Super Alliances Yes or no

DeletedUser

Super alliances seem to be driving the smaller players out of the game. I know the need for them It is just the fact that if you dont join one you never seem to get past the start up point...One super alliance causes another to form to combat the first < soon everone has to be in one or find a new world and hope.

DeletedUser

This is caused by World Wonders...... Get rid of them, and you get rid of most super-alliances.

DeletedUser

That may be one of the things but I dont think its the root problem

DeletedUser

This is the reason I am leaving the game. We had about 8 players in a new small alliance. The giant superalliance with hundreds of thousands of points in my ocean decides to wipe us out and take our cities instead of fighting the other superalliances. As the original poster said, if you don't join a giant alliance, you have no chance of survival. Fun?

DeletedUser

It is quite possible to survive against a super-alliance, especially in a conquest world. It is much harder in a revolt world, but if you are active, it is do-able. My advice is join a small experienced team on the rim of a different world.

DeletedUser6029

I totally agree with Jono. I don't think that a smaller group that has set themselves up properly will be very hard even for a super alliance.

DeletedUser

the whole mindset of grepo seems to have changed from having the most massive wars possible to having the easiest road to victory possible, and i think it's because of the world wonders. the new grepo roadmap says that wonders will be changed, so hopefully it will help to bring the fighting (no, running over newbies is not fighting) back to grepo! i'm not usually pessimistic, but i somehow feel like as long as there is any kind of end-game/victory condition, the vast majority of people will end up being more concerned with reaching that end-point with as little competition as possible :(

DeletedUser6029

the whole mindset of grepo seems to have changed from having the most massive wars possible to having the easiest road to victory possible, and i think it's because of the world wonders. the new grepo roadmap says that wonders will be changed, so hopefully it will help to bring the fighting (no, running over newbies is not fighting) back to grepo! i'm not usually pessimistic, but i somehow feel like as long as there is any kind of end-game/victory condition, the vast majority of people will end up being more concerned with reaching that end-point with as little competition as possible :(
I dont know what I was thinking on my first post...I meant to say I think a good set up group can still give super alliances a run for their money...but I agree with world wonders. I myself am guilty of setting up my WW net before going out and battling like a fool. I do agree with you, I would be very happy to get back to playing Grepo. But you know, it took going from 1.0 to 2.0, canning the hero worlds as they were intended for them to realize that maybe finding the sweet spot in the middle was the best move. I am looking forward to it.

Dang...rereading it, I sound drunk :p I agree that world wonders changed the dynamic (that point and a few of your others.)

DeletedUser

smaller veteran alliances eat mra's for breakfast .....newbies belong in mra's ....they learn the game make their name known and earn a spot with a smaller elite alliance down the road ....its natural that way......as far as the care bear thing ....ya olympia is going through that right now lol ....all the elite alliances are merging so they dont have to fight any more ....it's sad really.....scary tooo ....lol a mra sized elite alliance omg lololol ....weeeeeeeee what fun .......but i do think grepo could come up with something that would tone down the sharing is caring game play.....i say put a 50 man cap on all alliances period!

DeletedUser

Super Alliances... World Wonders.... 24/7 mobile apps (with instant attack warnings)... GA (Golden Accelerations).....

A lot has changed in Grepolis.

Its not the same game our grandparents played... way back when... ummm... like over three years ago.

Do these changes make the game better?

YES.... and at the same time... a most definitive NO.

Its like when the local paintball field went from single shot pump rifles to semi-automatic speed loaders...

Or when my favorite brand of ketchup went from a slick glass bottle to a plump plastic bottom-squeeze.

You know?

DeletedUser3613

I remember having to poke the tv with a long stick .... I was there guys !!

nowdays I have a remote and have only put on 6 stone since i started using it ;)

DeletedUser

hahahaha.... so you're old enough to understand: "rabbit ears with aluminum foil"? :D

DeletedUser3613

I remember mate ..... i remember !! I used to have a copper cable coming off the rabbit ears and darted to a ball of foil to an outside wall :cool: could pick up the neighbors satellite then ;)

DeletedUser

That's brilliant!

Where were you in 1977 when me.. and fuzzy Fonzy... needed you??? :rolleyes:

DeletedUser

No I don't know... I just started playing

Oh... ok, fair enough, let me better explain.

Although I can now reign down an endless barrage of flying waxballs upon my goggled enemies...

I can no longer openly run down the hill... screaming like a banshee... right through the open gate of the ply-wood castle... sending my ill-aiming enemies to paintball purgatory...

At least not without succumbing to someone else's endless barrage of flying waxballs.

Both good and bad in that new paintball paradigm.

The ketchup thing is obvious. :rolleyes:

DeletedUser6029

hahahaha, stupid thing won't let me rep you again for the laughs, although I should charge you for the loss of Dr. Pepper! (ish)

DeletedUser

Super alliances seem to be driving the smaller players out of the game. I know the need for them It is just the fact that if you dont join one you never seem to get past the start up point...One super alliance causes another to form to combat the first < soon everone has to be in one or find a new world and hope.

To name one, I remember in Tau, by the end, Kyptyia, or whatever there name was, had total control and no one could stop them. They were a superalliance and, eventually, forced me to quit.

DeletedUser

Pfft I've never been bothered by 'superalliances', at least, for the most part. In Rho, EN and RB were never a problem for me, they were too busy fighting each other :D. Just swoop in and steal a city here and there. Even after RB was gone, EN never really posed much of a threat.. I don't know if you'd call em super alliances but :/

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser6029

it is possible to beat a super alliance with good strategy. When people quit due to that, it seems to me it is more a failure of strategy and game know how than the alliance's fault.