldiers carry their food in monthly reserves/they are able to catch or hunt some food themselves/ they are enemy-eating cannibals/ they work in the owner's city's farm at free moments so the city would have enough food for them too.

No need to make the game more complicated as it is.

DeletedUser50167

they are enemy-eating cannibals
Oh, no need for cannibalism! Did you know harpies taste like chicken when cooked? :)
Well, unless soldiers capture them as sex slaves, lol... :D

Yeaaaauuuvvvv...:eek:

DeletedUser49358

I'm not a huge fan of the idea as it basically punishes a player for requesting help from their alliance and Grepolis is an alliance game though I can see the reasoning for having some sort of infraction for alliances dumping all their units to protect cities in hot zones. I agree though that the resource reduction shouldn't apply for a player having units from one of their own cities in another city punishing a player for trying to protect themselves for a long duration seems idiotic imo

DeletedUser36436

I quite like it, it adds a little realism to the game though, I think the time they can be stationed there should vary due to world speeds.
Speed 3: 24 hours
Speed 2: 48 hours
Speed 1: 72 hours
(or something like that)
I would also suggest, that if you have free farm space in the city the free population will subtract from the number of troops needed to get the mobilisation tax so, if you have 300 free pop, and 1000 troops stationed in the city, they would only have to pay for 700 troops.

DeletedUser49358

I would also suggest, that if you have free farm space in the city the free population will subtract from the number of troops needed to get the mobilisation tax so, if you have 300 free pop, and 1000 troops stationed in the city, they would only have to pay for 700 troops.

That's a nice idea, makes sense for basing reduced resource production on increased units in a city though I think you would also have to add in naval units for this as well.

DeletedUser17088

as an improvement

- no tax on your own troops stationed
-Once the 24 hours has been reached since the first foreign troop landed, there is no new additional timer. its simply 24 until the tax begins and the reduction continues until all foreign troops leave, the only change would be the % in reduction.

To address a point:

grepolis is indeed an alliance game, and there is no reason why your alliance cannot help you just as much as they did before.

-Stacking is about as lazy a tactic for defense as there could be
-you still have a whole dang day of defense for free, there aren't many CS attempts that last 24 hours
-You still have full access to your farming villages for resource
- Everyone who says its an unfair advantage is a fan of lazy tactics and relying on others
- this idea forces tactical defending and better teamwork
- I assumed everyone understood all defending forces where included (troops,navy, myth)

- WW would change massively, those who stack produce less resource for WW construction but have stronger hold on their Wonder island. those who play tactically within the 24 free tax limit can send more resource for WW construction but have higher risk of losing a city. thus prolonging the end game

- really, how common are stacked cities in the game? not very, but they are annoying

and finally its just an idea :D

DeletedUser49358

Grepolis isn't a game that people are online and playing for hours in the day (usually), especially when you consider a large amount of players are working adults so leaving long term support in cities can help with that especially when you have an alliance mate that is on the same island as enemy alliances and can be hit with CS attempt that has a travel time of only an hour or so.

I will admit that I do like the idea more after pointing out its use when WW era hits as it requires more cooperation from alliances then just getting all the cities on islands and stacking them with units to keep them safe. If this idea was changed to be enacted only when the WW era begins in a world then I would fully support the idea.

DeletedUser50167

Doesn't matter. If they stack one cities, then they leave the other empty. ;)
Also - who said the resource production in those WW islands matter?
Maybe they send in resources from ALL of their other islands.

DeletedUser

i like the idea, i would alter it slightly tho to affecting building production (EG -if you knock a wall down, it should take longer to rebuild, maybe cos all the pop are busy feeding the supporting troops etc) would help with over stacking but possibly lead to more Bri walls instead..the res issue is a valid one but really won't make a massive difference as res can be delivered if needed quickly

DeletedUser45380

I like this. This will force players to return troops after they are out of danger.
LTS will get a bit more tricky, but this could also help teamwork as the alliance will have to send resources (If they don't already).
Also what will happen if someone casts plague on the city? Will this effect stack like any other bonus?