Discussion Lighthouse or Thermal Baths?

DeletedUser

Over the next few weeks I will be posting the odd discussion topic, I will give a scenario and then you are free to chip in and state what you would do and why then disuses it, the idea behind this is to give new players an insight to how others people would play.

So the first one….

Thermal Baths or Lighthouse.

Scenario: You are running an alliance, it owns an ocean let’s say 43, as a team do you deploy Thermal Baths throughout your alliance, or do you deploy Lighthouses? If you would have a combination please be detailed to what, why and where.

Other Info which may influence your answer.: World Speed 2, Unit Speed 1, No Morale, Conquest

Please post your thoughts, please be detailed and provided facts and figures where possible to back you’re your idea.

DeletedUser

Thermal Baths, every city, every world speed, every unit speed, regardless of conquest/revolt and Morale.

Reason? I turtle old redundant cities and only use a few at a time for attacking, depending on how much BP I need for a culture level. The lighthouse would be great for an offensive city, but since my cities change from offensive to defensive fairly soon, and then stay defensive for a long time, it's much more beneficial to get the extra population and keep them forever. :3

DeletedUser

i would generally go for the baths, but in conquest worlds a sneaky CS can sometimes be the only chance of taking a frontline city, so... if necessary (i.e. fighting against good and active players) i would have any city which i might send a CS from build a lighthouse and all other cities with baths.

this is a strategy i used in kappa (after some discussion with saintchill :p) and it definitely paid off - a 4hr CS travel meant a fail, a 3.5hr CS meant game on :cool:

Thermal Baths, every city, every world speed, every unit speed, regardless of conquest/revolt and Morale.

Reason? I turtle old redundant cities and only use a few at a time for attacking, depending on how much BP I need for a culture level. The lighthouse would be great for an offensive city, but since my cities change from offensive to defensive fairly soon, and then stay defensive for a long time, it's much more beneficial to get the extra population and keep them forever. :3
you realise that you can destroy a lighthouse and replace it with baths when you convert to defence, right?

DeletedUser

Thermal baths on every city apart from 2 or 3 Lighthouses on the Frontlines so as to sneak in a quick one :D

DeletedUser

Actually that's a pretty good idea for WWs.

Personally I've only ever built baths.

DeletedUser

After building the baths and divine statue/tower/nothing, I tend to knock down the senate so I would need to build that up again :p

DeletedUser

I tend to do the LH in my LS nuke cities and some of my land offensive cities since those are the ones that tend to send the colony ships... not early in my world life, then I would always do the thermal baths.... but I have grown and speed in attack and city takeover is becoming much more important...

DeletedUser18132

Well, I think baths will definitely help be better than lighthouse because even though you may go slower, you will have more troops. But sometimes with LS, speed is more important.

DeletedUser

Well, I think baths will definitely help be better than lighthouse because even though you may go slower, you will have more troops. But sometimes with LS, speed is more important.
i agree! maybe i would say that the CS speed can be crucial though instead of LS, but same general idea i think :)

DeletedUser13405

I use LH in most of my CS cities. When paired with Cartography, the CS can go 25% faster (yes, they stack) which also means it goes 25% farther. Speed kills in this game, when it comes to the CS. All other cities use TB.

DeletedUser

Lighthouse on ls cities far from major enemies, baths in the rest, except for possibly a few frontlines. Cartography is a much better thing to get.

DeletedUser

Although I generally use TB in my cities, in this case I would say LH for two reasons:
1) The unit speed on this world is 1, so you need all the speed increase you can get
2) Since your ocean is dominated by allies, you have to travel to another ocean for every attack, so unless you're content with only being able to attack once per day, shortened travel time is the way to go.

DeletedUser

this is an interesting one *thinks*
ok so if it was me i'd favor speed (lighthouse) for all light ship and land nuke cities - because yeah u have more chance of landing the cs the faster and more sneakily you could get it there, and same with breaking a siege, if u get all ur LS there quick u've more chance of being successful

land def cities i'd have thermal baths, basically because i'd only really use it for protecting the cs while im waiting to conquer sum1s city - and cs' are slow so they can just follow along timed to land just after, no rush

:p im going to be awkward about biremes and say i'd have half with lighthouses, evenly spread around the danger zones, in case quick sniping is needed
the other half thermal baths to stop longer range cs and also to guard our cs' during city takes (more biremes) and they dont have to be too speedy to follow a cs when cs' are dead slow anyway

DeletedUser31929

I pick Thermal Baths for 2 Cities then a Lighthouse for a city.