Is Corruption a Moral or Legal Issue?

DeletedUser50183

Wouldn't it take a moral government to create laws that would stifle corruption? And if it is in our nature to be corrupt and only want the best for ourselves, wouldn't this be impossible?

Even if it was possible for a "moral government to exist"
It would be necessary to start from the basis that a human group is able to access and utilize all knowledge in order to be able to consider and implement all of the possible laws necessary to completely stifle corruption.

Thus laws can help to limit the extent of corruption but they are incapable of rendering corruption completely impotent.

Consequently the question of whether or not corruption can be legally stopped is obviously impossible, and so as an alternative perhaps corruption could be combated via a combination of moral and legal codes. Though ultimately if corruption is merely human nature both would be hopelessly ineffective.

DeletedUser50183

But wouldn't this require the law to set a moral standard? Who are they to demand a set standard of morality, especially when the government establishing the standard may be corrupt?
I originally agreed with this, but once I thought about it I realized that we see many laws are already based on morals.

ex: Slavery was abolished for the moral benefit even though slavery actually helped the economy. So yes if the government can set a standard of morality in a circumstance such as slavery perhaps it would be correct for them to do the same here?

I personally believe that what we do is based on our own moral compass. We should do what we think is correct...sometimes(ex:The Jewish Holocaust was condoned by the government yet morally many people opposed it against the wishes of their government)

DeletedUser

I always worry when people have to use more than three words to discuss this topic. Corruption is wrong.

DeletedUser36436

Not really the question asked....

He is saying that it is a moral issue, which it is, as we put trust in the people who get corrupted and therefore are betrayed by them, which makes it a moral issue.

DeletedUser8396

He is saying that it is a moral issue, which it is, as we put trust in the people who get corrupted and therefore are betrayed by them, which makes it a moral issue.

Corruption by its very definition is wrong. The question is, however, should that wrong be handled legally or by other means.

DeletedUser49358

Though ultimately if corruption is merely human nature both would be hopelessly ineffective.

Answered your own question, issue becomes self interest within governments in fact its always been an issue. Typically throughout history the 'higher class' has always made up government bodies so when laws are presented that will cost them x amount of money or take away their ability to do something of course they oppose it even if it is morally unjust.

Example:
U.S. slavery and southern plantation owners
Ancient Greek land distribution laws
Roman Patrician/Pleb laws
ect...

DeletedUser50183

Right!

My point is now proven. muahahaha

I asked a rhetorical question to help prove my point;)