Inactive Topic Idea ~ Voting Rights

DeletedUser

Proposal - The current Forum has 20,000 members who represent a Global Community of 20,000,000 Online players. Of these 20,000 Forum members there are roughly 200 active regular Forum users.

These 200 members are like a democratic body representing the 20M players world-wide. We vote on ideas and generally have a major say on what get's passed and what get's sent back to the drawing board.

InnoGames is relying on us, for an influx of good ideas, which have a solid backing from the players of the game.

What worries me however, is some members' gung-ho attitude when it comes to a Forum issue called 'Vote Rigging'. This is essentially a way to destroy the representation of the Forum and essentially 'buy' votes from outside sources.

Details: This idea is meant at curbing the effect of 'Vote Rigging', which even Pushty, the main advocate of the legality of the loophole admits is:

It's morally flawed

I therefore suggest we place a restriction on who can vote on ideas.

Currently the line of thinking is:
-You must have be a member of the Forums for at least a week
-Every single idea vote is a public vote

I would also suggest an implementation of another restriction: To vote you have to accompany your vote with a short explanation of why you voted for which side.

This would clarify the whole system, and destroy the loophole that certain dark members of our society have exploited.

Reason

Why is Vote Rigging dangerous?

Personally I have 326 Skype contacts who are all affiliated to Grepolis, and play the game. Imagine the swing I could potentially have on votes which usually have around 50-60 players voting. By not closing this loophole we would find ourselves in a purely political society where each alliance leader has a major say, with votes becoming an asset bought, not earnt.

Every time 'Vote Rigging' occurs, the vote is skewed towards the side which bought the largest amount of votes. This isn't representative of anything, and frankly is morally flawed, and would create and extremely shifty political Forum which no-one wants to see happen. This is a big issue, which is affecting major votes significantly, and it needs to be killed.

Summary:
tl;dr? I apologize. An idea which curbs 'Vote rigging' and therefore makes voting more representative of the players by cutting out 'bought' votes.

*Please note, I am not accusing any specific member of this Forum of carrying out Vote rigging, as I have no evidence. Vote rigging is also not against Forum rules currently. I am also not inferring mod bias by targeting Pushty as Vote Rigging Advocate, I am merely fighting statements made by that individual which I find wrong and indefensible. I am a great supporter of the moderators of the Forum, and am greatly appreciative of the great job they do moderating the Forum. Although I may not always state it, I respect all of you absolutely, especially the Purples, and this is one of the fairest and more representative Forums I have ever posted in.

tl;dr, mods give me a hug.

DeletedUser

I am supportive of this. EDIT - just skimmed it, yeah, this could certainly restrict it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I am supportive of this, however, we need a reliable method of detecting it.

Having all idea votes as 'Public' is one method.

We can't really 'detect' it, but we can prevent it. The idea to prevent <1 week old accounts from voting is crucial for this, however the 1 post with 1 vote add-on would enhance the effect and almost fully cull this new trend.

DeletedUser12571

Question regarding:
You must have be a member of the Forums for at least a week

What if a person tells a member of their alliance about an idea that is up for vote on the forum. The member loves the idea so registers and wants to vote for it, but s/he cannot because of this rule. Why can't they have a say?

DeletedUser18132

This needs clarifying.
I would also suggest an implementation of another restriction: To vote you have to accompany your vote with a short explanation of why you voted for which side.
If someone already states a reason for voting for it, and you completely agree with him, could we quote him and just say "what he said"?

Just wondering.

DeletedUser

What if a person tells a member of their alliance about an idea that is up for vote on the forum. The member loves the idea so registers and wants to vote for it, but s/he cannot because of this rule. Why can't they have a say?

Weekly votes, will occur in the future. I apologize to that individual player, however the possible abuses outweighs the damages caused to innocent and good meaning players.

This needs clarifying.

If someone already states a reason for voting for it, and you completely agree with him, could we quote him and just say "what he said"?

Just wondering.

Yes, of course ;) Hahahaha, lazy bugger :p

DeletedUser18132

Yes, of course ;) Hahahaha, lazy bugger :p

LOL I would do that. :p

But that raises another question.
For example, Player A could ask right now Players 1-100 to join the forum. Then every time an idea pops up he doesn't like, he could just ask them to vote with him. He could state the reason and Players 1-100 could just vote on his side and quote him a hundred times. And that would be correct according to your idea.

DeletedUser

I agree with this 100%. In fact, I think that this could go further (haven't really thought how but..).

DeletedUser12571

-You must have be a member of the Forums for at least a week
-Every single idea vote is a public vote
I would also suggest an implementation of another restriction: To vote you have to accompany your vote with a short explanation of why you voted for which side
How would this stop someone who has been registered for over a week, blindly following instructions from someone trying to sabotage the vote?

DeletedUser19042

Not Equa,
But now probably newer members were "recruited on the forums" to vote. If you have to be a member for a week, then this will be much more restricted.

I'm in favour of this.

DeletedUser

For example, Player A could ask right now Players 1-100 to join the forum. Then every time an idea pops up he doesn't like, he could just ask them to vote with him. He could state the reason and Players 1-100 could just vote on his side and quote him a hundred times. And that would be correct according to your idea.

The current issue is that OPs call on voters in their hordes from their friendlist, only in controversial ideas such as the Senators idea have I seen voters pop up and commit 'Vote rigging'.

The OP doesn't know when their idea will come up for vote until it does, by which time the one week rule will have run it's course as conveniently voting goes on for a week.

If the exact scenario above occurred, and one player was influencing so many players, I would feel it would be above my powers and would have to fall to the Purples to deal with such a scenario.

How would this stop someone who has been registered for over a week, blindly following instructions from someone trying to sabotage the vote?

Such abuses will ever occur, however we can only fight to decrease the frequency of such scenarios arising.

DeletedUser18132

The current issue is that OPs call on voters in their hordes from their friendlist, only in controversial ideas such as the Senators idea have I seen voters pop up and commit 'Vote rigging'.

The OP doesn't know when their idea will come up for vote until it does, by which time the one week rule will have run it's course as conveniently voting goes on for a week.

If the exact scenario above occurred, and one player was influencing so many players, I would feel it would be above my powers and would have to fall to the Purples to deal with such a scenario.

Ok, then I support this fully. :)

DeletedUser

This may not be perfect, but it is better than nothing. Suggestion: change from been a member for a week to active for a week (if possible)

DeletedUser18132

I have a suggestion though. The person has two be active for at least two weeks AND has to have logged in at least once in the seven days before the voting thread was opened. That seems more foolproof.

DeletedUser

I have a suggestion though. The person has two be active for at least two weeks AND has to have logged in at least once in the seven days before the voting thread was opened. That seems more foolproof.

This is more stringent than my current recommendations, however I would support it.

Other opinions?

Active-logs in daily OR posts daily.

Every single day?

DeletedUser8396

This may not be perfect, but it is better than nothing. Suggestion: change from been a member for a week to active for a week (if possible)

Eh I dont like that. I come and go at sporadic moments. Not only that, let say Sjsharky has a family issue come up, and cant log in for a day...that nullifies his chance at the vote.

EDIT - I still dont like it, but the second scenario is moot after he clarified active.

DeletedUser

This is more stringent than my current recommendations, however I would support it.

Other opinions?

Every single day?
I changed it to once a week. More fair :/

Okay if you haven't been here for a month+ then my suggestion..

DeletedUser27700

Such abuses will ever occur, however we can only fight to decrease the frequency of such scenarios arising.

Try to be more careful in your wording, Wave.
If you have seen this happening, then show us the proof.

The idea is fine, I fully support the essence of it, but it doesn't seem to make sense yet.
There are issues that need to be worked on, and it is a slippery slope when you begin to limit who can vote on what.
Just because someone has not been on the forum as long as any of you, does not make their opinion any less valid.
People make their first posts in this section all the time, and it is something we should foster, not destroy. People come here because they care about the game and look for ways to improve it.