Maps & Caps

DeletedUser25249

More and more you notice Grepolis has gone wild in terms of how a map grows into shape, with a large portion of people always going s/e or n/e, map after map for a few generations now is always heavily populated.

Server capping, I seen a post from Tyrone Black recently that made me think, why do we have a limit on how many people are able to join a server, Im of the belief more the merrier.

I have some ideas on how to improve these settings, but would love to see some good feedback here first.:)

DeletedUser39031

More and more you notice Grepolis has gone wild in terms of how a map grows into shape, with a large portion of people always going s/e or n/e, map after map for a few generations now is always heavily populated.

Server capping, I seen a post from Tyrone Black recently that made me think, why do we have a limit on how many people are able to join a server, Im of the belief more the merrier.

I have some ideas on how to improve these settings, but would love to see some good feedback here first.:)
The cap is to stop lag and make the server much easier to maintain etc.

DeletedUser41523

The cap is to stop lag and make the server much easier to maintain etc.

The lag is bull there was no limit on Gamma and Theta and everyone admits that those were some of the best worlds. The cap is there to give an excuse to produce new worlds and get more instant money for gold. They're kinda like guest accounts.

DeletedUser

There were caps on both of those worlds.
It is both to do with lag, and also space obviously.

The caps are scaled depending on world speed and tbh, there really isn't an issue.
A world reaches its cap and a new world is released. Once the population of that first world has decreased, it is opened up for new players again.

Richard

Strategos
The lag is bull there was no limit on Gamma and Theta and everyone admits that those were some of the best worlds. The cap is there to give an excuse to produce new worlds and get more instant money for gold. They're kinda like guest accounts.
Completely untrue. The fact there wasn't a cap on Gamma et al is irrelevant. The server technology used in the current version is different to that which was used to host the game when it was first released. The game is also significantly larger, and the servers handle requests in entirely different ways to how they used to. The cap is in place to ensure that:

A) The map doesn't bug out like it did in Alpha
B) The game doesn't lag due to overload of requests

Cythera filled up in a week, and is the first speed 3 server we have raised the max user limit from 20000 to 30000. The result is, the server is struggling with the quantity of requests.

DeletedUser42407

Completely untrue. The fact there wasn't a cap on Gamma et al is irrelevant. The server technology used in the current version is different to that which as used to host the game when it was first released. The game is also significantly larger, and the servers handle requests in entirely different ways to how they used to. The cap is in place to ensure that:

A) The map doesn't bug out like it did in Alpha
B) The game doesn't lag due to overload of requests

Cythera filled up in a week, and is the first speed 3 server we have raised the max user limit from 20000 to 30000. The result is, the server is struggling with the quantity of requests.

All your fault you made the settings too good! :p Just kidding, I bet this one of the more popular worlds Grepolis has seen though.