((Off Topic)) A Short Ode to one I knew.

DeletedUser

There comes many times throughout all our lives. When the inequities, intolerance, trespasses & bitterness are put aside for a common cause. Today it occurred again within my existence. I found that today, a shining light that has been illuminating a constant glow throughout my juvenility has been extinguished. On a day when I was set to enjoy the glorious exhilaration of the fifth birthday of my youngest daughter Ava (She's the Blond , blue eyed girl in my avatar ). I received word from my family in New Hampshire that our Aunt Barbara ( ALWAYS Aunt Barb to us kids ), had passed unexpectedly. Needless to say that being off from work, focusing on the event of my daughters birthday , and attempting a form of relaxation was interrupted coldly by this misfortune.

To perceive me, comes with trying to understand my very perception of life. I'm someone who can find humor or a joke in everything, including death. Humor is how I handle the catastrophes that plague the actuality in the world. It is not to say that I am not disheartened nor am I callous to the traumas that occur. But instead my method of perseverance is that through trying to make something unpropitious into something that can make myself or even others smile.

Aunt Barb, to know her is to know that though I was never that acquainted with my fathers side of kin. She , along with her sister ( my Grandmother ) , were the two female embodiment of prestige & warmth I knew in my time upon my 29 years in this world. Always quick to a laugh, a smile, a joke, an embrace , she and my Grandmother no matter what you have done , where you have been, or what you may have experienced. They made you feel as they say "right as rain". This year she would have been 83 years in age. I know her life was filled with happiness & more so the spreading of it. Aunt Barb though I haven't seen you in years... my heart never wandered nor forgot everything you taught. I pray that when we meet again, I can give you a fraction of that warmth and happiness you gave me back. So instead I leave you this..

Der Tod, das ist die kühle Nacht,
Das Leben ist der schwüle Tag.
Es dunkelt schon, mich schläfert,
Der Tag hat mich müd gemacht.

Über mein Bett erhebt sich ein Baum,
Drin singt die junge Nachtigall;
Sie singt von lauter Liebe -
Ich hör es sogar im Traum.

~ Der Tod, das ist : Heinrich Heine

"Our death is in the cool of night,
Our life is in the pool of day.
The darkness glows, I’m drowning,
Day’s tired me with light.

Over my head in leaves grown deep,
Sings the young nightingale.
It only sings of love there,
I hear it in my sleep."

DeletedUser

Not in this world, but I love the fact that you Dana took the time and wrote this out for everyone to honor your 'Aunt Barb' :). Its very touching.

DeletedUser

I'm sorry to hear that, Danagar. Humour is the best way to deal with grief, though.

On a side-note, you have a very nice writing style.

DeletedUser

Heh thanks all . I had a few "toasts" last night as well lol

DeletedUser20492

I am happy for you to have had such a wonderful person in your life, that provides you with so many happy memories!