Recent forum changes discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser5

There has been one rule change: Signatures can now be a maximum of 700px wide, and 200px tall. Or they can contain 4 lines of text.

GrepoFX is now a category, rather than a forum section, all subforums are now forum sections. "Other" forum section created to contain all threads that were previously found in the base forum section of GrepoFX.

Each world forum now has a "General Discussion" subforum. This thread pretty well sums up what they should be used for, as I outlined to my moderators yesterday: http://forum.en.grepolis.com/showthread.php?t=22456

"Ideas" forum now has an archive for older ideas.

"Meet the players" forum section created in "Grepolis". Here, you can create a thread so that other players can get to know more about you.

Private message inbox limit has been increased to 1000 messages.

World forums are now in reverse order, newest worlds can be found at the top of the list.

More categories have been added to Social Groups, so that they can be categorised correctly.

Please discuss the changes made to the forums here.

Which bits do you like? Why do you like them?

Which bits do you like? What are your reasons for this?

How could these changes be improved?

What other changes could you suggest for the forums?

I will read every response, and reply accordingly, but please keep your responses civilised.

Cheers,

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser2795

everything but the GrepoFX thing is great, because I personally never use those forums :p

DeletedUser

Why exactly were the forums reordered to place alpha last?

DeletedUser

because new members come into the forums and will have joined the new worlds, therefore it makes sense to put those worlds at the top of the forums

DeletedUser5

Why exactly were the forums reordered to place alpha last?

Our version of Grepolis is growing very quickly, and it does make sense to have the newer worlds at the top of the list. We are in the process of trying to attract more visitors to the forums, and the players who take a look will likely be newer players, as they might not be aware of the forums. They will be more easily able to find the forums relevant to their worlds.

This change does not in any way however, reflect priorities that we put on worlds, as others have tried to say.

DeletedUser

This change does not in any way however, reflect priorities that we put on worlds, as others have tried to say.

I disagree, this move reflects what has been wrong with browser games for a long time. You value your noobie players more than your established, long-standing players. It's a business decision you are making if you know it or not, and it's a bad business decision.

You continue to coddle new players in an attempt to woo them with a clear quantity-over-quality model. You continue to treat your older players, the ones more inclined to spend money on this game month-after-month, like the scum on the bottom of a pool. You are so focused on dangling shinny bits of tin-foil to attract new birds, that the war hawks who really put time and money into this game are forgotten once the money is paid.

Let the new people scroll past the long history of this game - let them scroll past the laundry list of battles, triumphs and failures that came before them. Let them see and enjoy that history - and let your old guard warriors stay on top. They who carved your way to prosperity and growth have been tossed on the ground to be trodden on and forgotten.

Don't mind the grumpy old warrior in the corner newbies. Ignore your war torn vets. Spend your shiny coins on the new gadgets - just don't expect to get over 100,000 miles in this plastic car........

DeletedUser4013

I disagree, this move reflects what has been wrong with browser games for a long time. You value your noobie players more than your established, long-standing players. It's a business decision you are making if you know it or not, and it's a bad business decision.

You continue to coddle new players in an attempt to woo them with a clear quantity-over-quality model. You continue to treat your older players, the ones more inclined to spend money on this game month-after-month, like the scum on the bottom of a pool. You are so focused on dangling shinny bits of tin-foil to attract new birds, that the war hawks who really put time and money into this game are forgotten once the money is paid.

Let the new people scroll past the long history of this game - let them scroll past the laundry list of battles, triumphs and failures that came before them. Let them see and enjoy that history - and let your old guard warriors stay on top. They who carved your way to prosperity and growth have been tossed on the ground to be trodden on and forgotten.

Don't mind the grumpy old warrior in the corner newbies. Ignore your war torn vets. Spend your shiny coins on the new gadgets - just don't expect to get over 100,000 miles in this plastic car........

And yet, you have only come onto these Forums a handful of times. Most of those times to belittle those new players you seem to think should have to appreciate all of the history that this game has. I hate to say it, but this game does not revolve around World Alpha, nor does it revolve around any player. New players deserve just as much chance at learning how to succeed at this game. Learn to accept change, and deal with it. It's the older players like yourself which has chased away so many of the new players from the Forums.

DeletedUser

Thank you for your response Alaric. I think you are reading far to much into the forum world display then there actually is. We do not play favourites at Innogames. I can appreciate your enthusiasm for the game, but us prioritizing the new worlds is simply not true. We simply decided to mix things up a bit and thought by displaying the new worlds first, players would realize that we are indeed growing in numbers. Our Veteran players are very important to us, and we do not plan on forgetting any of our supporters.

DeletedUser

And yet, you have only come onto these Forums a handful of times.

Actually, I'm a daily visitor; infrequent poster. Why? Because, again, there is no real moderation on the forums - newbies are not given a chance to learn - they get to run around and drag things off topic leading to the destruction of otherwise good pnp posts. It takes a grumpy old warrior to straighten 'em out.

Most of those times to belittle those new players you seem to think should have to appreciate all of the history that this game has.

They don't have to appreciate it, but they should be made to scroll past it.

I hate to say it, but this game does not revolve around World Alpha, nor does it revolve around any player. New players deserve just as much chance at learning how to succeed at this game.

I'm not sure I ever suggested the game revolves around World Alpha, nor that new players don't deserve a change to learn. I did suggest that the current business model of sacrificing service to older, established, players in favor of a model that tries to bring in new accounts in as fast as possible, is a flawed strategy - shared by more than just this game. The reordering of the forums is just a chip of ice from the berg that floats in the sea....

Learn to accept change, and deal with it. It's the older players like yourself which has chased away so many of the new players from the Forums.

The problem is, this isn't change. This is more of the same. This is more of the same futile, empty, useless changes that these browser games always go through. Shiny pieces of tinfoil.

Older players don't get a chance to teach, or lead. They are instead encouraged to move on. Start new in a new world - focus on those early stages of the game; which are - I'll admit - fun. That's what this strategy and these decisions encourage. And that's okay for a lot of people. Yet I think that there could be just a smidgen of understanding for those who enjoy the later stages of the game. It would seem to be a revenue source and a player base that would benefit the business, social, and gamesmanship aspects. Yet it's continually derided. I have come to accept this.

I don't post often; I'm not one to just spew for the sake of spewing. But I do think that the forums for these war games could be better - with good quality, fun, pnp flying in every direction - if the more experience players were given more understanding; more help by the moderators and the business. Yet time and time, and time again - I see decisions that ignore all that. Ignore the long-term game in favor of that bright burst of energy you get from the new-game-smell. That's the same old tired routine.....

Our Veteran players are very important to us, and we do not plan on forgetting any of our supporters.

It will be a refreshing day, Gordi, when a change log shows something - anything - that actually helps, or shows an understanding of, your veteran players. If you've delivered something, I sure missed it. Perhaps it was lost in the noise and clutter you keep throwing in front of us.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

It will be a refreshing day, Gordi, when a change log shows something - anything - that actually helps, or shows an understanding of, your veteran players. If you've delivered something, I sure missed it. Perhaps it was lost in the noise and clutter you keep throwing in front of us.

Please pm me and explain to me what you mean by "noise and clutter".

DeletedUser2795

@Alaric
Keep in mind the Inno is a business, if they see an opportunity, then they will probably take it. Now, whatever Inno itself does, and in the past there have been good updates, it is just the terrible ones that stand out more, the forums, as far as I can tell, are relatively isolated from Innogames. The reordering of the forums really shouldn't have invoked such a reaction. It is one thing to prefer to have old worlds at the top, but why should you want to make other people's experience's worse?
And even if you watch the forums every day, you aren't going to gain as much experience in the forums if you hardly ever post.

DeletedUser

I am posting here as the relevant thread in Gamma is locked.

I would urge others from other worlds to read the thread as the players have made very relevant points and have been treated with sarcastic, disrespectful and belligerency beyond belief!
Yogesh made some great points and a lot of other players agreed with his questioning and views - yet the mods have disregarded all comments made - in fact they have called the posts as flaming and non relevant!

Mods - in particular ac04- listen to your customers - we have all been playing for over 1 and 1/2 years - we have spent a lot of money that have paid your wages. we are entitled to our opinions and if you and other mods and innogames value your customers, then you should treat them with respect and listen and communicate back with genuine respect!

you are losing players in all worlds at a great rate just now from what I can see - and remember those that play in the old worlds are about 50% of the palyers at least that enter your new worlds - so we should be heard and treated with respect.

the players that have commented on the changes are very respected players - so you have a duty and an obligation to listen to them!

Personally I think ac owes a few players a sincere apology!

and for your information I dont like to scroll down and I dont use bookmark as innogames provided a link on the left hand side for me to reach the ex forums!

loyalty - does seem to be a dying aspect of life! shame!

DeletedUser

<2 cents>
I would just like a little honesty.

The forums, regardless of what ac says, MUST have been re-ordered in order to give priority to the new worlds. Take a look at the maps and you'll see that they are tiny compared to 1.26 worlds which implemented near the same time.

I fiddled around on sigma for a while to check out the interface and I saw players leaving in droves to the point where grepo was offering increasing rewards of resources simply for logging in on a daily basis.

They don't do that on the well-established 1.26 worlds. Why?

Because people like the interface. They've been playing for a long time, and I'm willing to bet that most of the money players dole out is already being spent on them. Why give away something to those already paying?

It would be nice if ac's boss would just log in and admit it. Of course that won't happen because she would then be admitting that they don't care about the premium players on the old worlds as much as they care about getting more money spent on the new worlds.

The other thing I'd like to comment on here (because the old thread is closed) are these comments from the mods about "flaming". I didn't see anything close to flaming on that thread - at least not before ac called people "pathetic" etc.

I think a few of those guys deserve an apology - something much better than the crappy one, half-heartedly offered on the other thread.

</2 cents>

DeletedUser

I appreciate your comments, but please try to say on topic.

The 1.26 worlds have not been updated for various reasons: link (pm me if you are still not clear about our game plan)
If someone has a complaint against a mod please pm me and I will investigate it as well.

:)

DeletedUser

I appreciate your comments, but please try to say on topic.

The 1.26 worlds have not been updated for various reasons: link (pm me if you are still not clear about our game plan)
If someone has a complaint against a mod please pm me and I will investigate it as well.

:)

Gordo,

It has been nearly a month since you posted the thread on changes to 1.26 worlds. I take exception to the use of the word "gameplan" since there is no maturity to this plan. There is no developed communication offering additional insight. Rather we have silence on the subject.

I recognize that you have no additional information and that you are continually handicapped by a product manager who has no capacity for effective communication.

Unfortunately, you are the public face of Innogames and so the scorn must go to you. I'd appreciate additional efforts spent at getting us an answer. If the answer is "no", then please just communicate so I may transfer to a different plan. Already, the 2.0 delay has caused me to lose a number of my best players who I sold on the idea of 2.0 world wonders.

sch01ar

DeletedUser

I suppose it wouldn't be possible to have an option to switch around the world order? For example, new worlds at the top as default, but an option to switch around.

I personally like most of the changes made, such as the meet the players section, but I am not a fan of switching the worlds around as I think it was unnecessary.

DeletedUser

Please discuss the changes made to the forums here.

Which bits do you like? Why do you like them?

Which bits do you like? What are your reasons for this?

How could these changes be improved?

What other changes could you suggest for the forums?

I will read every response, and reply accordingly, but please keep your responses civilised.

Cheers,

Adam

Adam,

Most of the changes have little impact upon me, but it is well-established that the reordered-forums were negatively viewed by me. I even received another warning on the thread I created in Alpha, though it took the mod some time to issue his directive.

I am not sure if these changes were presented to the forums for comment or not, but if they were then I am in the wrong for not contributing to the community by offering my criticism of this move.

I decided to play world 1 of Grepolis based upon my experience from TW, and knowing that world 1 would be a wonderful opportunity. I have never experienced a passion for joining a new world. I have spent a considerable amount of money affording me the premium features. I would prefer to have the forums ordered in a logical manner. A to Z, 1-10.

I recognize that it would mean new players have to scroll, and I am completely ok with that. I understand the reasons for reordering, and I see the point. I also see the value of bringing in new money to Innogames. You already have me hook line and sinker so why focus on keeping me happy right?

AC04, thanks for all you do here....I hope my comments were civil, and helpful.

sch01ar

DeletedUser

I hate to say it, but this game does not revolve around World Alpha, nor does it revolve around any player.

That is clearly apparent. First, the inactive towns were cleared so we could no longer farm those cities or take the larger ones. Then Alpha was closed to new members so these spots will not be filled again. So Alpha was left to rot.

New players deserve just as much chance at learning how to succeed at this game

I agree and honestly have no problems with newer players. I played on both Nu and Rho when they opened up(quit for rl issues) and was glad to help teach players the ins and outs of the game that I learned. However, how is putting the newer forums first helping them learn to succeed at this game more? I would think it would help them learn more to look at some of the older worlds forums and to ask questions on those forums where the far majority of the players are highly skilled. I think that reasoning is complete and utter BS

Learn to accept change, and deal with it

That is what we will hear when they finally close Alpha

I think you are reading far to much into the forum world display then there actually is.

I believe he is picking up on a trend that alot of older players are starting to pick up on.

DeletedUser2795

MAy I remind people that this is the way they order it on the Tribal Wars forums? And I don't think that we can deny that TW has been very successful :p.
But just a suggestion as a solution:
Perhaps if every 5 worlds or so were grouped into a single area, similar to TW's forums (they use every 10), so that you could hide worlds Zeta through Kappa, Lambda through Pi (well, 6 worlds here :p), and Rhow through Tau so that you could easily get at Alpha through Epsilon? That might make everyone's lives easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.