How many languages?

DeletedUser

Unlike the rest of you I know a bit of zulu

Tula Wena!

I'm not saying what it means, and I don't know how to spell it

DeletedUser

I speak English, German and Japanese.

Quite odd, but I hope to live in both places when I'm older. Say.... Working at Inno in Germany!

DeletedUser

I study German and Farsi at uni, but I have also studied Spanish and Russian and can understand a little of a few other languages (mainly those related to what I've studied like Dutch, French, Danish, Portuguese).

Saka, I totally agree about learning languages at school. They don't teach the language they teach how to pass an exam and so I always get annoyed when I come across people who say they can't learn languages based on how they did at school! But anyone who teaches themselves a language has my respect. Chinese has quite a difficult learning curve, but is ultimately satisfying to learn, so good luck!

DeletedUser

Xiéxie!
I've got a friend that is helping me learn it but really in just using bbc real chinese, a youtuber and the odd book. It's exceedingly fun compared to school french except the fact "I have one of the worst chinese accents in history" :p

I think it's the challenge that makes it fun, i'm learning pinyin (roman alphabet) first and if i'm lucky i'll get into a class and do proper scripture and learn how to write the symbols although that may be a long time away.

Your a very impressive linguist Set! One quick question, I think if you know German it is relativily easy to understand Dutch right? - I found that out on holiday.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I'm still in Secondary school and know exactly what you mean, I took German for a language but do a whole lot of extra learning out of school and I've been learning Japanese since I was 13 as a sort of hobby.

School doesn't teach you squat... Unless you're at a really good one.

DeletedUser

A little bit of everything. Spanish, German, French, Italian, Russian, Polish.

None of them to any decent standard, I'm just too lazy to perfect any of them :p

DeletedUser

Still in secondary but speak Dutch, English, Spanish, French, German.

DeletedUser

I know im going to sound like a complete idiot but whats secondary school :S

Wow, many multi-lingual people here :)

i feel like such a noob only knowing two languages x[

DeletedUser

Heehee. I forgot to mention I can utter a few gaelic phrases :p Tha mi ag iarraidh briosgaid!

Secondary school comes after primary school. The time period varies in different countries but in Scotland itis like this:-

Nursary school (optional) - 2 years, generally with children leaving sometime during the year they become 4.
Primary school - 7 years starting at age 4 and leaving around age 11/12. The system goes p1 to p7.
Secondary school - between 4 to 6 years but you must stay until you are 16. You can leave after standard grades (4th year), highers (5th year) or advanced highers/extra highers (6th year). The system goes s1 to s6. I am currently in s5 which is when the stress begins. :p

DeletedUser

I tried learning American but i just coudnt.......it wus to hard:(

right - speaken American ain't for just nobody. So Forget-about-it.... ya'all.

sigh i was waiting for someone to do that

If you're waiting for someone to say something stupid and pointless.... you've come to the right place.

DeletedUser

right - speaken American ain't for just nobody. So Forget-about-it.... ya'all.

If you're waiting for someone to say something stupid and pointless.... you've come to the right place.

Well technically american is a language.... you guys all spell "colour" wrong :p

making it a different language.

DeletedUser

American is a dialect of English. It's not a different language.

DeletedUser

American is a dialect of English. It's not a different language.

lol we know milinius :p Im just kidding.

rooster, i can speak telepathically.... See.. i just did >.>

You deserved what i said! Dont deny it!