How Should the Syrian Conflict be Resolved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

As most of you know, civil war has broken out in Syria. In my view, what makes this instance more threatening is the sheer scale - over 100,000 people have died and millions have fled to neighbouring countries, such as Jordan, where over 10% of the population are Syrian refugees. Not only this, but it has caused international friction, which some may suggest could start a new cold war... or worse.

Should other nations be taking control? Has peaceful settlement been overlooked, or has it been exhausted and failed? If other nations take a side, should they be backing a resented government or scattered bands of militia? What are the effects on nearby countries and is there possible exploitation, such as slavery? Will Assad regime supporters, like Russia, submit to others or will they fiercely defend their political allies, and will this cause war outside of Syria?

Here are a few sources, albeit there are a great many out there:

[Context] Syrian civil war - Wikipedia
Syria civil war: Friends of Syria agree to supply 'all the necessary material' to rebels fighting President Bashar al-Assad - The Independent
Russia Hits Back at U.S. Over Syria - The Wall Street Journal
Gulf-EU tell Iran to play a 'constructive role' in Syrian conflict - albawaba

Note: As per usual, all general forum rules and DnD-specific rules apply. Please respect the views of others and remain polite - you do not need to be rude if you are debating effectively.

Have fun,

Liam

DeletedUser

Truthfully, this war might spread with many small countries, and big countries helping both sides of Syria out.

DeletedUser

Let them solve it on their own. I'm quite sick of the US jumping in to support foreign wars. We need to focus on our own country before we can help other countries.

DeletedUser

Yeah, I think so...something about the Syrians using a Sarin Nerve gas.

DeletedUser

Actually no, The UK is helpng them out with medical services and communications....but not helping them militarily.

DeletedUser30636

I think the US should be more focused on getting out of debt than help Syria rebels kill their president

DeletedUser

No the Prime Minister wants to get involved, the EU does not.

DeletedUser

I don't think it will be resolved, each side will just keep grinding at each other, and killing one another. It might turn into a war where it's just the US and her allies supplying the rebels, and with Russia, Iran and the rest supplying the Government, with weapons and war machines. Alternatively each side could enter peace talks and then they might divide up the country. At least if the US supplies the rebels they'll know what is going to be used against them when it goes wrong. Like what happened in Afghanistan, when the Russians invaded it. US helped the Mujahideen, it worked great, they won, and Russia lost. Until, years later, the Mujahideen went bad, and the US was fighting them then.

DeletedUser

Well both sides have a substantial amount of help....but truthfully, who want to help both sides majorly? Each country should worry about themselves. There is no harm in this war...Syrian civilians are fleeing the country...only both sides of the civil war will remain.

DeletedUser

a 100,000 is no comparison to the millions who have fled. This is not our problem...it's the Syrians problem for killing the 100,000 people....but a vast majority fled did they not?

DeletedUser

It is our problem because if we leave it alone, the war will spread across the Middle East, and in the worst case, across the world, if we help it may backfire, and end up making it worse then when it was decided to help. That's why no-one wants to actually do anything major.

DeletedUser

^^No no......This is a civil war....so both sides have a limited amount of people....no one else is helping them with units, but with weapons. If this were to spread into other countries, I am very sure the countries helping them(nearest Syria) would stop helping them. Because this is the Syrians war. No country, not even the ones that are supplying the 2 sides, would let is expand globally. So that won't happen. So as of now...this is not our problem.

DeletedUser39847

Civil wars should be left to resolve themselves as if interventions by other countries are introduced those countries only help to get their own benefit in which side has more power....

A civil-war should be left alone. Look at history...EVERY country has had a civil war and as costly as they are the internal problems get resolved and the country is better for it. Harsh but true.

Status
Not open for further replies.