Should Religious Holidays Only Be Celebrated By Religious People?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

So, Easter is coming up. The holiday traditionally about the resurrection of Jesus, that is now about rabbits and chocolate eggs in the minds of many.

This is a fairly self-explanatory debate... Is it important to remember the roots of these holidays? Is it important that they are celebrated in the way they were initially intended? Has it got to the point where they have crossed over from religion into tradition and culture?

Note: This is not a discussion on whether religion is real or not, please remain away from that topic.

Have fun. :p

DeletedUser

Easter hasn't been an exclusively religious holiday for quite some time now. I don't remember the passage from the bible in which the Easter bunny was hiding all the eggs. :p

Tradition != religious

This is true for almost every originally religious holiday that is now also celebrated in secular communities. The secular stole the basic principle, removed the religious babble and added some new stuff. I don't blame us, I'll take any excuse to get some days off :D

DeletedUser

How do you interpret 'Celebrated'?

Tomorrow is a bank holiday in The UK, Good Friday. Christians may celebrate the day because of the meaning the day has in their religion. Others may celebrate the day, because they get a long lie-in and an extra day off work.

DeletedUser

Well I would like to throw it out there that Xmas and Easter were both originally pagan holidays co opted by missionaries. Look it up. Easter bunny, eggs, Santa Claus, nowhere in any bible lol.

Although it may be noted that Easter has always been observed since the death of Christ intertwined with Passover many of the customs came from older pagan traditions.

In fact no one knows with any real certainty when Jesus was born (I for one believe he was real.) it also largely is based on the calendar that you use.

So my opinion is if you are offended by their umm "celebration" in one form or another throughout most of western civilization just pretend its what it originally was instead. Or if that's still offensive just sleep in, unless you have to work :D

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/movablefeasts1.html

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/jesus.asp

http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/Christmas_TheRealStory.htm

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/geneveith/2011/04/was-easter-originally-a-pagan-holiday/

DeletedUser25380

This discussion could turn into something really interesting to read, we have a truly unique international and multi-cultural community here with grepolis. Personally I would like people to tell how it is mostly celebrated in their country. Some countries are truly multi-religious and potentially have a lot of holidays, who gets to decide which days they can take off - i.e. the company, the employee, the government, they belonging to a religious affiliation, a fixed number of days per year to take when you wish, etc. ?

By the way, in some countries in Europe, not so long ago, it used to be the bells from Roma (assuming it was really Vatican city, but what we were saying was Roma) who were bringing and hiding the chocolates in the garden (or house), not the furry rabbits :)

In North America, everything has to be "politically correct" to a point that I personally consider exaggeration, for example one is not supposed to say the word "Christmas" any longer, you are supposed to say "Happy Holidays" to encompass a broader meaning... Is it important to change a word that is now part of every culture? And isn't that hypocritical to focus on words? It is irrelevant in other languages where the word for christmas is not related to the Christ.

How about Thanksgiving and its origins?
A lot of these celebrations nowadays have morphed into shopping celebrations :( as well as family celebrations, cultural traditions and some family traditions too.

And since this is a debate to express also personal opinions, I would say it's both important to remember where these holidays come from and to accept them as part of traditions. In a way, a culture is formed by the sum of its parts, over time these have made their way into our culture in their new form as well as in their original form.

DeletedUser

Well thanksgiving is interesting. From all I've heard it's supposed to be pilgrims (immigrants from England with buckles on their hats, practicing slightly unorthodox christianity that was frowned upon in their homeland) giving thanks more or less to the natives as well as god for providing them with food in their darkest hour.

Relations soon broke down between them.

While the story has been remembered in some form to this day, it has been more about being with family and giving thanks for another year for some time now. Of course now as family relations are breaking down in america it has morphed yet again into more of a celebration of turkey, football (American) and Black Friday discounts that send most people out into the night towards the nearest Walmart to purchase Chinese goods at discounted rates.

DeletedUser

Girls that want a white/ church wedding, yet they say they are not religious.

DeletedUser

All I'm going to say is that a moderate deal of holidays have religion involved. Easter, Christmas, etc. BUT the Easter bunny, Santa Claus were most likely, IMO, made up by non religious people. In a way, I find that a little cheap that non religious people barge in and get involved. But who cares really! As long as everyone gets something :D

DeletedUser

Well I would like to throw it out there that Xmas and Easter were both originally pagan holidays co opted by missionaries. Look it up. Easter bunny, eggs, Santa Claus, nowhere in any bible
I think somehow the West developed the three wise men into Santa which I think is the bet thing the West has done :p

DeletedUser345

All I'm going to say is that a moderate deal of holidays have religion involved. Easter, Christmas, etc. BUT the Easter bunny, Santa Claus were most likely, IMO, made up by non religious people. In a way, I find that a little cheap that non religious people barge in and get involved. But who cares really! As long as everyone gets something :D

Cheap for non-religious people to barge in and get involved? Tell that to the native African shamans in the 18th and 19th centuries... not to mention the fact that these religious holidays were originally pagan which where taken and used by the Church with the intention of allowing the smooth transition from pagan to Christian - very clever in my eyes.

I think somehow the West developed the three wise men into Santa which I think is the bet thing the West has done :p

I really don't... perhaps you should read something of the history of Christmas and Santa Claus first?

Last edited by a moderator:

Thrillology

Phrourach
I recognize Easter as the day Jesus' Resurrection, I never really had an Easter Bunny and eating chocolate. Like Christmas, they way you celebrate or recognize Easter would be based off of your family's tradition, religious or not. I'm Protestant (Baptist), so I don't know how the other Christians have celebrated Easter in the past.

DeletedUser

Cheap for non-religious people to barge in and get involved? Tell that to the native African shamans in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Going by your argument, you could have told the 'African shamans' long before the 18th century. At least a couple of centuries before!

As for your comment, 'Cheap for non-religious people to barge in and get involved'....When 'they' arrived in Africa they were not 'non-religious'. 'They were from a different religion trying to assert their 'religious' authority onto somebody else.

DeletedUser345

Going by your argument, you could have told the 'African shamans' long before the 18th century. At least a couple of centuries before!

When the Christians tried to convert them is irrelevant.

As for your comment, 'Cheap for non-religious people to barge in and get involved'....When 'they' arrived in Africa they were not 'non-religious'. 'They were from a different religion trying to assert their 'religious' authority onto somebody else.

There is no difference in whether they are religious or non-religious it is the same principle.

DeletedUser6029

I think that it is a case of "tradition" and "religion". The Bunny and Santa Clause are by no means religious. So the "holidays" have moved from a religious day for many to simply a holiday.

Example...Sadly, Labor day, Memorial Day, Veterans Day....those are non religious holidays, and yet, very few people if any still celebrate those holidays for what they are meant. Now many people have warped them into traditions that have absolutely NOTHING to do with the original concepts. So to say non religious people shouldn't celebrate holidays is rather like don't know...talking out your cornhole....Just my opinion.

Thrillology

Phrourach
I think that it is a case of "tradition" and "religion". The Bunny and Santa Clause are by no means religious. So the "holidays" have moved from a religious day for many to simply a holiday.

Example...Sadly, Labor day, Memorial Day, Veterans Day....those are non religious holidays, and yet, very few people if any still celebrate those holidays for what they are meant. Now many people have warped them into traditions that have absolutely NOTHING to do with the original concepts. So to say non religious people shouldn't celebrate holidays is rather like don't know...talking out your cornhole....Just my opinion.

Labor Day, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, are meant to be recognized rather than celebrated. When you say that a very few people "celebrate" those holidays, how would they celebrate them? Do you idolize people when you celebrate those days? I know for sure I don't celebrate those days, but I do give a strong recognition, even more recognition on Veteran's Day (though I always recognize active duty and veterans in a positive manner.

Atheists wouldn't know how to truly celebrate a religious holiday since religious holidays are celebrated or recognized based on someone's religion, traditions, and beliefs. There are Atheists who used to be religious (I know a few) and they used to celebrate holidays according to their tradition, beliefs, or how their religion demands that it be celebrated (such as Catholics or Jews and how they celebrate in December), now they don't anymore but instead just recognize those as days where "Gifts for me!!! Gifts for my [spoiled] children!!! ME!!! ALL MEEEEEE!!! :D".

So I really don't think Atheists and the non-religous could even celebrate rather than recognize or just simply waive the day.

DeletedUser6029

Labor Day, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, are meant to be recognized rather than celebrated. When you say that a very few people "celebrate" those holidays, how would they celebrate them? Do you idolize people when you celebrate those days? I know for sure I don't celebrate those days, but I do give a strong recognition, even more recognition on Veteran's Day (though I always recognize active duty and veterans in a positive manner.

Atheists wouldn't know how to truly celebrate a religious holiday since religious holidays are celebrated or recognized based on someone's religion, traditions, and beliefs. There are Atheists who used to be religious (I know a few) and they used to celebrate holidays according to their tradition, beliefs, or how their religion demands that it be celebrated (such as Catholics or Jews and how they celebrate in December), now they don't anymore but instead just recognize those as days where "Gifts for me!!! Gifts for my [spoiled] children!!! ME!!! ALL MEEEEEE!!! :D".

So I really don't think Atheists and the non-religous could even celebrate rather than recognize or just simply waive the day.
I totally disagree. I see nothing Religious about the Easter Bunny, Santa Clause, or a Jack-O-Lantern. Just saying. I think those three holidays alone make your argument null and void. I don't think it is the holiday, or rather the religion of the holiday as much as it is the spirit of the holiday. A great example would be Christmas, it should be and is by both, a season of giving. Be it in tangible goods or in time.

As to my points about veterans day and memorial day for example. Those holidays began EXACTLY how Christmas and Easter were meant to be. A day of recognition. A day of remembrance and pondering. It was the pagans and the not "christian" entities that brought about the Santas and the Bunnies. More to the point, in the case of Santa Clause, it was Coca Cola. Veterans day and Memorial day are meant to be remembrance days. Days to ponder the price paid. Now and days, most people have BBQ's. I rarely see anyone honor those who sacrificed in the name of those days.

Either way, your argument is just meh.

DeletedUser25380

I was hoping someone would bring to the debate an example of a country that is multi-traditions (religions, ethnicities, historical events etc.), for example here is an article about holidays about India. I don't have any personal experience on how they handle it, however I am intrigued by the additional level of complexity. How do you know when public offices are open, or banks, etc.? How do you ensure service to your customers? How do you respect everyone's belief and traditions? When should schools be closed? etc. I think some countries are truly faced with these questions and it would be interesting to hear a point of view expressed from someone experiencing it.

As was said in other posts, a number of our holidays have their roots in pagan traditions adopted and amalgamated with religious events celebrations to ensure an easier integration (Christmas, Easter etc.). However hinduism doesn't share anything with christianity for example, so how does one respect another person's beliefs? And is it a lack of respect to take a holiday marking something that you do not share?

I agree with Dom, it's actually not only about religions, the same points could be made about the other holidays.

DeletedUser

Cheap for non-religious people to barge in and get involved? Tell that to the native African shamans in the 18th and 19th centuries... not to mention the fact that these religious holidays were originally pagan which where taken and used by the Church with the intention of allowing the smooth transition from pagan to Christian - very clever in my eyes.
Where in the world are you getting your facts about pagan to Christian?? Christians started Easter to remember Jesus's resurrection and Christmas to celebrate his birth, although Christmas is used to celebrate his birth it's not when he was born and was only celebrate then so it would be disguised from the Romans, who celebrate the solstice on that day. Perhaps those holidays could have been used to smooth transition from paganism to Christianity but wasn't their main purpose.

Just a thought but you should also try reading the bible once and awhile. You don't have to agree with it, but you can go through and decide what's plausible or not. Although I doubt any one here has or will read the whole bible.

DeletedUser

Easter is the only true "Christian" holiday that was created solely for the celebration of part of the religion. (Jesus's Resurrection)
It can also be viewed as a holday celebrating new life, and many "Non-religious" people knowingly or unknowingly celebrate that. Why do you think your easter egg is hollow?? It is a symbol of new life.

Christmas was created during the time of the romans, to give believers and alternative an alternative to a pagan holiday on the same day. So yes, the date is based on an old pagan holiday, but christmas itself is not pagan.

If non-religious people want to celebrate my religious holidays they can go for it i say :D It merely reinforces my belief in my religion, and its kinda funny seeing all these Atheists taking part in our holidays, its like they are saying "we dont want your God!! But we will celebrate his resurrection" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.