Inactive Topic Naval Blockade

• Thread starter DeletedUser32373
  • Start date

DeletedUser32373

Proposal: Be able to attack people's cities with ships and blockade them, take resources from their cities at the same time.

Have you Checked the DNS and PSI lists in the Archives? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested? Yes I have checked the lists and didn't see any ideas that close to mine.

Reason: Blockades were very common in times of war, as strategical advantages and for resources. (Both negative and positive).

Details: You send an attack at an enemy city, specified as a blockade. You can choose from the main screen when you send an attack (just like revolt or breakthrough) you don't need to research it. So here is how it goes.

You send a blockade attack of 100 LS and defeat a bireme force of 75. Your LS stay put, and they slowly start bringing in resources. Each space of population you have there brings in 8 resources per hour, no matter biremes or LS. The resources you bring in are added to your total income in your city, and drain the resources from your opponent. You can only have 100 or so ships in the city, and it is a good idea to put in biremes instead of LS because if someone attacks your blockade then all your ships are destroyed and the person who is being blockaded gets an immediate refund and same production as before.

Visual Aids: Will add later

Balance: Maybe you can only blockade one city at a time? And there is a blockade overview in your harbor?

Abuse Prevention: You can only put 100 ships in the city and blockade one city at a time.

Summary: Just another feature that was common in these war times and I thought it would be cool for us to implement this.

DeletedUser18366

Overall, I think this is a good idea but opens up some areas for abuse/imbalance...maybe, I guess I post that more or less everywhere :p

It would be nice to use on ghosts, rather than having to send out attacks constantly. On other players however, it would end up being quite complicated on how you would stop the blockade. A player with one city and no alliance has no way to stop it whatsoever, and even if you do get an alliance member/other city to attack it, you could end up damaging your own ships. So it would be particularly annoying, like being put under siege all the time. On the other hand, I can see stacking a city with LS and mowing them all down for BP also becoming popular...

DeletedUser

This is a useless suggestion; the only thing it accomplish is that it gives attackers an unfair advantage over defenders as they can simply place their ships in the denfeder's city, receiving resources for doing nothing. Can you imagine the implication it will have for smaller or newer players?. This is just pure lazy; if you want resources then get it yourself by repeatedly clearing the defender's city. At least this way both the attacker and defender have a fair chance in this battle.

And anyway the naval system is fine the way it is, fairly balanced between attacking and defending. Why tamper with a fixed system?

DeletedUser42621

The blockade would have to be time effected(eg, it can last for max 45 minutes)

DeletedUser42857

But how in a real life situation would having 75 LS sitting in someones harbour bring you in resources.

Their city is on an island, the island is covered in farms. Your LS are just sitting them harbor doing pretty much nothing. How would you gain resources in real life from that situation?

The best the blockade would achieve if this were a RL situation is

1) Stopping the merchant entering their city
2) stopping trade from other islands getting to their city.
3) Stop trade from that city getting out to other islands
4) stopping their troops leaving the city to go to other islands
5) it could possibly stop them from building ships in their harbor.

And it would be easy just to head in and wipe out all the LS.

DeletedUser25249

I think this idea is a little bit silly, reason being in the era a blockade would most probably be a siege, which we already use