Newspaper The Rhethymnos Weekly - Third Edition

DeletedUser20921

Warning, this edition is very long so if you don't want to read all, skip the interviews, some are quite frankly a bit disappointing

Alright guys, the world just started and we have already seen our first major disband. As you all know, Spyder's alliance, Red Nation fell and crumbled because of his lack of time. This historical event has triggered a huge power change in the world, putting 3 power houses finally in the rankings, Death Wing Company, Madness and The Empire. Why did this happen? What has it changed? Who has it affected? All that will be answered in this edition of The Rhethymnos Weekly!!

First off, the rankings:

RankAlliancePointsPlayersAverage
1Madness133296294596
2Death Wing Company132636274912
3Two for Flinching111141283969
4ChAoS94072303136
5Soul Destroyers92132303071
6ESPIRT DE CORPS89907293100
7The Langoliers81783282921
8The Empire81362223698
9EVOLUTION OF D3TH77021272853
10CenTAUrianS71542292467
11The Forgotten68598262638
12ESPIRT DE CORPS III68026272519

As you can see, Death Wing Company and Madness have taken the spot of Red Nation and Two for Flinching is starting to fall behind. A new alliance joined the top 12, The Forgotten, looking pretty good. The Empire has seen a massive increase in members and now is a contender in the top 12, good work Ashopath. Many of the early MRA's are starting to fall, ChAoS, The Langoliers, ESPIRT DE CORPS ect. We will see which of them has the will power to keep going.

Interview
Now since this weeks hottest topic is Red Nation's disband, all of the interviews this week are centered around people's opinions on this event. Enjoy!!

First we have an interview with Elpistolero4528 who tells us about their "war" with Illyria

Kayfon: What do you have to say about the disband of Red Nation?

Elpistolero4528: Seemed really weird. Not 100% sure why everyone would leave just because one leader left, sorta shows that there was a lack of structure. I know that if I were to leave or one of the other leaders were to leave we would still progress as an alliance and take it in our stride. Maybe Spyder shouldn't have pulled it up so suddenly and groomed someone to take his place. Oh well I guess it really doesn't matter because what's done is done

Kayfon: How do you think this will affect the world as a whole?

Elpistolero4528: I think it will allow alliances to come through and emerge. Death Wing Company and Madness have particulary benefitted from this so it will be interesting to see who the new superpower is. I think it will throw 55 into a period of war unless they have pacted with one another. To be honest I am not quite sure where Madness is as an alliance right now in terms of their location, they seem to be everywhere but 54. I have to say that it looks as though 54 will not be largely affected

Kayfon: Good new for you guys, what do you have to say about the war between you and Illyria

Elpistolero4528: Not much actually. We took our first city the other day and it was nice to put a few timings into practise and it went rather smoothly. I think now its more of a thing where we get the majority of our members in the revolt/conquer stage and we start to take their cities on a daily basis. They have even approached us for a pact which isn't really that good for their PR

Kayfon: You have been overcome from the BPA rankings, any thoughts?

Elpistolero4528: Well I am not too concerned by the global rankings, we are top in ABP and that is a feat in itself seeing how little competition we have and that means Madness have made up the ground on us in BPA due to defensive BP which is hard for us to come by when we look at our competitors like Illyria who hardly attack and I doubt they know how to attack.

Kayfon: What are your plans in the future, wars ect?

Elpistolero4528: Well it was to move into 44 and expand through 54 before Red Nation disbanded and now we are reassessing and looking at who we believe to be the real deal and which areas will the best ones to expand into

Now onto the other side of the war, Illyrian Rebel

Kayfon: Your alliance is top defenders, care to say something about that?

Illyrian Rebel: We started this server on the wrong foot with the alliance Two For Flinching. The consequence of this is that our alliance, and many other alliances our size have been in constant battles with them. My alliance being the closest have been attacked the most. However, my members are not weak, they know how to manage their city and so therefore they can rebuild their armies in no time.

I think I am right is saying that only 4 oceans are open, oceans which consist of the major alliances in the top 20 fighting each other. When things expand they will realize that war can't get us to the top of this world. I however have realized this already, that's why I am proposing NAPs and PACTs with top alliances. I may not get what the answer I want however, only because we started off on on the bad side of some of those alliances.

Kayfon: What is your next move, being the underdog?

Illyrian Rebel: Absolutely not, I feel that any alliance can come up top, no matter how low down you are, just remember that this world is still new. It just depends on the next few steps that each alliance takes and each step can come with a pro or a con. I'm going for the pro so that would mean that my top priority is to start some good relations with alliances I can trust so that we can all be successful. However, I have seen that many alliances are taking the wrong actions, actions that could lead to their downfall.

Kayfon: What made you start a sister alliance?

Illyrian Rebel: Firstly, my alliance has attracted a lot of attention from players in ocean 54. Some of these players have the required points to join the main alliance, some however, do not. I don't want to turn people away if they really want to join, so we created the brother/sister alliance exactly for that purpose. With the current alliance cap being at 30, it is hard to supply the demand. So, to do that we must create a second alliance.

Secondly, my alliance has set up a minimum points rule to give our players the incentive to expand. If at the end of one week a member doesn't reach the minimum then he/she may not stay in the alliance. Once again I do not want to turn people away, so I give them the option to join the brother/sister alliance.

Thirdly, we must keep up in the race to succeed. The top alliances have set up brother/sister alliances and if we didn't do the same then we will have been outrun.

Kayfon: Do you think that will provide more targets for Two for Flinching players?

Illyrian Rebel: It's the same for all alliances that have a brother/sister alliance. We will have more members which means our enemies have more targets BUT we will also have more members to support each other.

I have to add that both our alliances (Illyria and Two for Flinching) aren't at full scale war. Both our alliances have more alliances to deal with than just each other. So not all of our members are targets and not all of their members are targets either.

It looks like both alliance have their different opinions on this war, we will just have to wait and see :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

great read, looking forward to the next one

would rep you but i can't atm

DeletedUser20921

Now onto Death Wing Company with Burdock:

Kayfon: As you know, Red nation's been disbanded, any thoughts?

Burdock: Well I was in a way looking forwards to fighting them for this ocean but since they have disbanded that's no longer an option. I will admit though I had high expectations for their alliance, but with the leader gone they just crumbled away.

Kayfon: Well it seems you have taken advantage of the situation, how do you think this will affect this ocean as a whole?

Burdock: Well with some of Red Nations strongest members joining our alliance, the odds have shifted in our favor. The way I think this will affect the ocean as whole is simply by leaving, Red Nation has gave us an easier time conquering this ocean and left the other alliances in a tough position. With no two powerful alliance fighting against each other, they will have no time to grow and get stronger to defend or attack us. So by Red Nation leaving they have caused major shifts in power.

Kayfon: With all the competition gone, what's your next move?

Burdock: Right now our primary goal is to tighten our grip on total control of this ocean. Afterwords we will decide our next move.

Kayfon: How do you think Red Nation has affected the entire world, top allinace and attacker alliance gone?

Burdock: Well they just made it easier for other alliances to rise to power. With an alliance as big as them gone it has given other alliances an opportunity to gain a foothold in this world.

Kayfon: Your alliance has risen to take Red Nation's place, how does it feel?

Burdock: Well im not going to lie being the most powerful alliance feels nice, especially since I am the leader of this alliance. Although none of this would be possible without the work of my team mates, they deserve all the credit not I. If any of them are reading this, I send my most sincere gratitude for working together to be the best.

Top alliance of the world seems to be happy about Red Nation's disband and they are coming out strong, we will just have to see what's in store for them later.

Now onto Nightmares of Elysium, a solid alliance with an interesting history, Vircona

Kayfon: Tell me a little about your alliance, history and what not.

Vircona: Well, basically, anybody who's been playing Grepolis for very long knows about the original Nightmares of Elysium. They were easily the best group of players Grepolis has ever seen. They played a couple servers as a pre-made and quickly jumped to the top of the BPA and BPD rankings, then used the city slots from those BP to get to the top of the points rankings in no time. Usually, they lost interest in the server and quit before too long.

Zeta, where I first played with them, is where the really made their mark. They led Zeta in BPA, BPD, points, and average points for about 18 months. They mopped the floor with any alliance that even thought about fighting them. (I had to quit the server eventually, but I heard they got into a 4-against-1 war later on and eventually lost.)

After I quit due to real-life time constraints, I rejoined Grepolis a year and a half later in Lamia and "re-established" the Nightmares. Really, I'm the only real original Nightmare in the alliance. In Lamia, I was teaching some real-life friends how to play Grepolis to get ready for the next server (which ended up being this one--Rhethymnos). Things happened to go fairly well there despite starting the server VERY late, and we ended up ranked 3rd or 4th at one point for points, and were consistently in the top 7 for BPA.

A lot of our top players grew bored with the server and left to focus on Rhethymnos, so things are falling apart there now. I'm working a bit on fixing it, but there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm. But things are going well so far here. Of course, our point rankings don't show it, but only a moron judges by points at this stage in the game. Many of the alliances above us are still point-whoring it up. Plus, we're ranked 6th for BPA and 5th for BPA--not great, but solid enough for now I guess.

Kayfon: Wow, interesting history, what do you think about the world so far?

Vircona: I LOVE the settings. The only thing I can complain about is morale, but that's less important compared to the other settings. I love the 3-speed, revolt, and the 30 alliance cap is wonderful.

Shaping up to be a good few months of wars for the top of the world, too. Death Wing Company was looking decent, and once they picked up the few good players from Red Nation, they're looking strong right now. The Empire is on the rise as well, looking like they'll be improving drastically soon. Madness is another contender for the top later on with the wars. Madness only has one stand-out, but almost their entire alliance is full of very solid players.

24F is pretty overrated so far, it looks like to me. I hear they're good players from another world, but they're not showing it much here. They're leading the BPA rankings I guess, but early aggression isn't necessarily indicative of a strong alliance. Who knows? Maybe I'm wrong and they'll blow everything out of the war. I just don't get that feeling from them, I guess.

Kayfon: What opinions do you have about the Red Nation disband?

Vircona: Lol. I saw that coming. Posted it in the forums, too. Spyder just doesn't seem to possess the leadership skills necessary for a good pre-made. They had some high-point players, led the BPA, etc. but only really had a few good players. The rest were point-whores and dead weight. I saw it coming. I figured they'd last 5-7 days longer than they did, and I overestimated them. It was pretty obvious it wasn't going to work out.

Kayfon: What do you want your alliance to become, in the long run?

Vircona: Obviously I have high hopes, and want to make it to the top. With only the players we have right now, we won't make it. We have some VERY good players--just unfortunately not enough of them. It's hard to say how things will go until we start conquering and battling more. The Empire is in our area, as well, and they'll be hard to fight when the time comes to war them.

I'd like to get into the top 5 for points with a significantly higher average points than anyone else, and get to the top of the BPA rankings, for short-term goals. The rest will follow if we can make it there.

Kayfon: Anything you wanna say to the grepolis public?

Vircona: Uhm... Nothing in particular. I guess good luck on the server, and thanks for making it a fairly interesting and dynamic one so far.

Their off to a good start, solid but time will tell

Now for Madness, current number one alliance, Dev7in

Kayfon: What do you have to say about Red Nation's disband?

Dev7in: I thought it was inevitable, so no surprise.

Kayfon: I see that you have benefited from this disband, how do you think this will affect the world?

Dev7in: An alliance disbanding in the first week or so generally happens, it won't have any effect on the way things turn out.

Kayfon: Do you think that new wars/pacts will spring up because of this?

Dev7in: I am not sure, i really doubt this incident will have any kinda bearing on things here.

Kayfon: How do you think Madness is doing, anything you wanna say about your alliance?

Dev7in: We're doing ok, always room for improvement. I would rather our actions spoke for us than me hyping them up.en he joine

Dev7in seems like he's got it all covered, we will have to see what happens next :)

As you might have guessed, I'll be talking about Spyder's "interesting" history this week.

Here's an exclusive interview from him:

Kayfon: Why did you start Red Nation?

-Spyder-: To be honest, I was in the mood for making an awesome alliance. I wanted to get the best group of players around, and pwn the world. That is what we did until I had RL problems. I am an unstable leader, and that is why my alliances usually fail.

Kayfon: If you know your unstable, then why make it in the first place to make people suffer?

-Spyder-: With Red Nation, I thought I'd be able to make it stable for at least a few months. Everything was going awesome, but then a relative of mine fell, broke both arms, made a knot the size of a peach in her head, and started going into depression. She requires constant visiting to cheer her up. I also have a few other things that came up. Like work and traveling.

Kayfon: Oh, that sucks, do you think you will still play?

-Spyder-: For the next month or two, I'll be on and off. It depends on how my relative is feeling, and what else comes up. I'll come back full time eventually, but probably not as a full leader. If I do make alliances, they will be small and have more than one leader. I will play on world Beta on the US server.

Kayfon: How do you think the world will change because of your actions?

-Spyder-: I think that some other alliances will get more powerful because they will take in RN members. More people will be mad at me, as always. I think that ocean 55 will now be even more conflicting than it was.

DeletedUser20921

Although I don't know all the alliances that he has made, I'll try my best to find some info about them from grepostats, forum ect... Feel free to add anything that you think I missed as a comment. His career started in Alpha where he joined an MRA called The Imperial Empire. He learned the good and the bad ideas about the game from that world. Next came Beta all the way to Epsilon where he made many nooby MRAs and alliances which all eventually failed. He says he learned alot about leading from there. After a few worlds of inactivity, he joined Xi, made Aquafire which eventually died due to inactivity. Next alliance he made was is Pi, Pwnies. It was according to him a longer lasting alliance and ended by the time Heraklion started. Then he joined Sigma where he made Malicious Paradigm. It did ok till they all "quit". Then came Upsilon where he made Nexus. They did ok till half his players split to make a new(better) alliance.Then came Heraklion where he made Brotherhood of Anarchy. The rest I'll briefly touch in with unless there is something special :). Then came The Trolls in Knossos, didn't last. Next world Marathon with SharksWithFrickingLasers, didn't last... Next was Naxos with AweShock, it lastest longer than his others but still died with a merge. Finally, he made Red Nation in Rhethymnos.

Well that's his entire history. Of the 40 worlds(excluding Hero Worlds), he made alliances in 13 of then and 13 of those died. His urge to make alliances in every world he is in brought on much hardship from everyone around him, friends and enemies. His dramatic life played a huge role in his failures throughout Grepolis history. Everyone remembers him as the guy who made alliances that always fell. Everyone gets mad at him when his alliances fail. But in the end, most people should just see him as a person trying to succeed. After all, isn't this what Grepolis is about? Some alliances succeed some fail and in the end, it's just a game :) :pro:

Now onto our latest edition to the newspaper, the Best and World Player/Alliance of the week!!

Best Player:

Ashopath, for beating the odds, starting an alliance practically one man and succeeding in the end. Not only that but doing the impossible, getting a second city 12 hrs after Beginner's Protection ended, well done!!

Worst Player:

-Spyder- for disbanding the top place alliance and failing at making yet another alliance

Best Alliance:

The Empire, truely a work of art, great job

Worst Alliance:

United Peacemakers, pacted with 1/4 of the world's alliances, you get the point

Guys, I have realized that this is getting to become alot of work and I would really appreciate some help, message me in-game, Kayfon and I'll talk to you from there, I'm just too busy in-game and in RL.

+rep if you liked

Message any comments here

Sory guys, was a really long newspaper, if you don't want to read everything, skip through :p

DeletedUser

I can help. I don't know your in-game name. My in-game name is Hagop Boranian. I have made a 6 issued newspaper in Athens and made some minor issues in other worlds so I have the experience needed to do this.

DeletedUser

Your opinion

Im the founder of United Peacemakers in Rhethymnos, and if you did not play in this world with our alliance, you have some difficulties describing what it is like right - but you could tell me why YOU think its the worst alliance, I didnt get your point :)

Have you thought about this could be the most funny way to play, i have more to do than you playing the game, and i think thats fun :)

And I think United Peacemakers makes it much more fun to play Grepolis than any other alliance, since most of the players arent high-ranked-superior-heroes :)

Butt keep licking A S S on the big ones, it looks like your having fun after all...

DeletedUser

You don't see how you've set your self up to suffocate yourself. Look, you need BP to get cities right? And you need a good amount to get more city slots. By eliminating any targets near you, you eliminate any possible BP opportunities. Therefore you probably won't get past 3 cities :p

DeletedUser

You don't see how you've set your self up to suffocate yourself. Look, you need BP to get cities right? And you need a good amount to get more city slots. By eliminating any targets near you, you eliminate any possible BP opportunities. Therefore you probably won't get past 3 cities :p

well dont speak up about things you dont know about and never tried ok, and lets see how far i will go before your dreams come true :)

DeletedUser22650

never tried it but i have watched it fail on every server since kappa when i started and time and again watched the top abp players and alliances dominate until they get bored at which point any simmers lucky enough to have been far enough out of the way can inherit the server...i say inherit because they certainly dont win it off of their own backs......maybe you should try the simming without the diplo, i can attest to that being weirdly fun, if maybe short lived when ppl get their acts together and rim me :D

DeletedUser

He knows what hes talking about, city festivals are the same as sim city, :pro: Your Coalition will fall apart in a few weeks. After i send a few LS and CS's your way :p

DeletedUser

Egoisme

Have any of you ever thought about who this game is for, is it for a handfull of "mad" dedicated players or is it the masses ???

If you want the masses to play, maybe you should look at the morals of the big alliances, they attack with arrogance everything as they like and wipe out small players who spend much time here, now tell me how much fun those big alliances accummulate in real time - try and think of all those who actually experience their aggressions after building a decent city...im not gonna say more - i might regret...

I just invested in gold in naxos, everything was fine, and here comes this 30 times big players and wants my A S S - W T F is that about is that fair ?????????????????

And WHO will help that little guy ??? normally NOONE right, because those who can, are too big a deal and cant spend their time talking to small guys under 1000000 points - how about interviewing some of the little guys ?

DeletedUser

Have any of you ever thought about who this game is for, is it for a handfull of "mad" dedicated players or is it the masses ???

If you want the masses to play, maybe you should look at the morals of the big alliances, they attack with arrogance everything as they like and wipe out small players who spend much time here, now tell me how much fun those big alliances accummulate in real time - try and think of all those who actually experience their aggressions after building a decent city...im not gonna say more - i might regret...

I just invested in gold in naxos, everything was fine, and here comes this 30 times big players and wants my A S S - W T F is that about is that fair ?????????????????

And WHO will help that little guy ??? normally NOONE right, because those who can, are too big a deal and cant spend their time talking to small guys under 1000000 points - how about interviewing some of the little guys ?

The newbies start off learning slowly in MRAs, then they start reading guides, and eventually they become the bigger players.
And the bigger players that attack smaller players, is not an act of ignorance, either they're looking for more farms, or they're looking for BP. It's all a part of the game.
And yes Jonorocks1 is in this world.

DeletedUser

Who the game is for?

Well i think the game has been made to make money, they want players to buy gold and the more the better. you will find that the majority of the players at the top of the rankings especially at the begining of a world buy more gold then anyone else. they want the new/little players to buy gold to try and get themselves out of trouble, there not bothered if you get taken out because you'll have bought gold and will usually in most cases restart and buy even more gold to try and catch up and not get taken again.

is it fair that the little guy gets taken, well imo yes, its a strategy game, if you can take a city from a small guy with minimal losses in quick time, then why go for the big guy whos city you might not take or will suffer heavy casualties. the aim of the game/ to win the game its the first ally to build 4 world wonders, you can't acheive this by being small you need to be in a strong ally with as many cities as you can get.

as for who will help the little guy? i say this, yes there are some arrogant players around that won't talk or offer advice to people. But there are many more that if they are asked nicely for some advice or help they will give it, but unfortunately the majority of messages that they receive are either hate mail from players that they have attacked or begging to be left alone. The players that will help are of the opinion that the more quality oposition there is around the better the game will be in general. They want to fight but they want good challenging fights, fights that go on for weeks/months that require great tactics and coordination. but to get to this point in the world, the number of players and allys needs to be thinned out. To get help you have to be willing to help yourself, approach a good ally, ask them what requirements they have for joining, tell them why they should take you on, activity, teamwork and a willingness to listen and learn counts for a lot in this game, especially on a speed 3 world.

Eklekticistisk666 if you want to pm me ingame i would be more than happy to offer you some advice, but you might need to be quick because i'm not sure how much longer i can keep 5 allys off my back :)

DeletedUser

Well said. Yes im ingame Eklekticistisk666, feel free to PM me (user: El Jono) for some advice/questions.

If you are new, the best thing you can do is start In the rim (I know its not the socially acceptable thing) but it allows you to develop at your own pace, and the oppostion is not quite so difficult. When i rim a player i like to think im sending them to a better place ;)

DeletedUser20688

Nah guys they are going to do Olympics every day to get CP. Why play a war game to just build up citys, go play sims or something for that.

I agree with the worst alliance but I disagree with the best. You are just going by rankings

Weh Team > the rest of the noobs in this server

DeletedUser

Weh team is going to get rimmed if you continue that Corey :)