Officials in Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser6156

With the rise in the amount of money gained in professional sport the errors and calls of officials can become more and more costly.
This especially apparent in sports like football and baseball where the officials have no replays or replay reviewing officials to help them make decisions and therefore often make mistakes which can be detrimental to a team/individual.
When the effectiveness of replays in sport is highlighted by their use in sports like tennis, rugby and cricket do you feel it is time that all sports had access to instant replays or would this ruin the traditional feel of the game?

DeletedUser

as long as the replays are used sensibly and don't slow the games down horribly i think it's a must!

sports like baseball can hardly be slowed down anyway, so why not use replays for tight or important calls? :p

DeletedUser5554

Instant replays don't matter so much as the training of the ref.

Take Green Bay vs Seattle in NFL American Football. Russel Wilson threw an interception which is where the other team catches the ball instead of his team. It was ruled a catch for his team and a touchdown which put Seattle ahead of Green Bay. Instant replay was all over but the training was so bad that it didn't make a difference.

DeletedUser

*cough* replacement refs *cough*
*cough* cheap commissioner's fault *cough*

DeletedUser

*cough* replacement refs *cough*
*cough* cheap commissioner's fault *cough*

This is true to some extent. Even if they are what you so blatantly said, it's no excuse. The refs should be able to see who has the football and who doesn't. That's basically what it came down to in the end and the referees where wrong.

DeletedUser

In the Premier League (top league in English football), there are generally not too many bad calls when it comes to things like corners vs goal kicks, it is the goal line technology that is needed!
In the lower leagues, the refs are appalling. They themselves are bad and having technology won't help that... Better training might!

However, the commentators have acces to video replays, the 4th official has access to video replays, EVERYONE has access to video replays except the person who needs them most... The refs.
For the smaller decisions, too bad i say. But when i ref is sending someone off or awarding a penalty, he needs to be damn well sure that what he is doing is right. I'd say a short delay in play is worth the right call being made.

DeletedUser18132

Yes, like the England goal in the last World Cup against Germany. It cleared crossed the line, the commentators and fourth official saw it was a goal, but the main ref said it wasn't.

I think that in most sports it is helpful to have video replays and booth reviews, but there is a line between occasionally needing video on tough decisions and stopping every 2 minutes to review something.

Status
Not open for further replies.