how much defense troops to build for first city?

DeletedUser

hi i'm new to this game(from tribal wars) and started in phi(2.0) and i was wondering how much and which types of defense troops should i have before i start working on building up my offense army?(i couldn't find any good in-depth guides about how to build up your starting city when looking for guides in wiki and forums.)
aslo had another question...i'am thinking of getting athena when i build up my temple cause of the patron and the spy on incoming attacks skill but was wondering if you guys can give a estimate of how much favor can i get with only one city?

DeletedUser

Moved your thread to the Acropolis.

Your starting strategy will depend on many variations. Are you on an island with alot of inactive people? Are you competing with players with the same amount of points as you? Some people go straight for offense units (Hoplites, Horsemen, Slingers) and try to clear out the competition on the island and dominate it as soon as people get a chance to build up. Others will conserve a bit more and build defensive units (Hoplites, Swordsmen, Archers).

Your favour will build quite slowly in the beginning of the game and it will take quite some time to build favour up, so don't rely on it too heavily. I like using Zeus for the extra unit boost with Divine Sign (grants 1 chariot), but Hera is also a great starting Goddess because her powers are centered around buffing your resource production which can give you a nice advantage in the start. Harpies as a mythical units are pretty cool too.

DeletedUser

hi i'm new to this game(from tribal wars) and started in phi(2.0) and i was wondering how much and which types of defense troops should i have before i start working on building up my offense army?
i would say this depends mainly on how active you are and what conquer system is used in the world you play. if you are on line a lot then it's almost always best to head for offence asap as you can simply dodge attacks and enlist militia as your defence, but if you are only on for a few minutes at a time once or twice a day then you will probably want to build a reasonable defence. the size of the defence really depends on the size of your enemies armies (of course), but in the race to conquest something around 450 population will probably be enough to beat most attacks (maybe ~200 swords, ~70 archers and ~180 hoplites for a balanced defence)

the conquer system matters because in conquest you will need to build some defence in order to take your second city, whereas in revolt you may be able to ignore defence completely if you are much larger than all of your neighbours (i.e. you will be able to conquer before you are at risk of being conquered)

aslo had another question...i'am thinking of getting athena when i build up my temple cause of the patron and the spy on incoming attacks skill but was wondering if you guys can give a estimate of how much favor can i get with only one city?
favor gain is calculated by taking the square root of your temple level (with divine statue counting as 5 levels) and multiplying by world speed, so in a speed 1 world the maximum rate you can generate is about 5.5 per hour (compared to 16.4 in speed 3)
favor generation for god1 = [world speed] x sqrt[sum of levels of temples worshipping god1]

all the gods have their pros and cons, althuogh for your first city i might ignore the myth units and just choose a god based on what speels you think YOU will need most (although harpies are nice to farm cities on other islands if you do go for hera)

Last edited by a moderator: