Scottish Independence

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser29066

Would Scotland benefit from gaining independence? No

Where would this leave the rest of the UK? With a cold breeze blowing up their kilts .. oh wait, it's the other way around.

Do the Scottish people even want independence .. dont know, but why would they? I don't see that they would really benefit from it. We'll let them have Willard.

should 16 year-olds get to vote in the matter? I hear Argentina is going to allow 16 year-olds to vote, but I think that's ill-advised. I think 18 is the minimum age that should be allowed for voting except in the Detroit area, where they should raise it to 40 (just kidding DL)

DeletedUser340

Would Scotland benefit from gaining independence? Yes, instead of getting dragged down alongside the UK, they can have their own seperate economy not subject to a financial meltdown in London. Not to mention their oil reserves, the Geneva agreement on natural resources would leave Scotland with 91% of their revenue. Also not mentioning the ever-increasing price of oil.
Where would this leave the rest of the UK? Wouldn't work out well for England, we would have to find somewhere to house our nuclear submarines.
Do the Scottish people even want independence and should 16 year-olds get to vote in the matter? I've spent years listening to how Scottish people hate us Brits, so I'd guess they do...

DeletedUser

Hassan, you would joke about me in the serious section :p

I don't see why they would want to. While we're on this topic, would it be acceptable to discuss the demand for independence in:

Upper Peninsula of Michigan wants to be its own state called Superior.
Quebec wants to be its own country

DeletedUser

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/mar/07/scotland-spending-data-independence

Would Scotland benefit from gaining independence? Where would this leave the rest of the UK? Do the Scottish people even want independence and should 16 year-olds get to vote in the matter?

Now I understand the reason why people say that the Guardian is mainly good for wrapping fish and chips.

I can't for the life of me see why Scotland would want to become an independent state. The reasons listed are wholly insignificant at best, and could be resolved without resorting to seceding from England. Letting kids vote on such a matter is always fun since a lot of young people these days have hate and nationalism poured into their very being.

Whether or not this would be popular is beyond me, but I hope not and for good reasons.

I suppose this wouldn't have a major effect on the rest of the UK, except give the Brits the impression the Scots are having a temper tantrum.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I think voting should be 18, but with an IQ limit too. As for Scotland, I have no idea whether they'd benefit much... If at all.

Aicy

Strategos
their oil reserves, the Geneva agreement on natural resources would leave Scotland with 91% of their revenue.

Only 91%? Any country losing 9% of their revenue is a MASSIVE blow to the economy.

At the rate that the Scottish economy is growing at the moment that would take about 15 years to recover from. (That is to get back to revenue they were at before independence.)

Also allowing 16 year olds to vote in it is pure idiocy, especially as it is only temporary for this vote because Alex Salmond knows that 16 and 17 year olds would vote favourably for independence which is what he wants. So it is clearly not because he thinks 16 and 17 year olds should be allowed to vote (because they won't be able to after voting on independence), but because he has an agenda and is manipulating the voters in order to achieve what he wants.

As far as the rest of the UK goes it's not really that much of an issue. Scotland only has a population of five million, England could make that back in less than two years in immigration if it really wanted to.

Oh and the last study I read showed that only 35% of Scottish people were for Independence, 49% were against it and the rest don't really care. So the Scottish people don't want it.

Last edited:

DeletedUser17088

I am scottish, but i am not important enough to decide my countries future because i live in England of course.

It wouldnt hurt the scottish as much as it would the english in my opinion. I just dont see why us scots would want to break away from hundreds of years of co-operation and intergration, from border control and the intergrated military it just seems like a right pain....

clever tactic using 16 year olds to vote, As a young 'un i passionately hated the English because i was raised that way. Of course as a mature person i realise how silly that view is. A 16 year old however may still have that passion to hate English.

whatever happens it will end with negative results

DeletedUser

They can take Britain's debts with them then...I can't remember but wasn't it Scottish banks which had to be bailed out which put us in massive debt? Also I agree with the fact that the 16 year old kids voting is stupid, they are all clearly going to vote anti Union

DeletedUser

I think that 18 is a fair limit. Like they said, "if you're old enough to fight then you're old enough to vote"

DeletedUser17088

They can take Britain's debts with them then...I can't remember but wasn't it Scottish banks which had to be bailed out which put us in massive debt? Also I agree with the fact that the 16 year old kids voting is stupid, they are all clearly going to vote anti Union

It's not as clear cut as that, just because the bank has a Scottish name does not mean the blame is Scotland's. much like the BP oil incident wouldn't you agree?

speaking of oil my good chap, Scotland has most of the oil that Britain produces as far as I know (and fishing rights). Anyway I am sure that financially Scotland would be ok but I don't agree with breaking the union.

Luckily I have the luxury of Scottish national blood and citizenship, if Scotland does go independent and the country thrives, I will simply move there, if its awful then I'm already in England :D

I care about the well being of my family more than the union

Aicy

Strategos
It's not as clear cut as that, just because the bank has a Scottish name does not mean the blame is Scotland's. much like the BP oil incident wouldn't you agree?

Well seeing that BP is having to pay billions upon billion of £'s to the American government in compensation now...

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Yeah more like paying back. BP didn't do jack. They asked the government agencies to help with the clean up. At least Exxon took care of their own mess. BP runs a terrible company that puts profits over safety. I know I worked in Texas City the most dangerous refinery in the US run by... BP. Well was, they just sold it.

Sorry, back on topic. Do it ^^

DeletedUser

I'm Scottish too, I actually live in scotland though and I'm 17. And no I'm not some testosterone filled braveheart lunatic that shouts freedom while blindly saying yes to independence.
I've looked into both sides of the argument I would like to think, and as far as I know the scottish economy would be fine if not better due to yes the large oil deposits and as mentioned large fishing reserves. However, Scotland has a very heavy welfare bill, Our education all the way till we finish University is free, prescriptions are free etc etc, this doesn't happen in the rest of the UK as far as I know, definitely not the free Uni's. So There's a good and bad point :)
About the 16 year olds voting, I think it's stupid. Well done to Alex Salmond for thinking it up and exploiting the patriotic blind voters but I think an IQ level for Voting should be implemented. As forceful as it sounds it's true, I know people in my college politics class that don't know who david cameron is, and can't tell the difference between Hitler and Mao Ze Dong... Maybe I'm a bit biased but people should know this, and if someone is voting on the independence of a country then the should know as much as possible instead of going hhherrrrr ddderrrrr FREEEDDDOOOOOMMMMM derp.
I'm still undecided about what I will vote, it's still 2 years away (It's actually on the 700th anniversary of "The Battle of Bannockburn" which again well done to Salmond) so a lot will be debated and argued over. Like things such as border control, UN membership, our currency. And actually FONTS, people are debating whether or not scottish people outwith scotland should be allowed to vote as obviously Salmond again tries to use celebrities such as Sean Connery to front his campaign, but funnily enough Sean Connery won't even be allowed to vote as it stands.
Just my opinion :p

DeletedUser32799

Neither Scotland or England would benefit but hell. You wanna go for it you go for it.

DeletedUser

I hope not! The Scottish accent is too amazing for us to seperate! :supermad:

DeletedUser12324

I really don't see how London is dragging Scotland down, i say good riddance and while the scots are at it you can have the midlands as well lol, the south is better off without deep fried mars bars.

As for the one bonus which is the oil, it will run out and what then?

DeletedUser17088

I really don't see how London is dragging Scotland down, i say good riddance and while the scots are at it you can have the midlands as well lol, the south is better off without deep fried mars bars.

As for the one bonus which is the oil, it will run out and what then?

It would run out with or without the union, and then what?

until then us scots still have the oil that the English won't etc

still, i think breaking the union would be rubbish

DeletedUser

It seems that the SNP are quite bitter for some reason, not sure why they would want independence really. Here in England I have to pay around £9000 for my university fee's. Yet they have to pay considerably less thanks to our government and their prescriptions are free to. I don't think they will get this benefit from their Scottish government as they will need the money.

About the voting cap at 16, absolutely not! What a ridiculous and manipulative idea. At the age of 16 I'm sure many of them will want independence without even looking into it. It's a sneaky trick to be honest.

It will cause so many complications along the border also, what will happen to those that don't want independence?

Also don't get me started on the military, I doubt they will see a large war, but there was a Russian sub seen around Edinburgh 4 - 5 months ago. The best navy they have around that area is Edinburgh pleasure cruiser. Good luck is all I say.

DeletedUser29066

The best navy they have around that area is Edinburgh pleasure cruiser.

Maybe they can raise the German Fleet from the bottom of Scapa Flow :p

Status
Not open for further replies.