Inactive Topic Improvement: Lightning Bolt Spell

DeletedUser

Proposal
I'll admit, I'm not 100% sure what the Lightning Bolt spell does, having rarely used it before, however I believe it hits a random building and takes it down -1 level. My idea is to increase the cost of the spell and the effectiveness of it.

Reason
I believe no one uses the Bolt spell as it is currently, unless they cannot afford Earthquake from Posiedon. As stated previously, I hardly ever use it myself

Details
Basically, the spell cost goes up to 400-450 (dev's decision), but, the spell damages the building and removes up to 10 levels, with a random decision on how many levels it takes off. If it hits a core building (for example the Senate) is hit and has less levels than the spell actually would damage (For example: Senate, -8 levels, but it is only level 6), it would reduce it to level 1. If it is not a core building (for example the Barracks) then it destroys it completely.

I believe this would balance out the use of the Earthquake spell and the Bolt spell :)

Balance/Abuse Prevention
I can't personally see anything, although I am a child so my eyes on something like this cannot see what older players may be able to see.

DeletedUser5819

I am sorry, but I don't like this from either perspective.

I don't like high cost spells as I never have enough favor when I need it. I use my favor for other things to avoid losing it in the red.

I don't like the hard hit. I am not entirely sure which buildings would be core and which peripheral, and you don't mention a delay between casting on same city, but it seems that an alliance could take a biggish player down to rubble in just a few days, from any distance, giving the victim no comeback.

DeletedUser10962

So if an alliance mounted a bolting campagin in the space of a few mintues the player affected could have weeks of rebuilding to do? This is a terrible idea, people would do it early game oh no he might be able to cq me soon bolt them and you hit academy and it drops 10 levels it ruins that players server. Completely over the top.

DeletedUser33512

In my opinion we should campaign to get rid of bolt altogether. There are far better ways of showing enemies love.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser42857

Lightning Bolt is pointless, you only ever use it to wind another player up, the actual cost v result is pointless.

I would happily ditch Lightning Bolt.

On a related note, I wish earthquakes would do something about towers. :D

DeletedUser

I think the idea is good it just needs to be scaled down a lot. 10 levels is to much right now the spell is to expensive and it takes to long before you can re strike. If we halve the cool down period and make it only cost 150 favour it would be better.

DeletedUser27700

Its not a terrible idea, but in my opinion this is a bit much. If you start using the spell more often, you will note it is somewhat effective currently. Things like taking a cave from level 10 to level 9 can be very annoying to your enemy, not to mention academy or farms.
Your proposal would make the spell a tad overpowered, being able to completely destroy a building is a little much.
Have a look at your figures and try to find some middle ground, maybe have it be like the Earthquake spell where it hits a random building for anything from 1-3 levels of damage.

And to the rest of you, keep the demeaning comments to yourself, if you don't have anything to add to the idea, stay out of it. Seriously.

DeletedUser38224

I like the idea of being able to destroy cities, it's something that I miss from TW that we don't really have here, and it's one on the things that makes defending in this game so effective.

However, the idea in it's current form, like some other people have said, is too much.

DeletedUser

Well I'm open to any other ideas.

Maybe this after casting this particular spell, there is a 12 or 24 hour cool down period where you cannot spell any other offensive spells on the city? I guess this would make it fairer, what do we think there?

DeletedUser25660

How about:

"Darks clouds appear over a city; A lightning bolt strikes down a building and kills 1-3% of units in the city."

Basically, just an upgrade of the Lightning bolt; and I think the 400-450 favor cost you suggested is ok. Also, when lightning strikes a city, I suppose it is not far fetched that the lightning would also leave casualties, the more people in the city, the greater the casualties:

So say a fully built city is stacked with 20,000 units, then a bolt could damage the wall, and it will also lose 600 units (archers, swords, etc, stationed at the wall) - maximum.

DeletedUser

that could work actually or though the cooldown period would have to be longer.

DeletedUser

in eubea i helped rim a couple people, they now bolt me like clockwork, 2x a day every day, per person.
i can assure you that this spell is ALREADY effective in its use and that use tbh is annoying people, it's a cowardly tactic for no lifes, but a tactic nonetheless, as said before, lets just replace this mockery of a spell.

DeletedUser33512

in eubea i helped rim a couple people, they now bolt me like clockwork, 2x a day every day, per person.
i can assure you that this spell is ALREADY effective in its use and that use tbh is annoying people, it's a cowardly tactic for no lifes, but a tactic nonetheless, as said before, lets just replace this mockery of a spell.

Thank you Chalna.

DeletedUser

10 levels is completely ridiculous. I would however support 200 favor -2 random building, -5% units (land&Naval) and a 48 hour universal cooldown

DeletedUser42857

i support this proposal :D

DeletedUser

I think lightning bolt should be removed completely. There's absolutely no other point to it than to annoy people.

DeletedUser5819

Since when has annoying people not been relevant and useful in a wargame?