Looking for an experienced player to be my mentor.

DeletedUser

Hi there,

I am looking for someone ingame that I can send messages to concerning questions I have about the game. Unfortunately, I am an inexperienced player looking into this browser game for the first time, and I don't even understand half the acronyms, but not slacking I hope. Been attacking folks and apparently in a war, not that I mind, its what the game is about :) By receiving this help, I intend to use it to become a better alliance and hopefully provide a challenge to some of the top guilds when that day comes(hopefully, not for a while!). Learning and leading on the job sucks, but I don't really relish joining any of the nearby alliances as they don't attack anyone.

Snarky

DeletedUser

Or if an the experienced player thinks it more appropriate to join an alliance (not necessarily theirs), that is of course another option that I am not against.

I just realize that there are things I could be doing better, and its irritating to find them out the hard way.

DeletedUser17088

welcome to the game snarky, i hope someone takes you under their wing :)

joining an alliance is a very good way to learn the game, dont worry about being the be4st just trial and error it. the best way to learn in grepo is the hardest way i promise you

DeletedUser

Snarky,
Firstly welcome to the game, secondly if you have any questions concerning the game you can go ahead and send me a message, not only do I know the fundamentals, I know a lot of people in the game and a lot of alliances, you can say my paper gives my a lot of privileges, so next time your wondering about something go ahead and shot me a message.

DeletedUser

Thanks guys. Yeah, I am enjoying the game and perhaps there is something to finding things out the hard way. But it still sucks. heh. I will send you an ingame message Newsting. Thanks again.

DeletedUser

Believe me,
Learning the hard way is not the way to learn, and if you get the chance , read my paper you'll get the chance to see what learning the hard way looks like and how well it ends, I hear more and more stories about people and their unfortunate events that begin afterwards and are triggered like a chain reaction.

DeletedUser

Hello Snarky,

Welcome to grepolis and its forums :)
I will advice you to post any questions in Gameplay Questions of this forum,the advantage of doing this instead of messaging any particular person will be that here you will able to get different opinions and advice from another players.

Also consider joining a newly opened world hyperborea.

DeletedUser

i agree with hp that you should check out the Q&G forums, there are some good guides and most questions you will have would probably have been answered at least 30 times in there somewhere - make friends with the 'forum search' button at the top of the page ;)

p.s. don't listen to any advice these noobs give you :p

DeletedUser

I agree with Fist of the North Star, the best way to learn is trial and error. When I first started, I lost my first city within 2 weeks of beginner protection ending, and (touch wood lol) I haven't lost a city since. Alliance members are usually generous with their time and so if you join a reasonably good alliance the leader will answer all your questions I'm sure.

P.s I recommend not to join Hyperborea, you won't learn how to conquer a city there, and might pick up some bad habits like simming and point whoring.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

yes, I am devouring the guides, but I will give you an example of the first question that I had that is not in any guide.

I was "farming" the surrounding islands inactive players. It was a 3xx city. No movement on the points for a week. I looked at grepostats as the guides suggested. I sent 100 slingers and 20 horseman to farm it.

I got clobbered. The guy had 180 swordsmen. So my first question was, how common are these little city nukes? ? I had basically the three islands surrounding me on my kill list, but that set me back badly. The commonality of these cities has already been answered, but this is why I want a mentor, and gratefully, the community here does have folks that are more than willing to help.

Thanks again guys/gals.

DeletedUser

yes, I am devouring the guides, but I will give you an example of the first question that I had that is not in any guide.

I was "farming" the surrounding islands inactive players. It was a 3xx city. No movement on the points for a week. I looked at grepostats as the guides suggested. I sent 100 slingers and 20 horseman to farm it.

I got clobbered. The guy had 180 swordsmen. So my first question was, how common are these little city nukes? ? I had basically the three islands surrounding me on my kill list, but that set me back badly. The commonality of these cities has already been answered, but this is why I want a mentor, and gratefully, the community here does have folks that are more than willing to help.

Thanks again guys/gals.

that kind of thing can happen from time to time when another player on the island hides their troops in a small city. with morale and the DBP sharing system it's basically a win situation for the player doing the hiding, since the attacker will get horrible morale vs the tiny farm and all of the DBP will go straight to the original owner of the troops.

the bottom line is that an inactive 300-pointer won't have built those troops, but it's still not impossible for there to be troops in the city via support from other players.

you just never know, so you either need to spy prior to farming (expensive) or just play the odds and assume that the chances of running into substantial amounts of troops is low and worth the risk. unfortunately, the risk of farming small cities in morale worlds is significantly higher than in non-morale worlds.

Last edited by a moderator: