Is it wise to max city points?

DeletedUser

So here is the story

There is a small guy that is trying to bother me.

he turtles but he actually manages to take out 100 of my horseman because I was inactive. It was actually a week old conquered city.

I blamed myself because I didn't know he was on island until he attacked me...

Neverless I question myself if I really should farm him.

His city have no conquer value. I wonder if he actually have any farm value because even if I send a nuke to clear him, I just might hit militia after militia.

I might actually lose more than I would earn by farming him.

I had another case just like this. I left the guy alone, and eventually he got his army back.

So what's my conclusion?

Why do I need to max out my cities to build unneccessory things? I only need to build the city in what is neccessory. Maybe, maxing out the city will strengthen your army, but I doupt it will ever change the tide of the battle.

Plus, my cities will not have any conquer value. That means more safety is assured to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Personally, I think maxed out cities are pointless. Troops win wars, not points. More points per city means less population per city, which means less troops per city. Only certain things really need maxed out - warehouse, for example, cave, wall, farm.

Besides, when you're done getting all your buildings built up, your senate is no longer needed maxed out. I demolish it a few levels to free up population. I've even know some players to demolish it to a level 10 and below - not something I would do, in the event I were to come under attack and have my wall destroyed.

Just my thoughts, hope it helps!

DeletedUser

I'd still conquer a 13716 pnt city so you're definitely not save, cause demolishing is free.

I use the same setup for all my offensive land, offensive sea, defensive land and defesive sea cities, and my avergae is about 11700.

DeletedUser

I took maxed city a couple of days ago and atm i'm demolishing half of it. Who the hell needs 30 lvl market and library. I'm also going to downgrade the harbour or the barracks,when i chose what kind of city this will be. The senate will be downgraded aswell when i replace that bloody library with thermal baths.
In my terms of view i'll get additional free population which i can transform into att units.
Obviously the guy who previously owned that city didnt think like me ...

Richard

Strategos
I have specific city builds, all of which settle around 10500 points give or take. I will take a city which is 13716, and demolish it for purpose.

DeletedUser

there are some things that i'd demolish a bit, like senate for example, and depending on what kind of city it is you can have a lower level harbour or barracks, but specific high level buildings help you to rebuild faster so i'm all for that.

i'd much rather be able to send and rebuild two nukes of ~2.5k FS than one nuke of ~3.2k FS
although if you have enough cities it's nice to have 1 or 2 big nukes like that!

btw, i don't think it's ever necessary to have a maxed city at all! i like some extra population space as much as the next guy, just tryin to say that it's nice to balance it with rebuild time

DeletedUser13405

I average about 11,500 on my towns. I will never build a max city. If I conquer one, I will demolish.

The library post raises an interesting question however...when you demolish your library, do you lose the extra research that you used the 12 points on? If not, you'd have 132 points of research with only the L30 Academy. Interesting....

EDIT: Post 9 answered my question. Sorry to go OT.
http://forum.en.grepolis.com/showthread.php?t=7818&highlight=library

DeletedUser

Why even over 10k of points???

Just stay at 7k or 8k of points. Why not just build offensive city that have little conquer value?

Don't bother max the resource levels or senete. Don't even build a level 10 market.

if you are building a pure stinger nuke. Just leave the extra sliver in your cave.

DeletedUser

Just stay at 7k or 8k of points. Why not just build offensive city that have little conquer value?

Don't bother max the resource levels or senete. Don't even build a level 10 market.

if you are building a pure stinger nuke. Just leave the extra sliver in your cave.
an offensive city with 7k points will have a great nuke, but once you kill it off it'll take ages to rebuild it, so you need have loads of backup troops/cities for it to be effective in a war.

DeletedUser

I have an 11,000 point city with a slinger nuke of over 1700 slingers + relevant fast tranports... (have a few of these).

It all depends on WHAT you demolish... In said city i have the relevant things maxed + thermal baths and tower... and a few others. :)

DeletedUser

an offensive city with 7k points will have a great nuke, but once you kill it off it'll take ages to rebuild it, so you need have loads of backup troops/cities for it to be effective in a war.

Actually it doesn't.

Assume you have level 20 barrack and the neccessary resesearch. The only thing you need is resources.

Most of our resources came from farming itself. If you first use demand troops and try to get troops quickly. Then switch to offensive build. You will still get troops quickly. The only downside to this, is it takes an extremely active person.(because you would be first farming with slower units) and the nuke you get is mixed at the end.

Here is the thing, the more points you guys gave yourself. The more of target you become. This becomes really important if you are not the dominating force in the ocean.

DeletedUser

Actually it doesn't.

Assume you have level 20 barrack and the neccessary resesearch. The only thing you need is resources.

Most of our resources came from farming itself. If you first use demand troops and try to get troops quickly. Then switch to offensive build. You will still get troops quickly. The only downside to this, is it takes an extremely active person.(because you would be first farming with slower units) and the nuke you get is mixed at the end.

Here is the thing, the more points you guys gave yourself. The more of target you become. This becomes really important if you are not the dominating force in the ocean.
well don't forget the time required to build them

DeletedUser

13k city+plus screen-shots of bad academy builds(on your profile) will make you less of target to conquer...

DeletedUser

2 -SparkySte -1095984 -The Huns -80 -13700
(All 13k cities)

ABP
1 -SparkySte -The Huns -510345

So ya, he may be playing simcity,but don't mess with him.

It really depends on the player =/

DeletedUser

Eh, i personally like to have cities that are around 10k ish. Anything above usually has wasted pop. on worthless things so i just demolish. :p

DeletedUser

2 -SparkySte -1095984 -The Huns -80 -13700
(All 13k cities)

ABP
1 -SparkySte -The Huns -510345

So ya, he may be playing simcity,but don't mess with him.

It really depends on the player =/

Sparky's doing that for the 13,176 average city points

DeletedUser

I have a city at just under 5.5k pts, it's been specialized and has 2931 available pop space for units, so that could be 293 LS, 2k slinger nuke with 30 LS, 366 biremes or 2.3k land D. Where as a maxed city has around 2356 pop space available which is about 235 LS, 1.5-1.6k slinger nukes with 30 LS, 294 biremes or 1.8k land D, so that is a really big difference for only sacrificing the building you don't need.

I worked out not too long ago how to specialize a city to have 301 LS and still rebuild quickly. So imo you should always have specialized cities and never have maxed cities.

DeletedUser

agreed. i have 1 maxed city, which is a manti nuke city. and i use it so often i never had less than 250 FS

DeletedUser

When I have a full city I lower the senate to level 1! :eek: I know it is low but you get lots of troops you can build and in the beginning of a city I build it up to max to lower the time taken to build.