New World: Naming Options

DeletedUser17045

So ladies and gentlemen,

What do you all think of the recent survey that the Grepolis Team has sent us all, in a message, in game?

Here were the options:

orla1s.jpg

Do you like the possibilities? Why?
Do you dislike them? Why?
Do you think that they'll use the most voted for?

Let me give my two cents.

1. I like most of these possibilities. Some of them are a bit unknown to my vocabulary, however, most of them are decent or good.
2. I do not dislike them. Probably the most I dislike is: "Zakros". I've done my research and I've found out that Zakros means the following:

Zakros (Ζάκρος) is a site on the eastern coast of the island of Crete (in modern-day Greece) containing ruins from the Minoan civilization. The site is often known to archaeologists as Zakro or Kato Zakro. -Credit goes to Wikipedia.

Although the meaning sounds really interesting, the name, however, does not tickle my fancy :)

3. I think they might use these survey results as possibly guidelines, if not choose the most popular voted. I mean, they can't rely on these results 100% because:

- Players might totally disregard the survey.
- Might just choose random options.
- Conflict of Interest

As I said, I think they'll use these results as a guideline. If not, totally surprise us with a name that wasn't on the list ;) Sneaky InnoGames!

Overall, I have to commend the Grepolis Team and Innogames for actually giving us the chance to submit our various views. I know that other gaming companies do not do this and do not really give the players much of a say.

I would also like to see the Grepolis Team and Innogames actually create something such as a thread in the forum, or something that can control possible conflicts of interest and spammers etc, where people can submit their own ideas for names. Of course, I believe the theme would be Ancient Greece or something along the lines. And if this is going to happen, could someone please tell me? :)

-CheezeHead.

DeletedUser345

I chose the less well known names over than the common - Sparta, Athens rubbish imagine naming a world them *yuck*

I chose more on how nice the name sounded to be, so mainly things with lots of a,y,z,e,i,o,x (don't ask i have OCD).

I chose;

Angon
Byllis
Cythera
Delos (not sure might not have)
Eubea
Gythium
Helorus
Ialysos
Kos
Lapithos
Myonia
Naxos (not sure might not have)
Olympia
Paros (not sure might not have)
Rhypes (not sure might not have)
Sestos (not sure might not have)
Thebes (unfortunatly nothing better)
Zakros

DeletedUser17045

I chose the less well known names over than the common - Sparta, Athens rubbish imagine naming a world them *yuck*

I chose more on how nice the name sounded to be, so mainly things with lots of a,y,z,e,i,o,x (don't ask i have OCD).

I chose;

Angon
Byllis
Cythera
Delos (not sure might not have)
Eubea
Gythium
Helorus
Ialysos
Kos
Lapithos
Myonia
Naxos (not sure might not have)
Olympia
Paros (not sure might not have)
Rhypes (not sure might not have)
Sestos (not sure might not have)
Thebes (unfortunatly nothing better)
Zakros

I did the same thing. I didn't choose the names such as Troy and Corinth etc, I chose the lesser known names. :) Great minds think alike, no? ;)

And EW! You chose "Zakros" I TAKE MY EARLIER STATEMENT BACK! ;)

DeletedUser

i quite like them, not sure about some...

They do still have the following greek ones left however:
Tau
Upsilon
Phi
Chi
Psi
Omega

Then there are the 'special' characters:
Digamma
Heta
Qoppa
Stigma
San
Sampi

Which gives them another 12 worlds... That is actually quite a lot of worlds!

I think they did this too soon.

DeletedUser

ena
dio
tria
tessera
penta
hexa
hepta
octo
ennia
deka

etc... That would be my choice.

DeletedUser

I would also like to see the Grepolis Team and Innogames actually create something such as a thread in the forum, or something that can control possible conflicts of interest and spammers etc, where people can submit their own ideas for names. Of course, I believe the theme would be Ancient Greece or something along the lines. And if this is going to happen, could someone please tell me? :)

-CheezeHead.

First off, Thank you for creating this thread. We will review the results and then choose what we feel is in the interest of the community. As we have discussed the names and possibilities at length, we may not create a thread for players to suggest name possibilities. However completing the survey helps us narrow down the new 2.0 world names.

i quite like them, not sure about some...

They do still have the following greek ones left however:
Tau
Upsilon
Phi
Chi
Psi
Omega

Then there are the 'special' characters:
Digamma
Heta
Qoppa
Stigma
San
Sampi

Which gives them another 12 worlds... That is actually quite a lot of worlds!

I think they did this too soon.

12 worlds is actually not as much as you might think. Also we did not want to include the "special characters" as we found they where unfitting. We also felt the 2.0 version deserved a new name theme as well, as the game has been drastically improved.

DeletedUser17045

First off, Thank you for creating this thread. We will review the results and then choose what we feel is in the interest of the community. As we have discussed the names and possibilities at length, we may not create a thread for players to suggest name possibilities. However completing the survey helps us narrow down the new 2.0 world names.

Thank you too, Gordopolis, for at least giving the players, (those who actually bothered to fill out the survey correctly), the chance to actually submit some sort of contribution to the decision of the new worlds name and for commenting on my thread.

-CheezeHead.

DeletedUser

Indeed improved isn't the right word. Grepolis has been drastically changed. Don't get me wrong, I like 2.0. But it would be great to keep some of out 1.xx worlds too...

About the names, don't really liked the choices. I would have chosen Osl's options.

Baudin Toolan

Grepolis Team
I loved the choices, I'm a history major studying the time period when Athens and Sparta were in their golden days, so I knew like every city name. I'm with Achilles on the whole not choosing the obvious well known names. Like 1/10 people name their cities Sparta, Athens, etc. Having a server named after that seems a bit much. Plus the other names were cooler.

DeletedUser

I liked all the names that had a z - x - y - q in. I don't like the common names very much (Athens, Corinth) bt I ad to vote for Sparta :)

DeletedUser

I dont think the real problem that we should focus on is the names of the servers, but their settings.
I mean, i think, most of the ppl here dont care what the names will be. They care about the settings of the server and its release date.

DeletedUser345

Gordon will there still be 1.26 worlds released? Or will we have to suffer under 2.0?

DeletedUser

12 worlds is actually not as much as you might think. Also we did not want to include the "special characters" as we found they where unfitting. We also felt the 2.0 version deserved a new name theme as well, as the game has been drastically improved.

Well, it took 11 months for 12 world to be released (Alpha-Mu)... So, because the game has become more widely known etc, i would say that you have a good 8 or 9 months of worlds left...

Why were they unfitting out of interest?

Also, i agree that 2.0 needs a new theme, but i am not sure you've found it yet...