Inactive Topic Spell Block

DeletedUser51129

Proposal:
Make new item which can block any spell, to an attack.

Have you Checked the DNS and PSI lists in the Archives? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?
Yes i have. There were proposal to limit how many spells can be cast on attack.

Reason:
Defender can cast purification on attack if it has any spell buff. Then sea storm, zeus rage, etc within seconds but attacker cant manage to cast new spell on attack in these seconds to defend against these spells. That puts attacker at disadvantage.

Details:
For example someone builds hydras using all city population and sends an attack to a player. Defender casts sea storm 3 times and and almost half of them are destroyed. With a little favor losing for defender and many times more for attacker, simply because attacker cant cast new spell in few seconds.
This new item would block any negative spell for amount of time on any attack sent out from city. It would also block purification.

Visual Aids:

Balance:
It would balance attacker disadvantage against defender.

Abuse Prevention:
As it would be very effective item, it should be rare and limited to events. Similar like new heroes sometimes gets introduced in events. This item could be received once per every event.

Summary:
It could be called spell block, divine shield, divine scroll, possibilities are large.

DeletedUser17513

maybe, but gaining it only once during events will make it very rare and useless considering how fast you use it in comparison how often and much you could aquire it.

DeletedUser51423

I'm not thinking an advantage needs to be given to the attacker. they have the same amount of time to respell their attacks as the player on the defensive to respell. The only thing this would do would allow an attacker to attack something long range and walk away.

DeletedUser51129

I'm not thinking an advantage needs to be given to the attacker. they have the same amount of time to respell their attacks as the player on the defensive to respell. The only thing this would do would allow an attacker to attack something long range and walk away.

Really? Attacker can respell? I want to see that. It would be possible only if attacker knew when defender gona cast purification. And then attacker should have opened spell window, maybe then he have a chance.

DeletedUser51423

Really? Attacker can respell? I want to see that. It would be possible only if attacker knew when defender gona cast purification. And then attacker should have opened spell window, maybe then he have a chance.

It is a risk that someone takes when they attack.. and the attacker does get notified when purification was cast. But it's just my opinion.

DeletedUser51129

It would be almost as same as to be notifed that someone has casted earthquake.

DeletedUser51423

It would be almost as same as to be notifed that someone has casted earthquake.

You can respell. It's a risk that take when you attack. But comparing it to an earthquake isn't the same thing. As you can't assume when an earthquake is coming.

antz2013

Phrourach
Actually you do know when a purification occurs. You receive a report when one is cast on your attack, a similar report is posted when Zeus's Rage and Sea Storm are used as well.

I think this idea, though it sounds good from the offense side, over balances the game in favor of the attacker. To use your example, in order to cast three spells against any particular attack you need to have favor. So unless you are sending a very long range attack, normally at most you can only cast one sea storm and/or one Zeus's fury, with the possibility of a second of one of those spells if you use your daily bonus. The only exception for this would be from event buffs.

The balancing factor in this is the time it takes to recharge the favor.

If you want to use city protection as an example, it can be used both defensively and offensively by helping or hindering the owner of the city in question. As it is considered a positive spell, it cannot be dispelled.

Last edited:

DeletedUser51129

Point i was trying to make that you cant respell attack before it gets sea stormed, zeus raged etc. Anyone saying it is possible please screenshots.

DeletedUser51129

antz2013, Today at 6:50 AM

I got seastormed 3 times in in few hours, can favor recharge so fast?
And if it were, here balancing factor would be 1 item per event.

DeletedUser51423

antz2013, Today at 6:50 AM

I got seastormed 3 times in in few hours, can favor recharge so fast?
And if it were, here balancing factor would be 1 item per event.

there is always favor farming and the daily bonus. It's just a risk you take when sending lon range attacks.

DeletedUser44167

Purification should not be effective 100% of the time
Reduce the favor cost
Limit it to being casted once per attack
With a certain per centage chance of success

DeletedUser51423

Purification should not be effective 100% of the time
Reduce the favor cost
Limit it to being casted once per attack
With a certain per centage chance of success

I do like that concept.

DeletedUser54886

It might be easier to just simply add a 5 minute window for purification... IE: if you cast purification you cant cast another spell for 5 minutes... this would give an attacker a chance to cast again if they are online, if not the defender gets the 2nd hit...

DeletedUser54192

I'm not sure on the 5 minute window. Yes, it is harsh to suddenly have your 300 LS nuke purified and then stormed, but if you give a 5 minute window for the attacker to respell, that is too biased towards the attacker in my opinion. Look at the cost of the spells that each side can use on the attack.

Attacker:
- Huntress - 100 favour
- Invisibility - 120 favour
- Heroic Power - 200 favour
- Favourable Wind - 250 favour
- Return from the Underworld - 400 favour

Defender:
- Wisdom - 140 favour (no lasting effect)
- Desire - 140 favour
- Sea Storm - 280 favour
- Zeus' Rage - 350 favour

The spells that people actually complain about their attacks being hit by are Sea Storm and Rage. So 280 and 350 favour respectively. I also tend to see Return from the Underworld only rarely, as you can boost the strength of the attack for a much lower favour cost by using Huntress or Heroic Power, or if you have Hades favour, you can get 3 invisibility spells (plus spare favour) for the same cost as Return.

So look at the scenario like this:
- Attacker launches their attack. Pays 100-250 favour for a spell to help and/or protect their attack.
- Defender pays 200 favour to remove said spell to debuff the attack and render it vulnerable.
- The attacker now has 5 minutes to cast another spell, for as little as 100 favour. Even with an LS nuke, huntress would be worth it just to stop the damage to your ships.
- If the defender wants to try and hit the attack with a spell, they need to hope the attacker doesn't respell (unlikely unless it's a long TT attack with the attacker being offline, or the attacker has somehow run out of all favour), or more likely, purify again.
- Defender purifies again.
- Attacker has 5 mins to cast another protective spell, for as little as 100 favour.

In the current system, an attacker pays 100-250 favour to buff and protect their attack. The defender usually pays a minimum of 480 favour (purification + storm), and they may well want to use a wisdom spell before the damage-causing spell, so that they can see if it is worth it. So while the defender is getting a chance to damage the attacker's troops, he is already paying significantly more favour than the attacker, if he wants to do so, and runs the risk of casting purification on a decoy attack. If we give the attacker a 5 minute window to respell, then you are going to massively increase the amount of favour that the defender has to pay to cause damage, for a much smaller increase by the attacker. It's a nice idea, but I think it is a bit too biased towards the attacker.

DeletedUser54886

I do agree with you Kal, I was just thinking it provides some window to the purification that would mean it is not an absolute (and there are a number of people whining about the seastorm and rage as you said)... lets face it, if you are a large player and have multiple cities with multiple gods, you can afford this, its the small player who may have been saving up and committed to their one big attack who is at the disadvantage at the moment, this would give them a fighting chance at least to protect their attack... and with only a 5 minute window, that encourages activity, not a bad thing... but yes you are 100% correct the defender is using the lion share of favour... to be honest, most of the time the 5 mins will probably expire and you get to seastorm anyway... but it at least gives that opportunity because at the moment I could cast purification then seastorm the next second and not a thing the attacker can do about it... and if I am lucky enough to get your CS, it could be weeks of planning gone in a second for a smaller player...