Inactive Topic Grepoli Classic

• Thread starter Roaring Whisper
  • Start date

DeletedUser

Proposal:
Creating a seperate server (or several worlds) where Grepolis would be rolled back to Practically late, 2010- early 2011. PRE-V2.0.
Reason:
I am Roaring Whisper, an older player on Grepolis. I was one of the hundreds of core players (primarily forum users) that quit within a month of Grepolis 2.0 releasing. 2.0 brought on many changes that a large amount of players did not like, want, or approve of. E.G: farming village as we know it now and the new User Interface that is glitchy on slower connections (that has become so indicitive of InnoGames's recent games)
If you want more opposition to 2.0, simply do a forum search. There is far too many links for me to post here. And it is likely that if I even post 1/3 of the stuff I've heard said about it, I'd be banned.
I have been an InnoGames supporter since TribalWars was released on the .net server 8 years ago. I have followed them from the beginning and supported them with MY money, I do not like where they have headed nor do I like where they are heading now.
Details:
Rolling everything back to pre-V2.0 (V1.26 perhaps) That is farming villages requiring troops to use, and all being docile (more or less) in the beginning, the interface, Hades, and the other misc changes. As far as gold prices, I personally don't care. WITHOUT upgrading the server on future update preferences.
This would not effect other players who play current worlds (Those worlds would continue to update) Plus, the older interface used much less bandwidth so it would be much easier for InnoGames to implement, plus they already have the data.

Visual Aids:
Im kicking myself for not keeping my old screen shots, but in general the older interface had indepenent screens, not interior windows. This was slightly slower, but it didn't eat bandwidth like candy.

Balance/Abuse Prevention:
None? The only thing this would do is make a sort of older-professional server/world. Sorta like HP on TW, but hopefully a free version. Honestly, I would pay to play Grepolis Classic, I would not for any of InnoGames's current games (but I have).

DeletedUser

Well it is always interesting seeing another older player around these parts, despite forum activity gradually dwindling in the last year, but proposals like the above leave me indifferent and a bit cold as in my 2+ years of experience playing this game on and off under different usernames, and reading the externals where indeed people make numerous complaints particularly about 2.0 settings, you will find that people in general do this for any and all reasons, and it ends up mainly being opinion-based. I remember back in mid-2010 (around July or August) when morale became a new setting for grepolis, there were people who were not happy with the change and decided to quit because of one game setting being introduced on a handful of worlds at the time. Granted that I am no fan of morale, and I think it is an abusive system when the right circumstances come about, but I could never really relate to why people stamped their feet when they didn't get what they wanted and behaved. I would probably only leave if this game ceased being an actual war game, which even with the recent upgrade to 2.0 on all worlds wouldn't even come close to constituting. I can distinctly remember back in 2010 when word was out about 2.0 coming to grepolis, I could recall countless players quitting the game in anticipation because of delays with the implementation of the new system. I think you are gathering that the pendulum swings both ways here.

Yes, the new farming system is tedious, and often quite time-consuming, but so was the old 1.0 farming system which needlessly required the constant use of sacrificing farm space to build horsemen to get ideal farming ratios and to play competitively. When a player wanted to build a pure naval city, or land defense, they found that they had to either pick between an efficient one-purpose city, and being able to collect resources from villages. That was an annoying part of the old system, and some may like to argue that the new one is worse, it is only opinion and preference at the end of the day. I would rather save my farm space by conquering a village first, and having free access from then on instead of the old system. Keep in mind that many older players also complained about that system back in 2010 and 2011, especially when getting above a certain number of cities; they would cease farming altogether.

As for the interface, if you want something better, you can't get something from nothing, so the cost naturally has to increase, in this case it is the bandwidth you are referring to. If you want to play a browser game that doesn't have pixelated or simplistic graphics that seems to imitate video game titles from the 90s, obviously that is going to chew through more bandwidth. Yes, this interface is glitchy, but lets not pretend the old interface was devoid of problems, bugs, glitches, translation errors, login issues, and even being locked out of the system up to an hour or more at some intervals because of an update, or some other functional problem. You can find old threads and posts detailing stuff like this back in the 'glory days of 1.0.' The reason these issues occur, is because browser games run from the browser, not so much the computer you use, which means that naturally a faster connection would be needed. Even the old interface chewed considerably more out of your ISP than many other browser games that could get mentioned at the time. A rollback to these days is unlikely to happen, despite what some might not like about the new system. No need for screenshots here as I can remember the old interface well, and you can find examples of it on Google images if a new player is unfamiliar.

On the other hand, a version-specific world is something I wouldn't know if it could be possible. I doubt you could get several of these worlds, but maybe one is possible. We have had plenty of requests and even idea threads suggested before on this subject about going back to the old settings, but it has never come to fruition. I'm not exactly against this, but I don't see a major reason for implementing something that would take a substantial amount of work for a specific group of players who probably don't even play this game anymore.

DeletedUser18132

I wish this would happen, but the devs wouldn't even look at this.

DeletedUser

would take a substantial amount of work for a specific group of players who probably don't even play this game anymore.

This is one of the main reasons that this idea won't be implemented. Most of us older players are long gone, and the reactions of all the newbs going back to 1.26, would be the same as our reaction going to 2.0. It would be chaos, and Inno would recieve lots of unnecessary bad reputation. I think they did the right thing, carrying on with their ideas and not reverting to the older versions on request.

I personally preferred 1.26, but everything would cause mass confusion. For example, the wiki would have two definitions for most things... That in itself is a very major set-back. When you're looking for info on the wiki, you don't want to see "Yeah, this does that, but it also does this depending on the world". It would be madness.

DeletedUser

When you're looking for info on the wiki, you don't want to see "Yeah, this does that, but it also does this depending on the world". It would be madness.

They already have that problem with conquest/revolt.

DeletedUser20429

This is one of the main reasons that this idea won't be implemented. Most of us older players are long gone, and the reactions of all the newbs going back to 1.26, would be the same as our reaction going to 2.0. It would be chaos, and Inno would recieve lots of unnecessary bad reputation. I think they did the right thing, carrying on with their ideas and not reverting to the older versions on request.

I personally preferred 1.26, but everything would cause mass confusion. For example, the wiki would have two definitions for most things... That in itself is a very major set-back. When you're looking for info on the wiki, you don't want to see "Yeah, this does that, but it also does this depending on the world". It would be madness.

You could create an entirely separate wiki. It isn't that hard. Or better still just encorporate a section into this forum for this idea. So we have an "in-forum" wiki. It wouldn't be that hard to do. But there will be some things that you can't do that you could do in a proper wiki.

DeletedUser

This has already been suggested, several times.

Making another server with a different script would force the devs to employ twice the manpower to fix every bug that occurs in the Grepolis script.

The cost to IG would override the benefit of the implementation in their eyes and so with regret I have to state that it is very unlikely that this will be implemented.

DeletedUser26213

I'm not sure wether or not this qualifies as part of the DNS because it is a new world, but I am a newer player who never got to experience the "magic" of 1.26, so I think that many newer players would join this type of world if it were to be created to see what it's like. it would be like Hyberborea, many people would join to see what it's like.

Varun

Strategos
Well, I have been in 1.26, you see. Have been playing in Alpha since it launched. Though, I do love the old versions but as Kanga said it would be chaos. Also, I don't mind the 2.0 version. Its a welcoming change.

DeletedUser

In my eyes this is a DNS idea although I'm leaving it for phoenix to decide on. :)

We all know InnoGames won't be back-tracking though.

~ Lane

DeletedUser

If they were going to do that they are better off calling the software something else. Instead of bringing back Grepolis 1.26 they could bring it back as (eg) Legions 1.0 with a single account being transferrable between both software.
Whilst I believe that the rebranding could be effective to bring back some people that have no interest in playing 2.0 ... its a question of whether its financially worth the owners doing so. My guess is no otherwise they would have already.

DeletedUser

Well I never played the 1.0 version so perhaps I'm not best qualified to give the best advice/criticism etc, but from what I've read the old farming system sounds terrible to me. Constantly wasting troops to farm seems counter-productive seeing as you would have to replace the troops using up more resources.
Having said that, I would like to see grepolis revert back to just before the 2nd gen worlds came out, the worlds are getting ridiculously slow, there hasn't been a speed 3 conquest world since Sigma and speed 2 worlds are becoming more rare as well, which is very disappointing.

DeletedUser

Well I never played the 1.0 version so perhaps I'm not best qualified to give the best advice/criticism etc, but from what I've read the old farming system sounds terrible to me. Constantly wasting troops to farm seems counter-productive seeing as you would have to replace the troops using up more resources.
Having said that, I would like to see grepolis revert back to just before the 2nd gen worlds came out, the worlds are getting ridiculously slow, there hasn't been a speed 3 conquest world since Sigma and speed 2 worlds are becoming more rare as well, which is very disappointing.

You wouldn't lose troops, unless you lowered the mood of the village too far and they would start defending themselves. The chance of the villagers doing so was based on a percentage, which increased as the farm mood decreased. You would waste farm space having to build reasonable units to collect from each village, and to do it efficiently, you would have to send units to both strengthen a village to 100%, then another lot of units to collect resources or units.

DeletedUser

It was a hundred billion times better than the current system IMO, simply because if you didn't farm one day, you're not necessarily going to wake up tomorrow and be down a massive number in ranks, whereas the current system means pumping resources and staying up all night. The old farming system let us have a life, and limited those who have too much time on their hands.

DeletedUser

The old system allowed players to go in, get resources and log out. The new system you have to click on farms every 5 or 10 minutes to stay in competition with everyone else. The new system advantages players that play 18 hours a day (like I do when I play).
The old system meant that to get an advantage over your opponents you had to be smarter and you had to go attack your opponents more. Using the old system most of my resources came from attacking small players (as there was no morale back then). I would have a tab set up in my browser for each city that I farmed from and just go through my list of cities to hit.
The new system, you have to focus on farming villages as you dont have time to just go and farm other players.
I preferred the old system as you could just go relax knowing that you wouldnt loose resources ... you could always attack the next village later ... I use to attack each city every 12 hours to get their resources. I once took on a small alliance nearly single handedly (until they got a large alliance to help out). Oh the good times I had! :)