Discussion Price Changes on Grepolis

• Thread starter DeletedUser23649
  • Start date

DeletedUser23649

The announced price changes made it sound like we would be getting more gold for our money.

Well it's only the three higher packages that are USD $31.99 (+250), $80.99 (+500) and $119.99 (+2500) that give any bonus.
Players that can only afford the lower tier packages $7.99 and $15.99 see no extra bonus.
I'm sure most of the players that use gold fall into the latter category.

However, the cost to reduce construction time for buildings, troops and ships has been raised from 20 to 25 gold!
Even if you buy the $120 package you are still paying more.

Old pricing 22,500 gold for $120 - that gives you 1,125 reductions ( 22500/20=1125)
New pricing 25,000 gold for $120 - that gives you only 1000 reductions ( 25000/25=1000)
So it cost you 3125 more gold to get the same amount of reductions with the new pricing.
Remember - the "bonus" you got for buying the $120 package was an extra 2500 over the old pricing.
So you are 625 gold poorer buying their best package than you were before.

For the majority of us that won't get an extra bonus, the cost of the game just went up 25%.
(20 + 25% = 25)

How is this good for us? Sounds more like it's good for Grepo.
That's the last gold I buy - game getting too rich for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

this analysis makes a lot of assumptions, such as most players buying the cheaper packages (which i wouldn't know anything about, but personally i would assume that more players would buy the top packages actually) and players using all of their gold on time-cutting (which i do have some experience in, and i would say is hugely inaccurate).

now i haven't bothered crunching any numbers, but it seems to me as though this is how it's working:

- players who buy small amounts of gold and use this to speed times rather than on advisors will be losing out, receiving only 4 speedups per 100 gold instead of 5.
- players who buy small amounts of gold and use it on advisors neither lose nor gain anything directly. (but do gain indirectly: see after lolling face)
-players who buy large amounts of gold and use it mainly on advisors, with a few speedups will probably be somewhere around the same as before or will benefit from extra gold, depending on what % they use speedups.
- players who buy large amounts of gold and use it on speedups will lose out. this is exactly what the community has been asking for :D consistently speeding up production gives the players doing so a big advantage, making it more expensive decreases that advantage and evens out the playing field very slightly.

so just at a rough glance, i would assume that everybody EXCEPT players buying small amounts of gold to use as speedups will be benefitting. i dunno, maybe i'm wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser23649

"this is exactly what the community has been asking for" = players that can't afford or don't wish to use gold. I'm sure none of the gold users in the community asked to have the prices raised.
I think few players especially in today's economy have the free cash to spend on the top tier packages. Players that have families to support or students on limited incomes are probably the base players here.

Bottom line - it's the gold users that pay for the server, regardless of how the "community" feels about the benefits of using gold and the balance of the game.
Alienate the players that pay and it will ruin it for everyone.
Like I said, Innogames just lost a customer today.